• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking sticks

J F Gregory

Camino Frances , Camino Primavito 2024
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016, Portuguese 2021, Frances and Prima
I have a question about carrying walking sticks as carry-on luggage. I have read many threads that's a they have to be checked in baggage. Out of Seattle the TSA has told us we can take them through as carry-on baggage but the airline might not approve it. Do any of you have any experience in this?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've heard yes and I've heard no.
My experience is that we were NOT allowed to carry on our walking sticks, and had to put them in a mailing tube and check them.
On the way home from Spain, Joe's sticks were taken away and put into a barrel with other "contraband."
He was, of course, quite upset.
After that, we never take sticks anymore - we buy a cheap pair in Spain or just buy a wooden walking stick there - they are inexpensive, quite nice to use, and help support local economy.

Hi JF, you might like to check out this https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/flying-with-trekking-poles.4636/ or any of the many other threads on this issue. It has been discussed frequently. Consensus has been check your poles unless you are content to risk having them confiscated at the gate. An occurrence almost guaranteed at Santiago airport; though arguably it doesn't matter by then. Yes, there are frequent tales of successful carry-ons but there are many more of loss or last minute check-ins. It doesn't seem to matter what the rules are, see link, as the decision is made by the individual staffing the gate. Maybe, if the TSA will provide you with a clear written statement that you are permitted to take a "penetrating object' into a flight cabin because its ok its only trekking poles you might be ok. But the gate staff just might decide they don't care what the TSA thinks because the safety of the flight is their responsibility at the moment they make their decision.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a question about carrying walking sticks as carry-on luggage. I have read many threads that's a they have to be checked in baggage. Out of Seattle the TSA has told us we can take them through as carry-on baggage but the airline might not approve it. Do any of you have any experience in this?
I checked my pack & poles in a duffle to protect the pack. Glad I had the duffle was shredded. If the pack was small enough to to meet Carry on I would have done so. ( poles are small enough to fit inside) my pack was an Osprey 48l Kestrel

Mine fit in my backpack which I checked in

It is definitely against TSA rules to carry them on the plane, but as said above, it depends upon the specific TSA agent and the gate agent. What you don't want to do is try to ship them. Ours, as well as many others on this forum, got stuck in customs in Madrid. We didn't see them until a month after we got home. Easy thing to do is buy them there. The last time we bought a fine pair at a tourist souvenir shop. They were surprisingly nice, especially for 25 Euro a pair, cheap compared to US prices.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had no trouble traveling out of Salt Lake City or checking in at Madrid airports. In Santiago I checked my poles and witnessed the couple in front of me unpack their pack and have to remove their poles that fit completely inside their pack.

I would absolutely carry on my poles in the US and I would check them in at Santiago de Compostela. This is my personal experience in September and October this year (2015.)

Mike

Hi JF, you might like to check out this https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/flying-with-trekking-poles.4636/ or any of the many other threads on this issue. It has been discussed frequently. Consensus has been check your poles unless you are content to risk having them confiscated at the gate. An occurrence almost guaranteed at Santiago airport; though arguably it doesn't matter by then. Yes, there are frequent tales of successful carry-ons but there are many more of loss or last minute check-ins. It doesn't seem to matter what the rules are, see link, as the decision is made by the individual staffing the gate. Maybe, if the TSA will provide you with a clear written statement that you are permitted to take a "penetrating object' into a flight cabin because its ok its only trekking poles you might be ok. But the gate staff just might decide they don't care what the TSA thinks because the safety of the flight is their responsibility at the moment they make their decision.

Another conversation around this topic also currently on Pacer Poles

I had my Osprey (aura 50) as carry on on 3 flights from/to the USA without a problem but had my poles and pocket knife checked in a small bag . (It was actually a cover for a folding chair )I kept the small (very light bag) with me during my walk.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

I took my sticks home on Iberia Airlines. I had to check them and they charged me 75 Euros!!!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.