• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking trailers ... ?

forestfloor

Hi ... Has any one out there tried using a walking trailer like the one below?
https://www.radicaldesign.nl/en/product ... heelie-iii
I'm a celiac (no wheat, oats, barley, rye) and very allergic to onions and garlic too. I anticipate having to carry a certain amount of food to get by.
Would really appreciate comments regarding the usefulness of the trailer (and whether I could get by without carrying food/stove etc.)
Cheers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, you can drag a trailer if you want, but there's plenty of food in Spain!

When I walked the first time, I ate probably an 80% raw fruit and vegetable diet.
I can not eat wheat in the USA but the spanish wheat was fine for me.
I suspect that's because they treat the USA wheat with bromine... :roll:

Anyway, nearly every tienda has fresh fruit and vegetables for sale.
We managed fine.

I read a book by Gerard W. Hughes "In Search of a Way" describing his pilgrimage to Rome some years ago. In it he describes how he took a 'trailer' made by a friend for the purpose of not having to carry i heavy back pack.
I think the gist was he regretted it as it often broke or got bogged down in mud etc. Not to mention pulling it up hills and then bracing himself for its weight on the way down the other side.

As Annie mentions there is plenty of food for all requirements on route so maybe a back pack would suffice?

I wish you joy and peace on your journey and may God guide you safely.

Chris

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Forestfloor,
I met a German couple walking where the man pulled a trailer. In his case it was because he had back problems and was unable to carry a pack. It seemed to work pretty well mostly, though it got muddy in the wet, and was tricky to handle when the ground was (rarely) quite uneven. He did have to carry puncture gear though, and I remember feeling very sorry for him one day, when after an exhausting day of walking, he had to sit down and mend a puncture.
Margaret

This trailer looks pretty good - easy and portable over muddy terrain.
A camino pilgrim recommended this one too.
http://carrix.ch.tripod.com/

I just read this thread again.
I didn't mean to brush off your question.
I apologize if I sounded like that.
Sometimes I know I really sound rude in these emails...
I think when you can't look people in the face, a lot of communication is lost.

Anyway...the Mormons pushed handcarts across the prairie so I'm sure it's do-able.
I saw a man doing the Camino in his wheelchair also...
And I've seen bicycles pulling carts.
I think solid tires might be better than air-filled tires.
Maybe you could have something built?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
To Forest
If i undertand your concerns correctly it is more about having to carry your special dietary requirements that you are considering a trailer of some sort rather than being unable to carry a 'normal' loaded back pack?
If that is indeed the case then like Annie, maybe there are others who can help offer information on what is available regarding your dietary needs along your journey and the trailer issue may be then a mute point?

Of course any information on trailers is great anyway as it offers an alternative to carrying a potentially heavy ruc-sac!

To Annie
I agree with you there Annie. It is very easy to be misunderstood when using text as a communication medium. I personally didnt think you sounded rude and no one has commented on it so i think your safe lol. Besides if we all look upon comments as if they were made with the best intentions there would be less reason for anyone to be upset.

Chris

Thanks so much to you all for your input and thought provoking comments (and links :idea: )

I realize that my attraction to the trailer isn't to avoid carrying a heavy pack, but because I haul a toboggan for a lot of the winter with firewood/laundry/groceries etc. and it's comfortable, and familiar, and I enjoy it! (I live in the very rural North of Canada.) The walking trailer seems a natural progression.

My time to walk is sometime during March.April/May 2011(still to be decided) and mud is a very definite consideration! I am also sceptical about my ability to be able to sustain myself sufficiently - I've travelled a lot and it tends to be the major issue (especially the onions and garlic bit :? ). Your reassurances regarding food are appreciated.

I tend to think, especially after more research, that I will stick with the trusty backpack!

Annie, Many thanks for your later comments. I have been down the "oh no, did I really type that? That's not how I meant it" road more times than I care to say! :D

I appreciate all your time .... thank you.
Sarah

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Sarah.
Are you walking the Camino Frances route?
If so and you walk your earlier months i will look out for you as i am walking the route mid march and april.

Good fortune and happy times on your journey and God keep you
Chris

Hi Chris ....
I'm leaning towards mid March to mid April but am trying to find out more about weather and temps. It sounds like every month has it's challenges and it's rewards!
I may well see you on the trail .... take care.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sil, you are wonderful! and so is your blog. THANK YOU!
I live in a climate that has 7 months of snow and temps as low as -53c for weeks on end. Why on earth am I thinking of walking in March?? Sure I can deal with snow and cold weather, probably better than most ..... but why should I? (This is what I love about pre planning. :D )
As I am being very reckless and throwing away a good job to get a life, I can go any time I like! March just worked the best, but I can make anything work. I do kind of fancy some sun - but do want a break from intense crowds. I will keep reading, and all your comments are very much appreciated.
Thank You.

Chris .... what has made you choose mid March?
I'm now curious! :?:
Sarah

Sarah, you'll see on the Walking in Spring post that there were 16 straight days of sunshine last year in March - but then the weather closed in with a vengance! Even May can be cold with snow in the high places. The weather is so unpredicatble - just look at the snows last month! I come from the sub-tropics and have thin blood so I avoid the cold seasons altogether.
Onions and garlic are Spanish staples, so I would suggest you don't order anything from a menu or ready-to-eat from a supermercado unless it is fruit or desert. I am a vegetarian and eat a lot of salads, lentils, pasta, fruit, nuts, bread etc. (Another reason to go when it is warmer!)
Many albergues have kitchen facilities but for those that don't, it might be worth taking a small camp stove. Some of the new cooking pots are really lightweight and you can buy the gas over there.
It would be great if you wrote about your food experience whilst walking the Camino. It would be a great help to others planning on doing the same thing.

Hello ForestFloor-

While walking the Vézelay Route in France in the Spring of '06, I met a Dutch woman on her way to Santiago. Because of a recent surgery, she couldn't carry a backpack—so she used a walking trailer—similar to the type seen at the link you posted. She said it was easier to stay on paved surfaces, so she didn't strictly follow the route according to the guidebook. But she seemed quite happy with the set-up: it worked well for her. She did take extra maps, since she wasn't always following the guidebook. That allowed her to stay close to The Way.

If food is your concern, I remember the Camino Francés has plenty of opportunities for organizing your own food (shops; cooking in refuges; menu varieties). Use your maps and guidebooks to plan ahead, so you'll know when you should pack a bit more food. Sundays can be tricky, as sometimes shops in small villages or towns are closed. I hope you have a wonderful journey! Spring is, in my opinion, the best time: days are long, everything begins to bloom. Buen Camino!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
We met a group of wonderful, talkative, older French pelerins on the Arles route last year. They all had an interesting home made convertable backpack/trailer. Basically they mounted wheels on the back of the pack. When the trail was too rough for a trailer, ther wore them. When they hit smoother going, particulatly the pavement, they flipped the packs over and used their hiking poles to pull the "trailer". I'll try to post an image in a bit.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I actually saw a couple using one of these on my last Camino, Falcon.
They seemed to be perfectly happy and carried their tent along with their packs.
I had forgotten about it until I saw your photo.

Hi Forest
Two things. I think your idea of a trailer is great given your food issues. But I believe you will not need to carry your food as much as you think. So much is available in the shops just like here in Canada (Peterborough Ontario).

When I did the CF in 2009, one man told me that he was almost denied a bed at an albergue because he used a trailer. It all depends on who the hospitaliaro is at any given time I guess. Anyway, just be aware of this potential drawback.

o.k., one more thing, you will want to think about getting the trailer safely through the airline system. You can have it go through "Special services" like bikes and baby strollers do. That increases the chances of getting it where you need it in one piece.

Bev from Canada

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hiya ,
My name is Peter and my base is Sydney Australia
I was googling looking for any links re: people walking with trailers,radical designs is one of the websites that I googled .
Here is a look at our history of walking with trailers.
We started about 4 years ago when inspired by Jon Muir who walked across a major Australian desert pulling a trailer he made.
My thoughts were to make up two trailers by converting trailers designed to be towed by bicycles,
I designed shafts and water carriers and installed brakes(actually the brakes were fitted after the first trip of two trips we have made.
The first trip in 2008 was finding and walking the rail trails of Victoria and south Australia ,that was a total of approx 900 kms.
Now I personally have kayaked ,bicycle toured and bushwalked most of my life and let me say that walking with trailers has found its place in my heart with my other pursuits,we ( Karen my partner )
And I were so enthused with the first trip that we improved on the original trailer and again set off on a 1600 kms 4month trip and two years on am sitting here writing this to you two months before setting off on a 3000 km walk in western Australia and expect to be on the road about 6 months,
We will be walking two tracks in Western Australia ,the first is called the bibbulmun track and the second is called the mundi bindi track,if you want some pictures and more info of our trips please email us on
Peterheadford@yahoo.com.au
Cheers,
Karen Schulz & Peter Headford

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I know shoes are discussed quite a bit here but I have a last minute question as I head out on the Camino Frances next Sunday. I have a weaker ankle so I purchase the Oboz Sapphire Mid...
Anyone had any experience with getting collapsible (fold up) poles through airport security checkpoints in carryon baggage. In particular when exiting Australia and Spain?
I stopped in the pilgrim store Armería Castro.Deportes y Tienda del peregrino today, and they carry bags of wool to use on your feet. https://maps.app.goo.gl/Zb8fM4AK2qyCuGYt6?g_st=ac

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.