• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Warning - Changes in the Route from Lisbon to Santiago

Diogo92

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
C. Português 2013, 2014
C. de Fátima 2014
C. do Salnés 2015
Hello fellow pilgrims. I’m here to warn you about some changes in the Caminho between Lisbon and Santiago de Compostela.

I’m doing this because it appears that there haven’t been any warnings to the pilgrims, and Via Lusitana didn’t gaved any information about this.

It appears that the way doesn’t pass anymore in the village of Azinhaga, near Golegã. The Municipality of Golegã, changed the way from the inside of the village, to the outskirts of the village through some country side terrains. This will make people pass outside the village of Azinhaga, and therefore, not having any option to find water, food or to take a small refreshing bath.

So, I warn everybody that are intending to do the Caminho de Santiago between Lisbon and Santiago de Compostela, to be very careful when you reach near Golegã and Azinhaga and to check the yellow marks. I don’t know if they already have done the improvement of the plates, and if they have changed the indications.

Best regards
Diogo

P.S: For those who understand portuguese, here it is the link of the news: http://semanal.omirante.pt/index.asp?id ... on=noticia

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Obrigado Diogo. Muito prazer .

Infomacâo utile. Obrigado outra vez

Bom caminho Para nos ainda 16 dias ! Ficaremos contactar-nos depois !

Thanks for this news.

It seems we have a bit of tension between those who want the pilgrims to be able to walk off-road (I for one will always take an off-road option, asphalt just kills my feet) and those who rightly recognize that having the Caminho go through the town is a win-win for pilgrims and the local economy alike.

I remember walking through Azinhaga and aside from being able to see the very modest birthplace of Jose Saramago, I also had a chance to buy some fruit and check in with the pharmacist about my allergy medicine.

I hope that some good compromise can be reached here, maybe with arrows showing options through town or not through town?

I´ll check with my pals over at ViaLusitana to see what they think of all of this. Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi there Albertinho! How are you my friend? Hope it's everything ok with you and your wife. Weather has already improved in here, 25 or more degrees in the day. No rain at all my friend! :D

I'm just 13 days to start it, if it's the Mother Nature will in 13 days by this time I'm probably 12km from Fatima, and I'll catch the Bus from there to Porto to start the Caminho at the third ;)

peregrina2000, since you probably have read the news, we are also talking about a little bit of political things in here. I understand that it's very important for the pilgrims to go outside from the urban areas, to think and to have a calm Caminho, but has you've said, passing through Azinhaga was very important for the majority of the pilgrims. They should do it has in Rates, where the way splits in two. Let us hope that they solve this situation faster than expected, because the Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela it's a more and more searched route.

Best Regards
Diogo

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back