• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Lisbon.

Derekbarff

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2023
Hi. I would to like to walk from Santiago to Lisbon in May and June. How popular is this trek? Tips and advice gratefully received. Can I get a pilgrims passport from the pilgrims office in Santiago? Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walking to Lisbon from Santiago is not very popular at all. If you want to meet other pilgrims you should walk from Lisbon to Santiago. You can get a pilgrim credential at the Se Cathedral in Lisbon.

Walking to Lisbon from Santiago is not very popular at all. If you want to meet other pilgrims you should walk from Lisbon to Santiago. You can get a pilgrim credential at the Se Cathedral in Lisbon.
Walking from Santiago to Lisbon you would probably meet many more pilgrims than doing it the other way round. But you won't get much time to get to know them! :cool:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi. I would to like to walk from Santiago to Lisbon in May and June. How popular is this trek? Tips and advice gratefully received. Can I get a pilgrims passport from the pilgrims office in Santiago? Thanks.
The sections of the route that align with one of the Caminhos de Fatima might be somewhat more popular than where the CP route and the Fatima routes deviate. So walking from Valença to just south of Coimbra would align with the Caminho do Norte, and then again from Santarem to Lisbon with the Caminho de Tejo, just in reverse.

I am not sure why one would want a credencial issued by the Cathedral in Santiago for the Camino de Santiago. You clearly won't be a pilgrim walking to the tomb of the apostle, and also not intending to receive a Compostela. If you were intending to walk to Fatima as a pilgrim, I would recommend getting the Caminhos de Fátima credential, noting that there is no equivalent to the Compostela issued at Fátima. I don't know that there is any equivalent credential for Lisbon, which is a departure point for the Caminho do Tejo, not the end point.

Nonetheless, it should be possible to get a credencial (for the Camino de Santiago) at the Pilgrim Office.

As a trek, it isn't very popular, although some people do walk north to south towards Fatima.

I'm not sure what you would be doing with a pilgrim's passport, though. As you note, it is a trek not a pilgrimage. Lisbon is not known as a pilgrimage destination. Any pilgrim passport (credencial) that you get in Santiago would likely be one that identifies you as a pilgrim to Santiago, for use on future pilgrimages, and you will be walking  from Santiago.

People do use these credentials when walking home from Santiago, but they are generally people who have also walked to Santiago and the journey home is just the culmination of their pilgrimage  to Santiago.

Walking from Santiago to Lisbon you would probably meet many more pilgrims than doing it the other way round. But you won't get much time to get to know them! :cool:
It's not going to be very popular, but there will be people walking that direction on the Fatima trail, which does travel a good part of the trek on the same trails as the Camino. I'm sure you can get a pilgrims passport in Santiago and have it stamped as you travel to Lisbon.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

At least 15 years ago, a couple of us strolled south from Tui to Fatima, a significant part of your proposed walk. Although it was certainly not a popular route at that time, it was most engaging, even amusing. This was in the day before GPS use, so Brierley’s guide and arrows (blue arrows to Fatima) were critical. The blue arrows often only showed up once or twice a day, and I could ask if anyone has ever tried to walk a Camino backwards using the yellow arrows - not easy. We often encountered concerned locals who would stop us in order to point us in the right direction, but as soon as we said ‘Fatima’, the Portuguese people blessed us with ‘bom Caminho’. Nowadays the gps apps will guide you south. Back then getting lost, which happened daily, was a wonderful opportunity to engage the Portuguese people, and although they laughed at times about where we were, they were most helpful in gesturing us as best they could toward our esteemed destination.
You will meet many pilgrims before Porto, but notably fewer after that, I only recall one or two. Nonetheless, it’s a beautiful, quiet walk through amongst an unassuming, friendly people and a quaint and scenic countryside.

Enjoy!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back