• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many days from Lisbon to Santiago?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked to Fatima first, then from Tomar to SDC. With two rest days, it took me 35 days. My aim was to do no more than 20 km/day, although that was sometimes foiled, and there were a few days where I did over 25 km.

@Gretelquintero1, my initial reaction to your post was;
'you're leaving tomorrow & you're only asking  now how long the CP is?' 😯
But I see you are from Portugal so therefore a lot more familiarity & less planning required than for us estrangeiras/estrangeiros!
Lisbon to SdC took me 28 days incl 1 rest day in Porto.
The CP remains my 2nd favourite of all the walks I've done.
Enjoy...& happy trails! 🤗
👣🌏

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
But I see you are from Portugal so therefore a lot more familiarity & less planning required than for us estrangeiras/estrangeiros!
👣🌏
Can I ask what is your first ?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can I ask what is your first ?
😊 Of course! My favourite walk by far is the Way of 88 Temples around Shikoku, Japan which I undertook in 2017.
I don't wish to derail Gretel's thread so I'll say no more here except that it was an extraordinary experience...I loved it & still miss it to this day. 🤗
👣🌏

Walked from Tomar to Santiago in 21 walking days, and one day off. Then walked from Santiago to Muxia in 4 days.

Rough maths, could have walked the full Lisbon to Santiago, in 28 days of walking.

Keeping it simple and not including the espiritual route which I took..
A random question, what is the correct distance from Tomar (central route) The wise pilgrim.app says 459.3Km ninja says 463.6Km, Cicerone says 431.6Km, brierley (2019 edition) says 477.9Km??
Just a bit curious.

My compostela says 493Km, im thinking it includes the boat walking dustance section, is that the more accurate distance?

Last edited:
Walked from Tomar to Santiago in 21 walking days, and one day off. Then walked from Santiago to Muxia in 4 days.

Rough maths, could have walked the full Lisbon to Santiago, in 28 days of walking.

A random question, what is the correct distance from Tomar, wise pilgrim.app says 459.3Km ninja says 463.6Km, Cicerone says 431.6Km, brierley (2019 edition) says 477.9Km??
Not that I'm too worried, I can look at a map and be proud of how far i walked without worrying about the exact distance. Just a bit curious.
All those distances are correct. It depends on which precise path you followed. Which diversions, short-cuts or alternative routes you took. Your feet will know how far you walked

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
All those distances are correct. It depends on which precise path you followed. Which diversions, short-cuts or alternative routes you took. Your feet will know how far you walked
As far as i know, they are using the main central path, not the variations. How does each publication/app calculate what the main central route is??
Is the pilgrim office data the official distance?
I personally am averaging it at 460Km, plus extra Km from any variations.

Just out of curiosity.....

Last edited:
A random question, what is the correct distance from Tomar, wise pilgrim.app says 459.3Km ninja says 463.6Km, Cicerone says 431.6Km, brierley (2019 edition) says 477.9Km??
What defines 'correct' in your mind? None of these will be the actual distance that you walk, and only one in ten will be correct at the artificial accuracy of one tenth of a km given here. Simple, small, differences generally arise from different authors choosing different starting and ending points for their measurements. I'm not sure that would explain all the variability in those figures, which seems to be almost a day of walking.

Last edited:
As far as i know, they are using the main central path, not the variations. How does each publication/app work out what the main central route is??
I personally an averaging it at 460Km, plus extra Km from any variations.
Most of the guidebook writers will have walked the route at least once (unless they just blagged all their data from someone else). Most will no doubt have used one of those pernicious apps available to all to measure their over-the-ground distance. Brierley was famous for using two simultaneously. The variations: just goes to show how unreliable satellite orbits are or perhaps what happens to accurate measurement if you keep nipping off-piste for a pee without switching off your step counter

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Most of the guidebook writers will have walked the route at least once (unless they just blagged all their data from someone else). Most will no doubt have used one of those pernicious apps available to all to measure their over-the-ground distance. Brierley was famous for using two simultaneously. The variations: just goes to show how unreliable satellite orbits are or perhaps what happens to accurate measurement if you keep nipping off-piste for a pee without switching off your step counter
Like your thinking...makes sense.

Anyways, back to the subject, I'd give it a month of walking days, to complete the full distance. Some would do it in less. I wouldn't want to walk 30 plus days most days, since I like to take my time and take photos along the way.

Enjoy your walk. It's not a race, it'll take a few days for your body to adapt so find a steady walking pace, have breaks when you need, and you'll work out what distances work best for you.

Last edited:
The variations: just goes to show how unreliable satellite orbits are or perhaps what happens to accurate measurement if you keep nipping off-piste for a pee without switching off your step counter
Another way that adds variance to readings is the setting in the app for how often a reading is taken. The more often one is taken the closer to the actual distance walked (at least in theory).

My compostela says 493Km, im thinking it includes the boat walking dustance section, is that the more accurate distance?
I think that you mean that your Distance Certificate says 493 km - the Compostela doesn't list a distance.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think that you mean that your Distance Certificate says 493 km - the Compostela doesn't list a distance.
Yeah, I meant the distance certificate distance, minus 30ish km for the section I took the boat for, equals about 460Km , seems about right.

We left Lisbon mid May this year and took 35 days including the Espiritual Varient with rest days Tomar, Coimbra and Porto.

And if you do run short of time, for extreme weather, injury etc, there's no shame in using public transport to catch up - advice from pilgrims close to me.
I was as lucky I managed okay time wise, but it's good to know that was an option.

When you have to an annual leave and air fares booked well in advance, it can be hard to get timing right.

I personally ended up with too many spare days then wanted, so squeezed in the walk to Muxia, as I misjudged how improved my fitness and stamina would be, and how enjoyable longer stages can become.

Start walking and you'll work it out for yourself.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
👣🌏
Im very adventorus! Im from mexico, live in the US and first time ever in Europe!

Im starting tomorrow and I want to know how long this camino is from Lisbon?
I walked the route from Lisbon to Porto to Santiago mid April to mid May this year (2023). The official distance on the Compostella is now 634km with some of the route changes. I did 26 days of walking. The only break I took was 4 days in and around Porto. It gave me a good chance to rest, play tourist, clean everything well, and then be in and around a whole new group of Peregrino's once I left Porto. I took the traditional route meaning I did not go to Fatima and I stayed on the Central Route once leaving Porto vs. the Coastal Route. I will say I am a bit of a fast walker. I did roughly 9 30-35km days in the beginning out of Lisbon but shortened my days once I hit Porto as there was much more infrastructure (and people) available.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Im starting tomorrow and I want to know how long this camino is from Lisbon?
I smile to myself and think...oh how I would like to be 'cut from the cloth' of this pilgrim...starting a Camino tomorrow and having no sense of how long it might take! Unfortunately, in my dreams!

It's fun that we are all mostly so different....as I head back to my spreadsheet...planning the next.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back