• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Washing clothes

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Depends where you try to dry them and how warm it is, I guess. For washing, try getting some of that squirty tubed travel wash, if not, shampoo will do. If it's dry outside, pin your clothes to your pack and air them throughout the day's walking if they're still damp.

Re Washing Clothes

Socks and Clothes made of "technical" fabrics, the sort advertiseded as t wicking sweat away will dry after washing much faster than Cotton.

People say that Merino wool can be worn for a week or so at a time without needing to be washed - Not sure I would want to go that long between washes though.

Mercury

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The more polyester in your fabric the better for drying purposes.

Well worth spending more to speed drying.

With 9 days of continuous rain last year, my Tshirts could dry inside overnight. Cotton stuff did not dry overnight. With 40°C on the Meseta I had to wash daily; drying fast is paramount.

Buen Camino; I wish you well.

I too like technical fibres. Silver threaded socks are meant to be less smelly too... although if that's a myth in the same way that wooly socks don't smell, then ignore that!!!

Oh, and if you can, get yourself a tube of travel wash... Failing that, shampoo or shower gel will help clean your stuff.

Tommy,
I can add little to the above, the man made fabrics do dry quicker, but it was common to see clothes hanging off packs during the day.
I took safety pins instead of clothes pins, they have more uses, are lighter and smaller.
Also, private Albergues usually have washer and dryers, if you stay at one ever other day or so, you can get your laundry washed and dried for 3 euros or so. Less if you pitch in with a companion.
It's great to have choices, but the main thing is to enjoy your Camino.
Buen Camino
Jerry

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Depends where you try to dry them and how warm it is, I guess. For washing, try getting some of that squirty tubed travel wash, if not, shampoo will do. If it's dry outside, pin your clothes to your pack and air them throughout the day's walking if they're still damp.
Just take babyshampoo, will do for all, hairm body and clothes, and smells good!

The time of year will directly effect this part of your daily routine. Warm days, clothes will dry on their own, outside. Wet days, it will take a dryer and it is not cheap. But as each person's amount of clothing is not a lot, team up with others to wash and dry. So, instead of paying 8 euro alone, adding some buddies can drop the cost to 2 -3 euros.

Adding a, "washing bag," to the pack is not a big item and will facilitate, "communal laundry." Add this to the other great tips here and even laundry can be an adventure!!! No? Well, worth a shot. :cool:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.