• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water

K

karenfromcali

Years ago when I went to Spain I was advised not to drink any of the water and to use bottled water to brush teeth etc as our systems would not be used to the local bacteria. Does this still stand? Or was it overkill?
Thanks,
karen

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think it's overkill. If water is non-potable, the font is so marked. I found one font marked 'non purificado' or something similar, where you might decide not to use the water. If you carry water treatment tablets, you could use them, but my experience was that I didn't need to use them at all on the CF.

The water is fine, I drank it a fair bit in the first two weeks of my camino without incident. (The only reason I drank less of it after that was that developing an "addiction" to sparkling mineral water. )

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Tap water in Spain is safe. Unless otherwise marked, even the fountains dispense good water. No need to purify any of it.

I found the water in cities to have a strong chemical flavour ... I prefered the water obtained in the villages and dumped city water at first oppourtunity.

Its amazing when considering how constricted water supplies are in some areas.

As Whariwharangi says the water here is safe. Water fountains all over Spain as well as the Camino are safe unless stated by a sign saying " No Potable" it may say "No Tratada" which means it has no chemical treatment. Usually it´s good but may give you the runs if not used to it.;)

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What about water along the Via de la Plata? I know fountain water is perfectly safe, but I've heard the fountains on the VdlP are fewer and farther between, as are villages/bars. And since the terrain is so open and unshaded, I'm concerned about running low.

Are there streams still flowing in May/June? I'm considering bringing a SteriPen for water treatment if wild water is an option.

What about water along the Via de la Plata? I know fountain water is perfectly safe, but I've heard the fountains on the VdlP are fewer and farther between, as are villages/bars. And since the terrain is so open and unshaded, I'm concerned about running low.

Are there streams still flowing in May/June? I'm considering bringing a SteriPen for water treatment if wild water is an option.

I have not walked the Via de la Plata so I do not know if surface water sources can be relied on. Perhaps the question would be better posed on a separate thread and under the topic of Via de la Plata.

I own a MIOX water purifier. I would be confident of using it in a wilderness area. I'm not sure its intended for treating "wild" water downstream from industrial sources such as farms or villages or even runoff from a road and I would not have the same confidence as in wilderness areas. Perhaps it would be wise to consult with the manufacturer of your Steripen.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Years ago when I went to Spain I was advised not to drink any of the water and to use bottled water to brush teeth etc as our systems would not be used to the local bacteria. Does this still stand? Or was it overkill?
Thanks,
karen

If you want buy bottled water in the supermercados, it is actually cheaper than buying it in the US. A 1.5L bottle is 45-55 cents euro and the small 1/2 liter bottles are around 20-25 cents euro, the tiendas will be more and the cold ones as well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you want buy bottled water in the supermercados, it is actually cheaper than buying it in the US. A 1.5L bottle is 45-55 cents euro and the small 1/2 liter bottles are around 20-25 cents euro, the tiendas will be more and the cold ones as well.

But that would be really wasteful and unnecessary! All those throwaway plastic bottles for no reason..... :eek:

Spanish tap/fountain water is just fine. It's not Mexico. I didn't have any stomach problems on either of my Caminos, and never encountered anyone who did.

But that would be really wasteful and unnecessary! All those throwaway plastic bottles for no reason..... :eek:

Spanish tap/fountain water is just fine. It's not Mexico. I didn't have any stomach problems on either of my Caminos, and never encountered anyone who did.

I never have issues with water in Mexico, the only nasty tasting water on the Camino was in the bigger cities.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.