• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Watercolor Subjects

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I am headed for the desert for the winter and would love to do a series of watercolors based on the Camino. Does anyone have a favorite photo or memory that might be fun to paint?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Your own? How can you paint somebody elses experiences? Buen Camino and Happy Creating, SY

PS I would give anything for a desert retreat just now ...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've thought about this a bit while planting between showers
if I were headed to the desert, I'd paint that:)
otherwise, if I had a talent for art (which my twin got, not me)
--I'd paint a quiet street at sunrise, with cobblestones and a bike leaned against the wall and bread hung on the door, and mist hugging the ground, after you've climbed over a convent wall to get out before offical opening times
--I'd paint candles glowing in a small forgotten chapel, and a tired, over-worked priest hearing one last confession before his long journey home
--I'd paint a veteran, hugging the back wall of a church they don't feel quite right entering, taking a knee on the stone floor during Mass, pack on their back as they are used to doing in field services
--I'd paint a newly formed Camino couple full of the thought of love that may not last the separation...or may make a love that will last forever
--I'd paint a credential full of sellos, overlaid with the faces I've met along the way
--I'd paint Roncesvalles at sunset and the cruz de ferro at sunrise and the foggy morning view from the monastery at ziortza and all the beaches of the Norte
--I'd paint the horses and cattle on the Hospitales, and the view above the clouds at the abandoned hospital Montouto...
I am truly in awe of your ability to create

edit: rain showers while in my garden, not any other sort....even if I do my best thinking in the other sort

Last edited:
Hi Annie -

It's so kind and thoughtful of you to do some watercolours using photos which are special to other Forum members.

I love the Camino waymarkers - I love wondering about the stories behind the stones placed on most of the waymarkers. Who placed those stones? Why? How long have they been there and how long will they remain there?

I first saw the waymarker which features in the photo back in 2012. It was beautiful. I loved its weathered appearance and I wondered how old it was. It's located just as one walks into Astorga, at the edge of a field and opposite the derelict industrial building complex. I revisited the waymarker twice in 2014, just before and just after volunteering at Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal. I took this photo on the second visit, after the volunteership.

Here's the photo -

Favourite waymarker.jpg

How fantastic to be heading out to the desert for the winter! The colours that you'll see! When I think of the American deserts I think of the art of the incomparable Georgia O'Keeffe - her paintings of the desert in New Mexico, where she lived for so many years - are a source of inspiration and appreciation for her artistic genius. Have a very special time out in the desert, Annie.

Buen Artistic Camino - and peaceful days. I hope that you receive a wonderful range of photos from Forum members.

May the disappointment of your Camino this year fade away and may you find joy through your art.

Best wishes - Jenny

I've thought about this a bit while planting between showers
if I were headed to the desert, I'd paint that:)
otherwise, if I had a talent for art (which my twin got, not me)
--I'd paint a quiet street at sunrise, with cobblestones and a bike leaned against the wall and bread hung on the door, and mist hugging the ground, after you've climbed over a convent wall to get out before offical opening times
--I'd paint candles glowing in a small forgotten chapel, and a tired, over-worked priest hearing one last confession before his long journey home
--I'd paint a veteran, hugging the back wall of a church they don't feel quite right entering, taking a knee on the stone floor during Mass, pack on their back as they are used to doing in field services
--I'd paint a newly formed Camino couple full of the thought of love that may not last the separation...or may make a love that will last forever
--I'd paint a credential full of sellos, overlaid with the faces I've met along the way
--I'd paint Roncesvalles at sunset and the cruz de ferro at sunrise and the foggy morning view from the monastery at ziortza and all the beaches of the Norte
--I'd paint the horses and cattle on the Hospitales, and the view above the clouds at the abandoned hospital Montouto...
I am truly in awe of your ability to create

edit: rain showers while in my garden, not any other sort....even if I do my best thinking in the other sort
Smallest_Sparrow ... sometimes on the Forum I see a post which absolutely blows me away with its brilliance and depth of feeling ... your post has done exactly that today. Thank you.
Annie ... thank you so much for posting the thread. If Smallest_Sparrow's post is any indication for what may come, I think Forum members are in for a very special and significant thread.
Cheers to you both - Jenny

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
there are lots of good pics on the random selection I see every time I log on...you could pm the photographers...I don't know if any I took would be worth turning into art...i suppose I could post some....another thought I had would be a series of different nature type setting that have arrows, like those that are painted on trees, sea walls, etc. ... pictures that are pretty by themselves, but contain an arrow or scallop

painting from pictures is still amazing! I wish I could do it

Your own? How can you paint somebody elses experiences? Buen Camino and Happy Creating, SY

PS I would give anything for a desert retreat just now ...

Not everyone takes good photos (though this is not the case for Annie, as anyone checking her blog can see). My photos are meaningful to me, but most are not particularly beautiful or "paint worthy". However, if I painted a scene inspired by someone else's picture, I would not be painting their experience, but using their photo as a way of expressing my own. Have a good winter Annie.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I do have my own memories but I paint best from a photo. I'm not good enough to paint from memory. :p:p:p
It would be great to feel that some of our photos had inspired your painting. Find a photo that speaks to you and then when you post it you could say from "..'s" photo. Have a good time in the desert - you might even paint something there too.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What a beautiful photo Pat - is it in the Pamplona/Logrono area? Not having walked this part of the Camino I'd be interested to know.
Cheers - Jenny
No Jenny -that is the view looking back towards Castrojeriz. Its about 2/3 of way up. I agree its a great photo. M

What a beautiful photo Pat - is it in the Pamplona/Logrono area? Not having walked this part of the Camino I'd be interested to know.
Cheers - Jenny
Thank you Jenny. As Mike says, its about half way up Alto de Mostelares and looking back towards Castrojeriz.
Attached is the photo coming from Hontanas and looking forward towards Castrojeriz. As you can see, everything is green, as it early May 2012, I have seen photos on here where everything is brown, as they were taken later in summer. Its a beautiful place.

20120503_115626.jpg

Thanks @wayfarer I am to be starting from St Jean on May 2 or 3 (2017) so hopefully it will be this green then. It was awfully brown in Sept 2015. Some of the Spring photos are so green its almost impossible to believe its the same country. Cheers

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you Jenny. As Mike says, its about half way up Alto de Mostelares and looking back towards Castrojeriz.
Attached is the photo coming from Hontanas and looking forward towards Castrojeriz. As you can see, everything is green, as it early May 2012, I have seen photos on here where everything is brown, as they were taken later in summer. Its a beautiful place.

View attachment 29715
Oh I so loved that part of the Way. Actually, I loved it all!

Not a photographer like Mike. Not even close but these evoke a feeling esp the dogs looking out the door
N

Attachments

• IMG_1120.JPG
    IMG_1120.JPG
    503.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    438.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    486.5 KB · Views: 7
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you. I started the CF in Pamplona so was not privileged to see that particular view.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, I just settled into the desert for the winter. I haven't begun any Camino watercolor paintings yet, but did finish this one of my son's dog, Data, recently. I painted it from a photo I took one morning when he was gazing out the window. The original photo is also attached. I really enjoy doing this type of realistic painting. It's easier for me than the "loose" styles - probably my Type A Personality! :pIMG_3620.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3564.jpg
    IMG_3564.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 2
Pong,
The photo is shot looking west along the Camino Frances which follows the rue de La Citadelle in Saint Jean Pied de Port, France.
in fact, it is (I believe) taken standing in front of what was L'Esprit du Chemin, now Beilari...

Well, I just settled into the desert for the winter. I haven't begun any Camino watercolor paintings yet, but did finish this one of my son's dog, Data, recently. I painted it from a photo I took one morning when he was gazing out the window. The original photo is also attached. I really enjoy doing this type of realistic painting. It's easier for me than the "loose" styles - probably my Type A Personality! :pView attachment 30179

amazing. So beautiful. I am so envious...this is my envy emoticon:D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Disclosure: Among many other things, I am a watercolour artist

Critique: @Anniesantiago - brilliant composition and capture of the moment and the eye is perfectly rendered. Not an easy medium to work in but my favourite as you work from light to dark.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back