• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waterproof things in July?

Jan_89

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés: July/August 2014

Camino Francés: May/June 2017
Hello Pilgrims!

I'm starting Camino Frances in JULY and I wonder if it is important to have a waterproof clothes and things.. I just try to minimize things in my backpack, you know.. Any advice how to walk in the summer time? You know what to definitely take or leave at home etc.. Anything? :)

Thank you! ;)

Jan

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello!
All I can say is that it can (and in my very limited experience, does) rain in July at some stage, and not just in Galicia. If you carry nothing to protect you, you'll get wet. I think the most important is to ensure the contents of your backpack stay dry, at least.
Hope this helps?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just before my first Camino I'd read a book by a pilgrim who rode to Santiago from Paris and had soaking rain the whole way. As a consequence I was paranoid about keeping dry and took a 3-layer storm proof Goretex longline jacket, waterproof boots, and Goretex rain pants. The first 3 days from SJPDP were cold and drizzly, then there was nothing but sun and heat to Galicia - about 28 days of clear sunny skies. In Galicia it did rain, but was far too hot for the Goretex. Next time I just took a poncho.
The one predictable thing about the Camino weather is that it's unpredictable. But mid-summer you'd be unlucky to be cold.

Agreed 100% on the need to keep your pack contents dry. A nice and light 5 kg pack can become a rock when carrying an extra 10 kg of absorbed water, not to mention the problems of wet gear once you get to the albergue. A pack cover or poncho designed for a pack is needed.

You probably can go without rain protection, but I think you need to be mindful about the need for wind protection. Hypothermia is just as common (and possibly more common) in the summer as in the winter. If you're wet and get a cool breeze/wind, you can get chilled very quickly. Even a brief dip in your exertion level (bathroom break, quick snack, stopping to look at a map, etc.) can suddenly expose you the chills. Alcohol, dehydration, and simple exhaustion can all accelerate the problem. Tech fabrics can also contribute because they can dry so fast it leads to flash cooling.

You won't melt from the water, but you can die from summer hypothermia. And while this (arguably) sounds more dramatic than it deserves, it's a risk to manage with knowledge. Even taking away the topic of death, a bad case can set you back a couple days of recovery. Even a light case can impair your judgment enough that you're not as careful crossing a road, navigating a steep descent on scree, etc.

The solution is simple . . . you need to buffer your core for rapid heat loss. For me, that means two elements, wind protection and insulation. (Fair warning, search these topics elsewhere on the forum, and you'll find religious wars fought over them. My thoughts on the matter are valid, but others approaches can be similarly valid.)

Wind-protection --- Gore-Tex, eVent, and similar waterproof breathable fabrics are windproof but can become bloody hot in the summer with any level of exertion. They also lose their breathability under high humidity. At 8 oz on the low end and 16 oz on the high-end, a simple jacket is a lot of extra weight to carry if not in use. A poncho in the wind defies my personal definition of practicality, but others swear by them. My personal preference is a very lightweight wind shirt that has a durable water repellent treatment. Under a light rain, they are more than sufficient to keep the rain out. They are cool in the summer heat, highly breathable (unlike the waterproof breathable membranes), and dry quickly. Most importantly, they help prevent rapid heat loss from wind.

Insulation --- I'm not talking fleece here, which will sweat out under any exertion level at all once the ambient temperature is high. I'm talking about your basic tee shirt, which (in my opinion) should be a lightweight merino wool or a merino/tech fabric blend. The reason is that wool retains its insulation factor even when wet. Lightweight merino wool is quite comfortable in the heat (though I'll readily acknowledge that the tech fabrics can be even more comfortable). Quality merino is soft and not itchy (some people do react to it, but most don't). The important thing here is that a tech fabric can dry so quickly under a breeze that you get a "flash cooling" effect, which is great unless you get too much of it. But, wool buffers that heat loss and reduces the "flash" effect.

Couple these with a true backpacking umbrella, and you can handle a vast range of weather conditions quite comfortably and safely.

Hello Pilgrims!

I'm starting Camino Frances in JULY and I wonder if it is important to have a waterproof clothes and things.. I just try to minimize things in my backpack, you know.. Any advice how to walk in the summer time? You know what to definitely take or leave at home etc.. Anything? :)

Thank you! ;)

Jan

I did the Camino last July/August. I carried no rain gear at all, and only had a waterproof bag in my pack to put stuff in in the event it did rain. I did not experience rain a single day while walking from SJPDP to Santiago and I and my gear stayed dry.

In retrospect I guess a rain jacket would have been nice in the event it did rain on me. I was not so worried about it because the weather was so warm and my clothes were designed to dry quickly (the synthetic type used for running in, etc).

Definitely carry something to keep your pack and gear dry. It's easy to dry yourself off, but it can really suck if all your gear gets wet, including your extra clothes.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks a lot, guys for the advices! I really appreciate that, because I have no experiences of Camino yet..;) Every single advice is good!

Skin is waterproof. Streak! :)
So is latex body paint, but the world and (more to the point) the Guardia Civil are not ready for this pilgrim in either attire! I can just imagine the picture my son sends back to my wife, with me in handcuffs and latex . . .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 'weight vs what if conundrum' is strong in this thread!

You can prep for everything but then weigh yourself down...but if you don't a Camino of happy memories could turn to a horrid damp slog. Yes skin is waterproof but any fool can be cold wet and miserable lol

When I got to Spain in 09 I had wet weather at either end (Pyrenees & Galicia) and beautiful sunshine in between, if a bit windy.

Ok down to kit:

A light soft shell would fit the bill to cut out wind and evening chill when dry AND light rain (not heavy). They make great anytime jackets and breath better than any waterproof. My fav is the Haglofs Lizard (look out for a blue one on the Primitivo in July).

Combine with a poncho for very heavy rain just in case at a fraction of the weight of a GTX jacket, thereby limiting weight if not used. It'll also double as pack cover!....p.s pack covers only work for the areas covered so you may get water getting in between your back as I did.

Take good light trek trousers which will dry out in no time if soaked. Over trousers would be good but depends on whether you want the weight. Wet legs won't effect you as much as a wet torso would.

Hope this helps,

buen Camino

Oh almost forgot: waterproofing your pack.

I prefer to waterproof the gear on the inside with waterproof roll top (very important) stuff sacks.

If you use several smaller ones it'll help organise your gear (eg different colours or just written on). Roll tops keep all water out if rolled 3 times and can also compress the air out to get your gear into a smaller space (especially with spare clothes).

They also can be inflated and rolled 5 times to create an air seal and hey presto one camping pillow! Or turn inside out to make a water carrier. Plus with the clip you can take your valuables into the shower completely dry and clip to the metal work for security!

...If you can't tell I love my stuff sacks :cool:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
...If you can't tell I love my stuff sacks :cool:
Big time DITTO on that for my "dry bags" for all the same reasons. I use them for my clothes, and then basic silnylon or cuben fibre stuff sacks for everything else (but I still roll the top before packing them along the same logic as the dry bags).

Question about backpack cover: I just bought new backpack 35l that I love. It Sits Very comfortable but it does not have its own rain cover. I got a cover separately, but still undecided between cover or just a black trash bag. We will be on Portuguese Camino for a week, so there is a big chance that we will not have rain at all. ... (Or it will rain all week long :)
My back pack has a curve on the back with a net for breathing, so my back does not touch the back of backpack. The cover does not cover that part of the bag and I have a feeling that that's is where it all will get wet. Is there any way to protect this part of the bag? Is Altus poncho the only option?

Question about backpack cover: I just bought new backpack 35l that I love. It Sits Very comfortable but it does not have its own rain cover. I got a cover separately, but still undecided between cover or just a black trash bag. We will be on Portuguese Camino for a week, so there is a big chance that we will not have rain at all. ... (Or it will rain all week long :)
My back pack has a curve on the back with a net for breathing, so my back does not touch the back of backpack. The cover does not cover that part of the bag and I have a feeling that that's is where it all will get wet. Is there any way to protect this part of the bag? Is Altus poncho the only option?

I suppose the bag getting a little wet is less important than the contents getting wet. I tend to overkill, and even with a rain cover on the backpack, I still put all the contents in waterproof bags. These bags could be something as simple as thick trash bags (thinner ones fall apart too quick), or big plastic zip-lock bags or bags made just for that purpose. The trash bags are light, and cheap and take up almost no room when not being used.

Yeah, a poncho that covers you and your pack would work as well. Poncho or jacket, all a matter of preference. I just find the jacket more comfortable.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the Frances last July into August and it rained in three places.

1. Mid July it rained for one day when I was between Zubiri and Pamplona. The rain was light during the day but there were big storms in Pamplona in the evening.

2. End of July it rained for an hour when we were between Itero and Boadilla.

3. Mid August (ok not July) it rained for 2 days when we were between O Cebreiro, though Sarria to Morgade. This was constant rain and very cold, especially between O Cebreiro and Triacastela. Many pilgrims were really caught out here as O Cebreiro albergue was full very quickly, all accommodation was full by mid afternoon and pilgrims were not allowed to sleep in the church. Many ended up getting taxis to miles away as all other places in the area were full apparently. A group of younger pilgrims also got lost in the fog, got scared and called out the rescue services. For the next 2 days it was raining all the time as we went through Samos and ended up in Morgade, where it cleared up again. Great experience though.

So yes, I'd take wet weather clothes and something warm as well. Maybe it will not be needed, but much better to be safe than sorry. Light rainproof trousers and coat don't weigh much more than a poncho (which I found to be a pain to put on and not effective enough in the heavier rain).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

So….. we had 1 inch of rain here at home in a 4 hour period. We found it and opportunity to test our packs/setup. We hiked 12 miles in pure downpour. We both wore shorts and no pack covers as mine...
I’m walking the Frances in late Oct thru November. Is a 55L osprey too large in your opinion? Thx is for suggestions. Frank
I’ve been on Camino Norte for about eight days averaging around 30 to 35 km. I’ve gotten some blisters on the sides of my feet mostly the pinky toes and one on my big toe. I just came to the...
I have a pacemaker on my left upper chest, right where a backpack strap goes. I am considering using a large messenger bag, approximately 20 litres, and a small hip pack, less than 5 litres...
Camino Frances SJPP 3rd July - Santiago 7th August. All good? Need to add sunscreen, and toiletries. Clothes: 1x Poncho 1x Shirt 2 x long sleeve footy 2x Shorts 1 x trackie 2 x Shoes 3x...
Buen Camino everyone. First timer here. Going to be starting my camino from porto at the end of this month and trying to find an e-sim that will work in both Portugal and Spain. I will there for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.