• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

We booked our flight!

Jane A

Time of past OR future Camino
... and that makes it real. My friends and I are starting our camino next April. So excited to begin our journey. We're starting on April 28 from St. Jean. I saw some other posts of people starting around the same time. This forum looks like a great way to stay in touch - so maybe we'll run into each other.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am planning my Camino in late April/May as well. Do I need to start booking my tickets now? It seems like a long time away.

I am planning my Camino in late April/May as well. Do I need to start booking my tickets now? It seems like a long time away.
I'm traveling with a group, and we're not all coming from the same city - so for peace of mind, we secured flights early. I'm a planner. I always do tons of research and book my trips 6 months out. I'm a control freak. I accept my flaws - but I have been known to plan INCREDIBLE vacations, so my reputation is on the line. I can be spontaneous though - i swear! :rolleyes:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm traveling with a group, and we're not all coming from the same city - so for peace of mind, we secured flights early. I'm a planner. I always do tons of research and book my trips 6 months out. I'm a control freak. I accept my flaws - but I have been known to plan INCREDIBLE vacations, so my reputation is on the line. I can be spontaneous though - i swear! :rolleyes:
So, on the topic of ‘real” i can recommend a little book with a big message: The Velveteen Rabbit.

look for 5 middle-aged ladies traveling together :)
In about 2
In about 20 months I will be walking with 4 of my friends from college. We have been friends forever and a day. All nine of us. But only 5 will walk. I can’t wait! I have seen groups of friends, your age and mine and they have more love and fun then just about anyone. You will have an experience to remember forever and a day too! Buen Camino!

I would imagine that depends on distance as well as time... maybe! No harm having a look anyway...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I guess that depends on where you are and where you are intending to fly to.

Generally speaking, it is not unusual for tickets to be cheaper when folks book them well in advance.

Doing that, if you can afford it, can often offer the chance of "recovering financially" before starting your Camino.

Buen (ticket-purchasing) Camino

Welcome to the forum Jane.

I set out from St Jean what will be precisely four years ago by the time you start and had the distinct pleasure of meeting one of your fellow Floridians on day one. We and two others walked the entire way together and it was one of the great experiences of my life. I wish you the same good fortune.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

How are you reaching your start point? I made huge savings by booking train tickets in advance. Even though it was only a couple of months in advance I paid less for a first class ticket from Paris than I would have for a regular one if I'd paid on the day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I will be there in June/July - I found a great deal with Delta from DFW-Madrid for $600 - I went ahead and purchased it a few weeks ago. I too was worried since it was so far in advance but everyone told me it was a great price for flying out of DFW.

... and that makes it real. My friends and I are starting our camino next April. So excited to begin our journey. We're starting on April 28 from St. Jean. I saw some other posts of people starting around the same time. This forum looks like a great way to stay in touch - so maybe we'll run into each other.
Buen Camino!

How are you reaching your start point? I made huge savings by booking train tickets in advance. Even though it was only a couple of months in advance I paid less for a first class ticket from Paris than I would have for a regular one if I'd paid on the day.
We're flying into Biarritz, then taking the train from Bayonne. too early to buy the train tix yet but we'll have them in advance. thanks for the tip.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
my daughter and I start April 29 from sjpp.we booked our flights a few weeks ago from tassie to paris then to biarittz - it is very exciting.

Buen Camino Jane!! We did our first, leaving on 26th April 2016 from SJPDP - A beautiful time of the year and beautiful scenery...have a wonderful time

my daughter and I start April 29 from sjpp.we booked our flights a few weeks ago from tassie to paris then to biarittz - it is very exciting.
Maybe you’ll catch up with us and our paths will cross - good luck to you both!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am walking it over 34 days arriving in Santiago de Compostela on 30 May. Setting off walking by myself, but probably not for long having read peoples accounts of the walk. Look out for 6'3" male, somewhat older than yourselves, when hopefully you catch me up - I'll probably hear you all coming!

Hi
I’ve tried the calendar but failed so here goes - I’m planning to start out from St Jean Sunday 28th April aiming for Santiago- it’s my first Camino and I’m on my own - getting kit, training etc together & excited!! Really need this focus 😉

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am on a 35 day schedule leaving SJPdP on 27 April so get moving and catch me up!

Spending a lot of time planning and problem solving - I have downloaded the Frances App but wonder what else I need for maps eg if phone out of juice? I do like maps.....but not weight! 😊

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
😊 Thank you so much ! So useful to know how it was and might be - gives me more confidence but it does raise further questions in my mind - I'm about to pay for a reservation in Orisson and then wondering whether I shall be able to do the Napolean or have to do the Valcaros route? Depending on weather I suppose but how does one make these decisions? Perhaps it is not necessary to book for late April ? I know I don't want to risk my feet and potential blisters right on the first day by pushing to do too many kms straight away.....

😊 Thank you so much ! So useful to know how it was and might be - gives me more confidence but it does raise further questions in my mind - I'm about to pay for a reservation in Orisson and then wondering whether I shall be able to do the Napolean or have to do the Valcaros route? Depending on weather I suppose but how does one make these decisions? Perhaps it is not necessary to book for late April ? I know I don't want to risk my feet and potential blisters right on the first day by pushing to do too many kms straight away.....
My group ended up not being able to secure beds at Orisson. I was strongly advised to walk to Orisson, bus back to SJPdP for the night, then bus back to Orisson to continue. Sounds wonky - but I'm taking the advice. So out of character for me, but I've got my delicate friends to consider :)

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back