• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Well, I'm Back!

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
It was a fine and lovely Camino, in true Scruff style. Started in Bilbao but no, didn't go the Camino del Norte. Went south of Pamplona to Sangüesa (Zangoza in the Basque) but no, didn't follow the Camino Aragonés. Back to Pamplona where yes I did actually begin the Camino Francés – for a while. Walked until Logroño but turned north for Haro t-h-e center for Rioja despite the misleading claims from Logroño. Back to the Camino Francés until Burgos, then south to Santo Domingo de los Silos and the wonderful Gregorian chants-the Romanesque cloister. Burgos to León and the clock is ticking. León to Zamora for the Romanesque which I love but no, I didn't continue on the Via de Plata, the cold I had been nursing turning into bronchitis –"No Camino for You"! Three days flat on my back and the clock is ticking, loudly. On to Astorga – Sarria - Samos but then does one walk as far as possible, then bus it to the airport or spend three days enjoying Santiago? Not visit the cathedral or the amazing and bizarre Church of Santa Maria la Real del Sar or the litle church dedicated to Santiago's mother Santa María Salomé? Bus it is. So it wasn't a real pilgrimage however considering the number of churches I visited and the masses I attended, it wasn't tourigrino either. Let's just call it Camino del le Scruff. Happily home again, the grandbabies came to see me and all is well. PS If you see this Ivar, I so enjoyed our conversation, thank you again!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome back! I think I have to take a leaf out of your play-book, Scruff...It sounds like it was wonderful, except for the illness. It's always some surprise or another, isn't it?....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It was a fine and lovely Camino, in true Scruff style. Started in Bilbao but no, didn't go the Camino del Norte. Went south of Pamplona to Sangüesa (Zangoza in the Basque) but no, didn't follow the Camino Aragonés. Back to Pamplona where yes I did actually begin the Camino Francés – for a while. Walked until Logroño but turned north for Haro t-h-e center for Rioja despite the misleading claims from Logroño. Back to the Camino Francés until Burgos, then south to Santo Domingo de los Silos and the wonderful Gregorian chants-the Romanesque cloister. Burgos to León and the clock is ticking. León to Zamora for the Romanesque which I love but no, I didn't continue on the Via de Plata, the cold I had been nursing turning into bronchitis –"No Camino for You"! Three days flat on my back and the clock is ticking, loudly. On to Astorga – Sarria - Samos but then does one walk as far as possible, then bus it to the airport or spend three days enjoying Santiago? Not visit the cathedral or the amazing and bizarre Church of Santa Maria la Real del Sar or the litle church dedicated to Santiago's mother Santa María Salomé? Bus it is. So it wasn't a real pilgrimage however considering the number of churches I visited and the masses I attended, it wasn't tourigrino either. Let's just call it Camino del le Scruff. Happily home again, the grandbabies came to see me and all is well. PS If you see this Ivar, I so enjoyed our conversation, thank you again!
Hi, Scruffy,
Sounds like you made it to most if not all of the places that were highest on your list. Time to start planning the next camino, perhaps? :)

It was really delightful to meet you, Scruffy! I have several photos of you, and also took several of our mutual friend, delightful Marilyn! I recounted your description of the local market to her, and she and I were smiling about your knowledge of all things related to travel in Spain. Honestly, when first I met you, I was so exhausted, and there you sat in all your coughing scruffiness, rattling off--gently and in your fashion---where you had been, and asking a few questions of me. I was so dumbstruck at your geographical knowledge that I remember just listening and looking for a moment, and when Marilyn offhandedly mentioned that you would be going back to Jerusalem, that is when I recognized your eyes and beard, and wow, THAT HAT.....

Meeting you and several other friends was quite a wonderful bit of serendipity. Honestly, I greeted Marilyn when she first arrived in front of the cathedral, and it was devoid of most people except ourselves, so I struck up some serious fanfare and photographed her. Then, I led her to the credential office, and showed her my hotel, where she ended up staying and relaxing, entirely to my benefit. What a charming woman, and we had a breakfast together before I departed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sounds wonderful Scruffy. I too walked with bronchitis; not an easy thing to shake. Looking back on my stops, I do wish now I had taken the route to Samos to experience the Benedictine Monastery. Next time?? Welcome back.

Sounds wonderful Scruffy. I too walked with bronchitis; not an easy thing to shake. Looking back on my stops, I do wish now I had taken the route to Samos to experience the Benedictine Monastery. Next time?? Welcome back.
Be positive, you will be back.And than you will visit the Monastery, it's a lovely place you can see this on the pictures below.
I wish you well, Peter.

Attachments

• 20150518_123244.jpg
    20150518_123244.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20150518_123951.jpg
    20150518_123951.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20150518_122404.jpg
    20150518_122404.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
Welcome back Scruffy.
I wish you well, and mabe more Camino's to come, Peter.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yay! It was nice to finally meet you!

Scruffy, You got to Silos. Rejoice. One can't have everything.

I am quite overwhelmed by these wonderful responses. Many possibly feel as I do, that so many good friends at home even family have no idea why I walk, the importence and personal meanings of walking, of anything which we all have experienced. All are very happy to see us back but few see the significance of what we have done. Thank you one and all, I am very moved.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Scruffy, how could we not rejoice with you about such an amazing journey!?
So I am in planning mode, and would appreciate your advice. Silos sounds just my 'thing'. If one takes a bus in one direction is there a way to walk back without being next to roads all the time? (looks ~60 km, right?)

Hi, Viranai,
Santo Domingo de Silos is actually on the Ruta de la Lana, which joins up with the Frances in Burgos. Look at mundicamino. http://mundicamino.com/rutas.cfm?id=45 So you will find markings.

Alansykes has walked this recently. From Santo Domingo, he walked on the Lana to Mecerreyes, where there is a very nice albergue, he tells us. On the way you pass through another pretty town, Covarrubias. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/covarrubias.36955/
I'm pretty sure this is all on the side of lightly traveled roads, nothing major, but no mountain paths either.

Then rather than going straight to Burgos from Mecerreyes, he took a detour to a visigothic church, and he describes it here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...thic-jewel-south-of-burgos.36974/#post-352219

If you take the detour to visit the visigothic church, it's three days back to Burgos. Otherwise it's two. Alan has some wikiloc GPS tracks online.

Stages:
Santo Domingo to Mecerreyes
Mecerreyes to Mondubar: http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=11249029
Mondubar to Burgos

Sounds like you're starting to focus in on some possibilities for your two week walk!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Scruffy , peregrina2000 and others,
Thanks very much. This information is really interesting and helpful. I'll be making use of it for sure.

Scrufffy - do you mind sharing roughly how long it took, and how many km. per day you walked? I would use that as a guide for planning planes. Any kind of a reasonable guess is appreciated.

Thank you,
Cecelia

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Scruffy, so good to read this. Enjoy the grandbabies - aren't we lucky?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Scruffy
What a great thread. Thank you to everyone for the interesting route ideas and places to visit.

You sound like a very relaxed walker Scruffy (even with Bronchitis ) and you know how to 'do it your way' - enjoy !

Buen Camino
Annie

http://mundicamino.com/rutas.cfm?id=45 So you will find markings.

Alansykes has walked this recently. From Santo Domingo, he walked on the Lana to Mecerreyes, where there is a very nice albergue, he tells us. On the way you pass through another pretty town, Covarrubias. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/covarrubias.36955/
I'm pretty sure this is all on the side of lightly traveled roads, nothing major, but no mountain paths either.

Then rather than going straight to Burgos from Mecerreyes, he took a detour to a visigothic church, and he describes it here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...thic-jewel-south-of-burgos.36974/#post-352219

If you take the detour to visit the visigothic church, it's three days back to Burgos. Otherwise it's two. Alan has some wikiloc GPS tracks online.

Stages:
Santo Domingo to Mecerreyes
Mecerreyes to Mondubar: http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=11249029
Mondubar to Burgos
Laurie, don't know how I missed this when you posted it. Perfect--thanks! Just what I'm looking for.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back