• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What I Learned from "The Way"

almhath

My husband and I have seen "The Way," by Emilio Estevez, 4 times, and there I've learned a few things about trekking in the fall:

1. The Valcarlos route is 2 hours shorter, but it only matters if you are trying to get to a party.

2. You can meet up and walk with 2 guys and one gal, all of whom will be great.

3. It won't rain on you.

4. No blisters.

5. They sing the U.S. National anthem when you show up at a roadside alburgue.

6. The guys will act like a barrier when you need to pee beside the road.

7. Avoid El Rrrramon's.

8. The Camino won't help me cut down on chocolate. Or pasta. (In the long term.)

9. Stay at a nice hotel sometimes.

10. The popcorn is best at this theatre, for some reason, and

11. Keep your sense of humor about you. :D

I think it's the walk that matters more than the destination. I've done other endurance-related things throughout my life, and, to me, they're like reading a good book: If you're enjoying it, you aren't complaining to yourself, "Oh, goodness! 498 pages to go!" If you're enjoying it, you want to eat Doritos and just enjoy the read. The end will take care of itself. :D Of course, I'm speaking from other experience, as I have not walked the Camino yet. I can't get away, at this time, but some day, I think it would be very lovely.

Ciao

Almha

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
(Of course, I'm being humorous in the above post, as if enjoying and joining in the play the 4 experienced post-Leon.

The film is actually very serious for the most part, and I found Martin Sheen's way of grieving and growing closer to his son on his Camino to be very touching. Though it's my nature to tease, I found the film very beautiful and lovely, and my thanks go out to Emilio for making it as writer, producer, director, and supporting actor.)

Almha

I think it's the walk that matters more than the destination

On the Santiago Archdiocese website, they say, " The most important thing here is the Goal, Not the Way. Jacobean Pilgrims do not go on pilgrimage for the sake of the Way. Through the Way they get to the Tomb of Saint James the Great".

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
By the way their backpacks swung around when they put them on, I learned actors are not required to don the full load. :lol:

1b. The SJPdP till Roncesvalles trip is shuffled. First, you go down in the forrest from Lepoeder till Roncesvalles, then you arrive at the place where the son lost his way, that's where you get the last french stamp from "Jan" => where you leave the concrete road.

Hola,
I have walked 13 days of the camino from St Jean to Burgos, I have seen the 'Way' twice and it has brought me to tears twice. Ok, its pretty flawed in places, but I think the spirit is there, the feeling you get when you have experienced the camino is there, and that transmits to something inside you, and you get emotional. The camino's not a chalenge, its a journey.
Your Sincerly
Big hairy scotsman from Glasgow.
Hasta Luago

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello Big Hairy Scottsman,

"...The camino's not a chalenge, its a journey..."

Yes. To me, I liken these kinds of things to reading a good book: You're not reading along thinking, "OMG, I've got another 358 pages to go!" Instead, you're enjoying the pages, the characters, the story line, the imagery, trying to figure things out. In this way, you're getting a LOT more out of the book than if you were just reading pages to get to the end. The end will take care of itself. And if you enjoyed the book, then you're more likely to later read another one.

:)

Also what I learned from watching "The Way"?

If you're Irish, and if you're a jouralist, you will be able to handle your staff like a seasoned drum major.

Me? I'm probably somewhere between .000001 and .25 Irish, I can write (if not actual journalism), and I'll be carrying two Pacer poles instead of a staff................so I'll probably be able to loft one of my poles up in the air for a nice spin only to watch it clang to the ground four feet off to the side, with me jumping over to try catching it.

Maybe I should practice that. :)

Almha

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back