Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is happening to the Primitivo?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just saw this on facebook from a few people. Can somebody translate what is happening?

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...lar-camino-primitivo/0003_201605L25C12993.htm

Thanks
Davey
Apparently the Xunta is doing some work on the part of the Primitivo that goes up the Acebo (it's a steep part) and some are not liking it. They are saying the Xunta is modifying the route to make it more accessible, taking away from it's authentic value, all to attract more people.

Now, the article also says that since 2016 is the year of the Primitivo numbers have increased drastically, the Xunta's marketing at work. But then they say that simce the start of the year 65 more people have walked than last year...

Also, on the Acebo are windmills and gashes in the forest to give access to them. Those are already changing the Primitivo. So, is this article doing a lot about nothing? Perhaps, but I did see last May bits of "pilgrim purpose" paths being built as one enters Fonsagrada, and what a waste they are.

To summarise, the Xunta wants to attract the masses to the Camino, making changes to make it as accessible as lossible, which is not going over well.

Apparently the Xunta is doing some work on the part of the Primitivo that goes up the Acebo (it's a steep part) and some are not liking it. They are saying the Xunta is modifying the route to make it more accessible, taking away from it's authentic value, all to attract more people.

Now, the article also says that since 2016 is the year of the Primitivo numbers have increased drastically, the Xunta's marketing at work. But then they say that simce the start of the year 65 more people have walked than last year...

Also, on the Acebo are windmills and gashes in the forest to give access to them. Those are already changing the Primitivo. So, is this article doing a lot about nothing? Perhaps, but I did see last May bits of "pilgrim purpose" paths being built as one enters Fonsagrada, and what a waste they are.

To summarise, the Xunta wants to attract the masses to the Camino, making changes to make it as accessible as lossible, which is not going over well.

Thank you. I could see a lot of Spanish people complaining about it and could google translate those but not the articles. I hope they don't over do it! 65 people more in the first six months is not much I think.

Davey

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It sounds like the deciding government official in the junta was a relative of the pinhead in Castilla-Leon who determined that the farm roads between Hospital de Orbigo and Astorga needed "improvement" to accommodate farm machinery. Seriously, the route has worked fine for all parties for hundreds of years. Suzy, at David's Casa de los Diosces filled me in on that fact.

As a result of the "improvements" in mid-April there was a 2 km farm stretch, a village, and a 6 km stretch of 12-meter wide, farm road that were a river of slimy, slippery wet, red clay. Everyone was falling down. My boots became encased with the mud. Even my two spike-tipped hiking poles could not keep me upright. I fell and bruised my elbows, arms, hips and knees.

I needed a new tube of Voltaren after that, when I reached Astorga. I actually bought it on the way in, on my way to my lodgings. I STILL have red mud stains in some of the clothes I used, even after multiple machine washings.

There was no way to walk along the side of the road, or in the adjacent fields for most of the way. It was absolutely treacherous. I suppose the surface was to be further improved by adding stones or cinders, eventually. But, instead of dong this say one kilometer at a go, they stripped, then graded and leveled the entire 8 km route in one move. Not exactly the smart way to do it, especially for pilgrims.

The end result will be a "superhighway" for pilgrims. By this summer's dry season, all will be well, Does anyone know how it is now?

Complaints about authorities :) changing classic pilgrim routes are not limited to the A Fonsagrada area on the Primitivo. These types of "modifications/improvements" have been going on for years along various tracks of other Caminos. To the inconvenience of pilgrims but to the benefit of village shops, roads and highways. Some Amigos del Camino have witnessed ssuch happenings with "mixed feelings".:confused:

All this talk about increasing numbers doesn't make me look forward to me being there in a month or so... I have even started to think of alternative Caminos that spins of the Norte, or the Francés, to go there instead... Oh and I've read this thing about "the year of the Primitivo" quite a few times now: what does that mean...? A special year, according to who? I thought there just were normal years and then those jubilee years every 7 or 5 year (don't know what it's called in English). But now they have introduced another term "the year of...?" Is it all just to attract more pilgrims?

/BP

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Primitivo is crowded. You've probably heard that from many people by now. The new albergue in Gradov is usually full by 2-3 pm. The Hostal bar auto takes the overflow at 15€ for private room with shared bath. But it's still as beautiful as it was when I was almost all alone in San Juan de
Vilapañada.

Crowded means you will see 5-10 others during the day as you walk so it's all relative.

The Year of this or that Camino is different from the Saint or Jubilee year. Thise are when the 25th of July falls on a Sunday. The "year of" is a goverment tourism marketing strategy.

I remember the days, 12 months ago, when I would be the one walking shorter distances (20km vs 30+) arriving at 2-3 pm while the rest would waltz in at 5, 7 or even 9pm and still find a bed, except in Berducedo that is.

Seems to me they are pitting the horse before the cart, advertisong before there is any infrastructure. At least from our perspective. But perhaps they want to increase traffic to then encourage people to cater to it?

I think they need a Camino minister or secretary ;0)!

Is it all just to attract more pilgrims?
Sounds like it BP...and that the cart's before the horse as Anemone said...
Crowded means you will see 5-10 others during the day as you walk so it's all relative.
Fortunately this isn't yet the thundering hoardes. Oh, well...change happens. So let's enjoy it now, everyone, and hopefully also find a way to enjoy it later even if there are more people than in the 'old days':
But it's still as beautiful as it was when I was almost all alone in San Juan de
Vilapañada.
Thanks for setting a calm and balanced example, Laurie!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Having a coffee in la Doriga, where there is an albergue. No one slept here last night. I was talking to someone who had continued up to San Juan yesterday and there were at least 8 empty beds. There's another albergue a km or so after San Juan (Cabruñana??) and my bet is that it was empty or close to it as well. So it's not really a problem of infrastructure it's a problem that we all stay in the same places and they become bottlenecks.

The Primitivo is crowded. Crowded means you will see 5-10 others during the day as you walk so it's all relative.
Hi Laurie!
Just a quickie - my plan is to try to walk the Primitivo next early May.
Do you think it will be crowded then?
I hate crowded caminos - and love quiet ones, as you know with my Ruta del Ebro comments!
I returned a fortnight ago from the Finisterre camino - it was much too crowded for my liking. Santiago was FULL on June 5th and I struggled to find a bed. My previous six caminos have been April-May and very peaceful.
Would appreciate your thoughts ....

Hi Stephen,
I walked the Primitivo this May and it was not crowded at all. The only place that was busy was Berducedo - I did not book ahead but I found a bed in Casa Marques - it may be wise to book ahead for Beducedo to be sure of a bed after a hard day.
Petro

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Almost everyone reports it's crowded... I don't like crowded caminos either. Although NO other pilgrim for 20 days on Camino del Sureste really was a bit lonely...!

Most read last week in this forum

Thanks to those of you who have wished me Buen Camino pm! My plan was Salvador/Prim, but 1) cold feet because of a knee (old injury) and 2) would have to rush with no possibilty of short/rest...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back