• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is realistic?

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
I arrive in Paris CDG airport on Saturday April 19th 2014 at 8:30 in the morning. If possible I would like to get to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port that same day. I have read a number of posts on how to get to SJPP however my question is what is realistic in terms of timing based on your experience.

Option 1

TGV leaving CDG at 10:16 connecting in Bordeaux and arriving at Bayonne at 17:32. Train to SJPP leaves Bayonne at 18:06 arriving in SJPP at 19:31. Do I have enough time in CDG to make the connection?

Option 2

TGV leaving Paris Monparnasse train station at 10:46 connecting in Bordeaux with same last two trains as Option 1. This option is $100 Cdn less cost to get from CDG to Paris Monparnasse. Same question about having enough time.

Option 3 - John Candy's Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

TGV to Paris Orly airport to catch either 11:20 flight to Biarritz (arrive 12:35) or 14:35 flight to Biarritz (arrive 15:30). Taxi to Bayonne and catch either 14:55 train to SJPP (first flight) or 18:06 train as in options 1 and 2. This is the most expensive option...likely $50 to $75 Cdn due to some shared costs.

Your thoughts on timing and whether going by plane or train is best at the start of the Camino. What parts would you book ahead if any? Note my train times are based on April 5th as the SNFC site only allows for 90 days in advance.

Many thanks

Guy

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sorry Guy,can't help with the logistics but for Option#3 please remember, "Those AREN'T pillows!!"

Hello, GuyA!

I have direct experience with your option 1 - there's plenty of time to get from your arrival gate to the CDG station. Arrival at CDG has always seemed to me to be the most painless arrival of any airport in the world.

Find the Trains info for CDG here:http://paris-cdg.worldairportguides.com/shuttles-taxis-trains.php; this will orient you to the location of the TGV station, then go back to get the general plan of the surrounding concourses. Your ticket agent may actually have a pretty good idea of your arrival concourse already.

I do not understand how the cost to taxi to Montparnasse can be less than the direct shot out of CDG; a taxi will be the ONLY form of transport that has a chance of getting you to Montparnasse in time - - and inexpensive they are not. Option 2 will certainly put you under extreme time duress, as well.

Buen Camino,

B

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Guy,
You can get Air France Shuttle Bus from CDG to Orly.
Also, I believe that easy jet fly out of CDG to BIQ.
Buen Camino
Colin

Hi,

Many thanks for the quick and really helpful responses. I have eliminated Option 2 which starts in Paris Montparnasse. Unfortunately the only EasyJet flight from CDG on April 19th leaves at 7:05 according to their website...welcome any other thoughts. I have a slight lean to option 1 at this point...one significant connection point and once made should be ok...will need to think this through.

Guy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Option 4. Spend the day.

You're coming from Winnipeg? So that's a seven hour time difference. A long flight. There are worse things then spending a day adjusting in Paris.

I have not done option 1 but it sounds best to me. Plenty of time from arrival at CDG to departure by TGV. I am puzzled by the mention of a TGV to Orly from CDG and I only know about the shuttle bus run by Air France. CDG is one side of Paris and Orly the other side and the shuttle bus journey can be between 1 and 2 hours depending on traffic - especially bad during morning rush hours. Remember that arrival time quoted by airlines is the time that the wheels touch the tarmac, not arrival at the gate.

GuyA, all sounds good on paper unless there are plane delays. Happened to me. had train booked etc. I had planned out the first 3 days to the minute. Cost me a pretty sum to catch up to my schedule. Next time, I will not prebook anything, other than my overseas flight. btw there is a 1€ busride from Biarritz to Bayonne. Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for the comments...as always something to think about. There was a comment about Easter Sunday which is April 20th. I assume since I will be travelling on April 19th that should not pose any specific travelling problems? My thought was to spend a night or two in Paris after my Camino however if it make more sense to do that upfront I may do that. Any recommendations for reasonably priced hotels in Paris?

Thanks

Guy

19th is Easter Weekend ... Friday ... Saturday ... Sunday ... and holy week follows.

I don't have much experience of travelling in France ... but just the thought of travelling anywhere world wide Easter Weekend gives me the heebie jeebies. I bring the point up because there is potential for crowded everything with ensuing delays ... that should be a factor in your plans. ... though if there is a lull it would be Saturday AM.

Otherwise if it were 'normal' I'd say:
option 1 is tight for time and depends on flight arriving on time ... If I planned on this I would have plan B and plan to buy tickets at the station.
option 2 ... not likely you will get from CDG to Montparnasse by 1046. Find a later train. Montparnasse has many trains to Bordeaux per day. A later train from here would be my Plan B
option 3 ... as pointed out its a shuttle bus to Orly - schedule is every 30 minutes 1:15 duration starting 0555. I would allow at least 4 hours to get from landing at CDG to takeoff at Orly ... deplane, customs, bags, find the shuttle, travel to Orly, check-in, security, and slush for delays.

I agree option 1 and option 3 (1435 departure) are your only options if you must get to SJPdP same day.

Airports in Paris
http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/en-gb/passagers/home/

Paris transit
http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php?lang=uk

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comments...as always something to think about. There was a comment about Easter Sunday which is April 20th. I assume since I will be travelling on April 19th that should not pose any specific travelling problems? My thought was to spend a night or two in Paris after my Camino however if it make more sense to do that upfront I may do that. Any recommendations for reasonably priced hotels in Paris?

Thanks

Guy

Someone else already pointed out that you can take the frequent (every 30 minutes) and cheap, Euro 17 to Gare Montparnasse, or Euro 20 to Orly Airport from Porte (door) 32 from CDG terminal #1. This is directly adjacent to the baggage claim area. There are restrooms BEFORE you go outside. Go here to sort that out:

http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/...97348c-aerolis_deplianttakeoneBD_Mars2013.pdf

It is a direct link to the pdf brochure containing everything you ever wanted to know about this transfer service. Buy your ticket from the driver when you get on.

As a general rule of thumb, if the SNCF /TGV from Paris that is scheduled to arrive about 17:30 is late for any reason, the TER # 62 local train from Bayonne to St. Jean Pied de Port is usually held late. I was on a TGV this past April that was delayed for track maintenance issues and arrived about 30 minutes late. When we arrived, after the scheduled departure time (18:06) of the TER #62 train from Bayonne, it was there waiting for us. The arriving passengers had time to make the transfer with no stress.

I suspect they do this as the 18:06 is usually the last train of the day from Bayonne to St. Jean on most days.

I am returning to do the C/F again in late April and this is how I get to St. Jean Pied de Port.

It's all good. The worst thing that could happen is that you have to overnight at Bayonne. There are several inexpensive hotels across the street from the train station.

I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, GuyA!

Any recommendations for reasonably priced hotels in Paris?

I am pretty experienced in travel to, in and around Paris though I'm sure that others here may be more expert. The answer to your question depends upon upon your answers to to two more:

a) What do you consider reasonable?

b) What do you consider a reasonable level of comfort at that price?

I do not have any favorite places. My strategy has always been to go to TripAdvisor (previously I used Paris Pages which was a bit more cumbersome) and do a sort by price for the dates of interest. I would avoid any address past the arr 16eme. I always favor the 7th myself because I like the "neighborhood feel" of the area.

At this time of the year, late April, you will already be into "peak pricing". Finding a room for less than $150/night, and even that will be in a "sub-optimal" setting, is going to be a chore.

Good luck though!

B

I love the Hotel Diana. It's even on the Rue St. Jacques and you can see the Tour St. Jacques from some of the rooms. But they only book a couple of months ahead and you need to be FAST when they open reservations for a given date--it's very popular. Incidentally, they don't take a credit card for the reservation--just an email confirmation:

http://hoteldiana.free.fr/index.html

Great additional information both on the travel info and Paris hotels...thanks for taking the time to reply. An interesting observation after reading the transfer PDF from CDG to either Orly airport or Gare Montparnasse.

Both take 1:15 and cost in the 20 euro range. It turns out there is a direct train from Paris Montparnasse leaving at 12:28 and arriving in Bayonne at 17:32...cost shown as $82 Canadian. Seems like I should have good time considering an 8:30 arrival and this is the least expensive option I can find. Will wait to purchase tickets however have a few decent possibilities.

I will definitely stay in Paris for a night or two at the end of my Camino (fly out May 25) therefore appreciate the recommendations.

Thanks

Guy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The problem with travel over Easter is everybody will be travelling. Think a Canadian long weekend.

Some people will be going home to be with family. Others will be getting out of town. Some will be going to Paris for a short vacation.

Paris Metro:
Line B3 from CDG airport to Gare Nord. Line 4 from Gare Nord to Gare Montparnasse.
http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php?lang=uk

RER train B3 leaves every 6 minutes. It takes about an hour to get to Montparnasse including the transfer to the Metro at Gare Nord.

No idea the cost but this is faster (and that might be critical), particularly as you have to allow a half hour plus the route in the event that you just missed the bus and have to wait for the next.

Its quite the interactive site. With some patience it will render all sorts of information.

Last edited by a moderator:
imho you are taking a big risk in travelling the easter weekend where every tom, dick and harry and their families are all travelling. easter weekend in france and especially in spain as it is one of the major holiday weeks in both countries. also i believe you will have trouble obtaining train tickets unless you have already bought them.

good luck on your planning. buen camino.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Whariwharangi...agreed that taking the Paris Metro as you outline is my best option...appreciate your helping me out again...quite the Website! Great info from everyone. In the end my plan will be to take the 12:28 train from Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne and hopefully the 18:06 connection to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Seems like the best chance of success at lowest cost...Plan B will be to try to make it to Bayonne the same day.

Also agreed that travelling on Easter weekend was likely not the best decision...will purchase the 12:28 train tickets in advance in consideration of the expected heavy traveling. If my flight is delayed will hopefully have enough time to change the tickets upon arrival in Paris without additional cost...if I don't have time then that's a risk I'm willing to take.

Given the very very long day will try to book the Erracaldia B&B in SJPP where I stayed upon completion of the Le Puy route...from there Albergues all the way to Finisterre.

After walking 6 weeks in France last Fall I have come to expect the unexpected...:)

Guy

The unexpected is usually the problem. We flew into CDG and had a 3 hour window to get the train to Bayonne. We were delayed leaving the USA because of having to wait for passengers coming up from Florida and connecting to our flight. The pilot did his best to make up some time, which he did, but then there was a problem with the luggage unloading at CDG. By the time we got our luggage and made our way to the train station, we had 5 minutes until our train was leaving. So much for a 3 hour window :) Hopefully you will not have any problems, and ours did not affect the absolutely GREAT time we had walking the Camino :)

Jim

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm about to start the Camino Portuguese, and was wondering what rideshare options are available in Europe?
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
Hi all! I am trying to finish up the last bit of planning for our upcoming Camino, in two and a half weeks, from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. We are kinda doing things a little backwards, as...
Where in Santiago can I catch the bus to the airport?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back