Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the temp. range in May? What is "cold" to you

alaskadiver

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017-Camino Primitivo
April 2019-Camino de Invierno
I live in Alaska. My idea of cold and hot is very different from most of the people on this forum :) My husband and I are experienced back country backpackers, again, unlike most of the Camino walkers (it seems to me based on the type of questions and answers being given on the forum). So we are looking forward to a 2-3 week hike with a light 14 or 15 pound pack :)

We plan to hike the Primitivo next May and then go on to Fisterre and Muxia (or not, haven't decided on that part). So I'm looking at about 3 weeks on the Camino, total. The only real question I have about gear is related to the overnight temperatures during the month of May. I've read a lot of posts where people make reference to it being "cold" at night. I realize that people's idea of what is cold is different. So my question is, what has been the temperature range that most pilgrims have encountered at night? To me, temps in the 50s is shorts and t-shirt weather. In the winter I hike with midweight polypro bottoms and one layer of lightweight poly top and a light fleece. That's for temps down to 0 degrees F. To us, hiking in temps about 60 means shorts and short sleeve shirts. Otherwise we both get just too overheated.

I'm asking for the purpose of deciding on weather to take a lightweight 40 F degree rated sleeping bag. But I'm not sure since I can't find any really good averages for the higher elevations. Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Welcome Alaskadiver!

I don't know if this is much help but one thing that was very different for me was the humidity especially near the coast. I live in a very dry area so cool temperatures that would not normally bother me felt colder with the humidity near the coast.

Hi - I live one province below (BC) so think we agree on 'cold'. We walked in Apr/May this year and I wore shorts pretty much everyday that it wasn't raining and would have on those days if I brought a poncho. I prefer to sleep with a sleeping bag left unzipped so I can regulate as necessary. By your description I would think a 40F bag would be very fine used that way but you probably would be good with just a warm liner (something like this Sea-to-Summit) and save a bunch of weight. Good luck and Buen Camino. Jordon.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome Alaskadiver!

I don't know if this is much help but one thing that was very different for me was the humidity especially near the coast. I live in a very dry area so cool temperatures that would not normally bother me felt colder with the humidity near the coast.

Oh yes, there is that. :)

Depends on what type of accommodation sleeping at ($) and or decision of how personal backpack is moved forward. 36 out of 40 albergues had wool blankets during my walk from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago ... late March to early May. If carrying your backpack, a liner is my recommendation. Depending on the number of bodies are in the room. I preferred sleeping in my second set of clean, dry clothes. Some nights, my cold tolerance had me wearing my fleece jacket and my water/wind proof gloves.

I would go for the light weight sleeping bag. The temperature can vary so much from one year to another so better to be prepared. If it is really warm and settled you can always send the bags on to Ivar in Santiago to await your arrival. It has been known to have roads blocked by snow in May over the Primitivo route and not all albergues have blankets.
Be prepared like the - Fonsagrada road men!
4th May.JPG
This was taken on the 4th May 2012. Remember Fonsagrada is 900 meters above sea level ;)
Blessings on your planning
Tio Tel

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Minimum temperatures in the 40's ºF are likely. You may find minimum temperatures in the 30's ºF on some dates/places. OTOH, minimum temperatures in the 50's ºF may happen too on some dates.

I live in Alaska. My idea of cold and hot is very different from most of the people on this forum :)

I come from the closest England has to Alaska - not very close - so have a much higher tolerance of cold than most Europeans, and I only ever walk my caminos in autumn and winter, and have never carried a sleeping bag. I do carry a lot of merino wool (five tops and some long johns) which has meant that I've been fine.

Depends on what type of accommodation sleeping at ($) and or decision of how personal backpack is moved forward. 36 out of 40 albergues had wool blankets during my walk from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago ... late March to early May. If carrying your backpack, a liner is my recommendation. Depending on the number of bodies are in the room. I preferred sleeping in my second set of clean, dry clothes. Some nights, my cold tolerance had me wearing my fleece jacket and my water/wind proof gloves.

I wouldn't separate myself from my gear. There's no need for that since carrying 15 or so pounds is nothing on the well made trails of the Camino. Light weight sleeping is the way to go it seems. I don't want to rely on albergues to meet my needs :) Thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Minimum temperatures in the 40's ºF are likely. You may find minimum temperatures in the 30's ºF on some dates/places. OTOH, minimum temperatures in the 50's ºF may happen too on some dates.

Thank you for the info. I was looking for that temperature range :)

I live in Alaska. My idea of cold and hot is very different from most of the people on this forum :) My husband and I are experienced back country backpackers, again, unlike most of the Camino walkers (it seems to me based on the type of questions and answers being given on the forum). So we are looking forward to a 2-3 week hike with a light 14 or 15 pound pack :)

We plan to hike the Primitivo next May and then go on to Fisterre and Muxia (or not, haven't decided on that part). So I'm looking at about 3 weeks on the Camino, total. The only real question I have about gear is related to the overnight temperatures during the month of May. I've read a lot of posts where people make reference to it being "cold" at night. I realize that people's idea of what is cold is different. So my question is, what has been the temperature range that most pilgrims have encountered at night? To me, temps in the 50s is shorts and t-shirt weather. In the winter I hike with midweight polypro bottoms and one layer of lightweight poly top and a light fleece. That's for temps down to 0 degrees F. To us, hiking in temps about 60 means shorts and short sleeve shirts. Otherwise we both get just to overheated.

I'm asking for the purpose of deciding on weather to take a light weight 40 degree rated sleeping bag. But I'm not sure since I get find any really good averages for the higher elevations. Can anyone help?
Alaskadiver ... what a surprise. The first person from Alaska outside Alaska that I'm writing to. I have been there twice, to Fairbanks. My sister used to live there. You will be fine. Albergues have blankets. And heating when required. A light weight, good quality sleeping bag would do. Am not familiar with farenheit temperatures, but lets say a sleeping bag for 5 C will do good... unless u are wanting to sleep outside. Thank God for google... you can find out anything u want to... like forecasts and so on. Have fun and Buen Camino :) Caesar

[QUOTE="alaskadiver -So we are looking forward to a 2-3 week hike with a light 14 or 15 pound pack :)[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you have the answers you need for dealing with the "cold." This year, there were a couple of cold mornings but the heavy rains in April/May were more of an issue for me. It didn't rain as much in April/May 2014 and 2015.

Hopefully part of the 15 pounds in your pack includes rain gear. I don't know if this was a normal year and the previous years were not? I used a Packa to kept me dry. I didn't bring rain pants. You will find a lot of opinions of what rain gear to bring or not bring on the Forum.

The bottom line is to have fun and that will help to make it a Buen Camino for you and your husband..

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You cannot start too early because of fog and mist and this allowed us this June to walk with only merino and fleece,
We never did alberques and think we made the right decision as our pack was also only 8kgs after water added.
It is a very different path than Camino Frances especially the first week.
Some 20k days feel a lot longer , and the hospitals route would not be expected , which leaves wet , rocky valley paths

You cannot start too early because of fog and mist and this allowed us this June to walk with only merino and fleece,
We never did alberques and think we made the right decision as our pack was also only 8kgs after water added.
It is a very different path than Camino Frances especially the first week.
Some 20k days feel a lot longer , and the hospitals route would not be expected , which leaves wet , rocky valley paths

I'm looking forward to the Hospitales Route. A way-marked path sounds nice since I only ever backpack in wilderness areas with no markings or paths :)

Why did you not do any albergues? I don't see the connection with the size of the pack. Seems like they'd be a neat place to meet other pilgrims.

I'm looking forward to the Hospitales Route. A way-marked path sounds nice since I only ever backpack in wilderness areas with no markings or paths :)

Why did you not do any albergues? I don't see the connection with the size of the pack. Seems like they'd be a neat place to meet other pilgrims.

Started using alberques 80 percent of times
Gradually as the bones got older and we repeated different Caminos we choose better??? sleeping arrangements.

The accommodation one uses has no bearings on friendships formed and who one meets. Some how it all centres on talking on the path , sharing a coffee in the next village and a meal at night.

We were impressed with a few alberques on the Primitivo this year.

In relation to Hospitales , the decision really can't be made until a day or two before.
It's just a simple weather report.
This month people 3 days ahead saw nothing , yet we got sunburnt and it forced many to have a short day following.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.