What 'qualifies' as a pilgrimage in terms of breaking up the

Linda Harms Smith

Jan 20, 2013
Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago (2012)
Greetings pilgrim comrades! Please could someone let me know... if I leave from St JPDP and walk about 150kms, can I then skip and rejoin beyond Sarria for example from Portomarin, and continue on until Santiago de Compostela as an 'offical' pilgimage? (so all in all walking about 250kms but in sections) - I did the short Sarria onwards in 2012 and now have about two weeks and would love to cross the Pyrenees... :?:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Oct 10, 2010
Jerusalem
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Dear Linda
Pilgrim qualifications: an introspective viewpoint possessing little relevance for geography or final documentation
1) The willingness to confront your own self or your soul as to why you are even in Spain, why Santiago and why Saint James, which of several realities you wish to accept or discard during which time periods and on which continent - answers for which will change often alarmingly as you progress
2) Camaraderie and shared goals that often necessitate cooperative effort with other pilgrims and like souls - not all who walk the Camino are "qualified" pilgrims not all who reach Santiago are happy to have completed the Camino
3) Love of freedom and the inherent lack of responsibility and obligation as one has come to perceive them over the years – this also generates a curious time warp in which time truly slows until losing all importance well, until late afternoon
4) Some self-abnegation, walking for hours, arriving at a crowded noisy hot/frozen albergue with lukewarm showers, and 14 people snoring like a sawmill on fire are not for everyone
5) Santiago and the Compostelo are only the excuse that you are there, they mark the end of a personal experience not a geographical position on the map while the document has meaning but no inner significance of what you have passed and both often generate an askance-and what now?
6) Should you find yourself in wonderful company, walking through beautiful landscape with the prospect of overwhelming medieval art and architecture waiting for your admiration in say Burgos, Leon, even Astorga, why scrap it all for Portomarin? Elide?? Arzua???
My recommendation? The Camino, Santiago and the desired Compostelo document have been here for a thousand years and baring major divine intervention will still be here a thousand years hence-do what you can gloriously and come back to triumphantly enter Santiago de Compostela at some future date.
I can only warmly wish you a fantastic experience and Buen Camino-personally I would not concede a single meter along the way even if such a dedication would demand a return Camino in which to finish.
S

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

annakappa

RIP 2024
Jan 6, 2009
Costa Rica
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
Great reply, Scruffy!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...
Walking the Camino Frances, since the 16th there has been a lot of mud on the trail but doable until today on the way to Pamplona! It got very difficult with the mud on the pass high up beside...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
I'm flying from the USA to start my Camino this week. I will check my backpack, and to protect it, I will ship it in a plastic storage bin like this one: Rather than shipping the storage bin to...
Hi everyone -- After walking the Frances from SJpdP last October, I'm planning to revisit the bit between Logrono and Burgos this July, following different stages. It's the section where I had...
Just after 9am this morning I turned the last corner of the Camino Frances and stood in front of the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela!! It's been 33 days since I left Saint Jean Pied de Port...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides