• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What’s better than walking a Camino ?

C.C.

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Ingles. Portuguese central & coastal.
I have walked the Camino France, Portuguese central and coastal, Variant Espiritual and Ingles and will continue to walk while I can. But, I have found my true passion in serving as a hospitaler. 2024 will make it 8 sessions of serving and I have loved every one. Cooking, cleaning, laundry and … the best part, meeting pilgrims from all over. I’ve worked harder at some albergues than I’ve ever done and yet still want to go back again. So if you’re ever thinking about serving, know it will be hard work, but if you’re like me (a 72 year old Canadian) you might get hooked. See some of you in Villadangoes, Salamanca or Grado this spring 2024.
P.S. anyone else hooked on serving ?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have walked the Camino France, Portuguese central and coastal, Variant Espiritual and Ingles and will continue to walk while I can. But, I have found my true passion in serving as a hospitaler. 2024 will make it 8 sessions of serving and I have loved every one. Cooking, cleaning, laundry and … the best part, meeting pilgrims from all over. I’ve worked harder at some albergues than I’ve ever done and yet still want to go back again. So if you’re ever thinking about serving, know it will be hard work, but if you’re like me (a 72 year old Canadian) you might get hooked. See some of you in Villadangoes, Salamanca or Grado this spring 2024.
P.S. anyone else hooked on serving ?

In 2002, after first camino in 2001, I was a hospie at Nicolas Del Flüe in Ponferrada. Padre Jose Ignacio, who recently passed, posted me there.

In 2004, I was a hospitalera at Guacelmo run by Confraternity of Saint James in UK.

Fun times.

You’re right it is hard work.

Maybe one day I will volunteer on camino again.

Bless you for continuing to give back to the way.

Buen camino.

In 2002, after first camino in 2001, I was a hospie at Nicolas Del Flüe in Ponferrada. Padre Jose Ignacio, who recently passed, posted me there.

In 2004, I was a hospitalera at Guacelmo run by Confraternity of Saint James in UK.

Fun times.

You’re right it is hard work.

Maybe one day I will volunteer on camino again.

Bless you for continuing to give back to the way.

Buen camino.
I was in Ponferrada in March of this year … very nice albergue. Has the privilege of serving in Logrono in 2019 … another special place

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
C.C. - good for you, giving back, as it were. Being a hospitelaro is satisfying but! it is such hard work ... being up before the pilgrims get up, not going to bed until after the pilgrims go to bed ... all that background work that no one ever sees ... mostly good, great, pilgrims arriving each day but having to deal with the opposite ... and so many pilgrims arrive with low blood sugar levels, so irritable, fractious .. like children coming home from school (the answer is a piece of cake and a soft drink! ;)) .. and then you have only a short break after getting everything ready and before you open .. so hard.

Why do people volunteer for this? It is the flip of that psychological coin I think. Moving from receiving to giving, from I to they, with love of the Camino experience being at the heart of it? Just guessing here. Once one realises that the destination is not as important as the experience of Camino?

For me, well, I have never done a complete Camino since I returned to offer first aid and pastoral care, I just walk in areas where I think there will be the most need, such as the first six days from any major Camino joining point .. for me it is being there and helping that replaced getting there, to Santiago, and I think that those who volunteer at refugios, at the pilgrim office, and in other ways must feel like this too.

Gold stars to you C.C. - and to all those who return to give ❤️

Last edited:
C.C. - good for you, giving back, as it were. Being a hospitelaro is satisfying but! it is such hard work ... being up before the pilgrims get up, not going to bed until after the pilgrims go to bed ... all that background work that no one ever sees ... mostly good, great, pilgrims arriving each day but having to deal with the opposite ... and so many pilgrims arrive with low blood sugar levels, so irritable, fractious .. like children coming home from school (the answer is a piece of cake and a soft drink! ;)) .. and then you have only a short break after getting everything ready and before you open .. so hard.

Why do people volunteer for this? It is the flip of that psychological coin I think. Moving from receiving to giving, from I to they, with love of the Camino experience being at the heart of it? Just guessing here. Once one realises that the destination is not as important as the experience of Camino?

For me, well, I have never done a complete Camino since I returned to offer first aid and pastoral care, I just walk in areas where I think there will be the most need, such as the first six days from any major Camino joining point .. for me it is being there and helping that replaced getting there, to Santiago, and I think that those who volunteer at refugios, at the pilgrim office, and in other ways must feel like this too.

Gold stars to you C.C. - and to all those who return to give ❤️
Yes, it is addictive. I love greeting pilgrims and caring for them and hearing their stories. Enjoy cooking for and with them. I love the smell of a clean bathroom and fresh laundered sheets straight from the clothesline. Yes, my back hurts after cleaning and cooking. Have volunteered at Christmas as well as summer and spring. It is a different kind of pilgrimage in place.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.