• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

where is the best place in Pamplona to....

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
buy a small sharp knife suitable for cutting bread and salami?
Preferably somewhere en route from bus station to the road towards the Baztan valley (if that's not asking too much!)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello kiwi-family,

You will see them in any tourist or sports shop. Just look at the shop windows and you will see them on display. Don't buy the ones costing less than €8 euros, they are no good. Be prepare to pay from €10 euros for a decent one.

Buen camino.

The knife I now use is an Opinel No 8, they are a French Knife, nice and light. They have a lovely simple design and cost mabey around 12 euros. It is the knife I use for exactly the purpose you mentioned. Wooden handle, sharp blade and simple locking system, it does not try to be anything else other than a knife.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Re: Re: where is the best place in Pamplona to....

nalod said:
The knife I now use is an Opinel No 8, they are a French Knife, nice and light. They have a lovely simple design and cost mabey around 12 euros. It is the knife I use for exactly the purpose you mentioned. Wooden handle, sharp blade and simple locking system, it does not try to be anything else other than a knife.

Opinel knives are fantastic. Razor sharp blades, I've had mine for years and it only needs occasional sharpening. Clean and dry after use though as they are prone to corrosion. Beautiful olive wood handles too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Kiwi-peeps, why don't you bring a familiar blade from home? I'm guessing that you will be checking your packs on such a long flight so putting a blade in your luggage isn't a problem.

If that really isn't feasible then the readily available Opinel is the optimum choice - and worth checking one bag just to get it home again. I've had my "petite" 3 inch (7.5 cm) Opinel for many years now and it is a favourite for its practical compact shape and it's fine steel - its edge is easily replenished by a few wipes across the un- glazed base of a French flowerpot.

Tincatinker said:
Kiwi-peeps, why don't you bring a familiar blade from home? I'm guessing that you will be checking your packs on such a long flight so putting a blade in your luggage isn't a problem.

If that really isn't feasible then the readily available Opinel is the optimum choice - and worth checking one bag just to get it home again.

We don't want to check bags in on the way up - happy to do it coming back in order to get a good knife home (although I was planning on just giving it away at the end)

Thanks for the suggestions one and all.

We never check in our packs, so we obviously need a knife for the Camino. We always buy a knife in a rather old fashioned hardware store in the centre of Pamplona. At the end of our Camino, we give it away. Anne

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I've just checked the location on the satellite view. It's on C. San Nicolas (parallel to Paseo Sarasate). Just behind the s. Nicolas church. I think it's called Ferreteria Irigary. A really central location and only minutes from the bus station. Anne

Thanks for that. I can try the little old-fashioned store first, and then if they have nothing I'll keep going over to Caminoteca. Would love to find an Opinel - they look really nice.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
annakappa said:
I've just checked the location on the satellite view. It's on C. San Nicolas (parallel to Paseo Sarasate). Just behind the s. Nicolas church. I think it's called Ferreteria Irigary. A really central location and only minutes from the bus station. Anne
And here is the home page of the Ferreteria Irigaray
Buen Camino
Jochen

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back