• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to leave my stone when starting in Sarria?

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2015
I will be starting my pilgrimage in Sarria. I know that this beyond the place pilgrims traditionally leave their stones but was wondering if there is another place I could leave my stone behind?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm sure you will find an appropriate spot between Sarria and Santiago. You will know it when you see it.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You can leave it anywhere. It's your stone and your Camino.

As others have said, you'll know where to leave it. But just in case you need some ideas...

On the 100 km marker
Chuck it from the bridge at Portomarin
On one of the many pilgrim statues
On the monument on Monte do Gozo
In front of the Cathedral in Santiago (or your favorite place in the city.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I like to leave mine on a milestone that has a significant number for me, and the milestones count down all the way to Lavacolla before Santiago.

On my first Camino and I couldnt exactly explain why, but there is a stone cross in Palas de Rei, I remember just feeling like I had to stop and give thanks to God for getting me that far and to be so fortunate in life. As I near it each time I walk to Santiago I look forward to that spot. I guess what I am saying 2sassytravelers is you will find your place to leave your stone and remember its symbolism

Leaving your stone? I hadn't heard of this?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On my first Camino and I couldnt exactly explain why, but there is a stone cross in Palas de Rei, I remember just feeling like I had to stop and give thanks to God for getting me that far and to be so fortunate in life. As I near it each time I walk to Santiago I look forward to that spot. I guess what I am saying 2sassytravelers is you will find your place to leave your stone and remember its symbolism
Thank you Scott. This helps me keep a light on why we are walking this pilgrimage.

As others have said, you'll know where to leave it. But just in case you need some ideas...

On the 100 km marker
Chuck it from the bridge at Portomarin
On one of the many pilgrim statues
On the monument on Monte do Gozo
In front of the Cathedral in Santiago (or your favorite place in the city.)

Thanks Jeffnd for these suggestions.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Leaving your stone? I hadn't heard of this?

You'll hear many views about this. I have left a stone when I walked past the Cruz de Ferro in Foncebadon in 2013. Last September, I walked from St Jean to Belorado and I didn't bring a stone. This year I will pass the Cruz again but I won't bring a stone.

I gotta admit, I was a bit disappointed when I reached the Cruz de Ferro and saw a blacktop road running very close to it and cars parked there and throngs of people crowded around it. I didn't have a stone to leave behind anyway, but I expected it to be a bit more isolated. On my second Camino I walked past it without even stopping.
I guess what I am trying to say is you can always find your own "Cruz de Ferro", be it man-made or otherwise.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Let us start a rumour: Due to the excess of gravel in Galicia ...due to years of pebble bearing pilgrims ... pilgrims are requested to bring only stones suitably large enough to be cut into blocks for restoring the castle walls. Thanks much.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back