• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to next?

Kolleykibber

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2010, Frances 2011, Del Norte / Primitivo 2013
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for trips after the Camino. I've done the camino three times (2 frances, 1 norte) now and nothing comes close for the camaraderie and experience.

But I'm thinking I'd like to do something else next. Something like Machu Picchu preferably closer to home.

Many Thanks,

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
After the Camino? What about volunteering on the Camino (hospitaler@/pilgrims office) or at your preferred local charity to pay it forward? Just a thought and Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I need ideas, too. I'm looking at Vezelay (Mary Magdaline history in Vezelay), Le Puy (supposed to be pretty), Piemont (Carcassone and Lourdes are appealing)...and the Highland Way in Scotland, just to mix it up a bit. Any one have experience/opinions? Time is likely Fall 2017. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

I have walked the Le Puy pilgrimage path (lots of history and good pilgrim infrastructure), part of the Piemont way (just following the Canal du Midi) easy to follow and flat, I liked both, it really depends what you are looking for ... Buen Camino, SY

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
The marked routes start as far east as Warsaw and Bratislava, and run across Europe in a giant spiderweb. I've walked the Way of St James/Jakobsweg/Via Jacobi/Chemin St Jacques from Prague through to Geneva, and from Le Puy to SJP (details in the blog, see link in signature block). The section from Le Puy to Conques is matchless. Eastern Switzerland has the best scenery. Bavaria might be the most accessible.

The route through every country is a different experience, just as the geography and history is different in every place. But no other walking route has the large numbers found on the Camino Frances, the main route in northern Spain. The Le Puy route has about 0ne-tenth the numbers on the Camino Frances, with correspondingly less infrastructure.

What do you seek in your next journey? Scenery? History? Contemplation? Solitude? Companionship? Retreat opportunity at monastic houses? Daily prayer in open churches? Well-organized rail/bus transport systems between towns? Well-organized luggage haulers along your walking route? There are sections of the pilgrim road that can meet almost any particular personal style.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Try the Pennine Way. It ain't no camino but those who have done it will know that the camaraderie is amazing and it is most definitely an 'experience'. ;)
My husband started his long distance walking with the Pennine Way, skipped over to the CF to Burgos the next year and since has skipped back to walks in the UK. He enjoys the cooler weather and staying at pubs and B&Bs. I'd join him but I am a bit (OK a lot) slow on the hills.

Thanks, everyone! Please keep the ideas coming!

Kitsambler, I'll check out the blog but thanks for all the thoughts. I love art, history, scenery and browsing around ancient buildings. Give me a quaint, cobblestoned town with an old church and I'm in heaven. That covers about all of the UK and Europe so I'm back at square 1!

Pennine looks great but I'd want a friend to go along. And I've looked at Japan, too. That's on the list.

I don't mind distance and hills and, embarrassingly, feel like I'm cheating if I take public transportation between places. That said, it's nice to know it's there if needed. And I get a little edgy with complete solitude. It's nice to interact with people, at least at night. Has anyone done Vezelay? It may be too rural and deserted for me.

So what is it about getting back from a trip and almost immediately getting back on the Forum and planning the next one?!

The marked routes start as far east as Warsaw and Bratislava, and run across Europe in a giant spiderweb. I've walked the Way of St James/Jakobsweg/Via Jacobi/Chemin St Jacques from Prague through to Geneva, and from Le Puy to SJP (details in the blog, see link in signature block). The section from Le Puy to Conques is matchless. Eastern Switzerland has the best scenery. Bavaria might be the most accessible.

The route through every country is a different experience, just as the geography and history is different in every place. But no other walking route has the large numbers found on the Camino Frances, the main route in northern Spain. The Le Puy route has about 0ne-tenth the numbers on the Camino Frances, with correspondingly less infrastructure.

What do you seek in your next journey? Scenery? History? Contemplation? Solitude? Companionship? Retreat opportunity at monastic houses? Daily prayer in open churches? Well-organized rail/bus transport systems between towns? Well-organized luggage haulers along your walking route? There are sections of the pilgrim road that can meet almost any particular personal style.

Got lost in your blog tonight. Beautiful writing. Thanks so much for sharing!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
[QUOTE="Purple Backpack, post: 443717, member

So what is it about getting back from a trip and almost immediately getting back on the Forum and planning the next one?![/QUOTE]

I wish I knew the answer to that! :D:rolleyes:

Have you heard of this one btw:
http://www.peacewalk.eu

Buen camino planning! :)

[QUOTE="Purple Backpack, post: 443717, member

So what is it about getting back from a trip and almost immediately getting back on the Forum and planning the next one?!

I wish I knew the answer to that! :D:rolleyes:

Have you heard of this one btw:
http://www.peacewalk.eu

Buen camino planning! :)[/QUOTE]

Now that one looks intriguing and in a part of Europe I have never explored. Have you done it? What's it like?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for trips after the Camino. I've done the camino three times (2 frances, 1 norte) now and nothing comes close for the camaraderie and experience.

But I'm thinking I'd like to do something else next. Something like Machu Picchu preferably closer to home.

Many Thanks,

How about Ireland – lots of developed walk ways - see the Irish Tourist web site – the climate is also temperate – good for walking

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No I haven't done it because I already walked through some of those countries (whilst on my big trek ) but I have found it tempting ever since I heard of it :cool:
I absolutely loved Hungary for instance, Bratislava was great too etc etc

Food for thought ;):D

Hi,

Many Thanks,
Le Puy to St. Jean PdP is fantastic and it is cool to look at your combined Le Puy to Santiago track of 1000 miles on a map afterwards. I found it to have a good amount of other pilgrims for company.

How about Ireland – lots of developed walk ways - see the Irish Tourist web site – the climate is also temperate – good for walking

Love the idea of Ireland...is there a Coast to Coast walk? I love walking across things...bridges, parks, countries...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Le Puy to St. Jean PdP is fantastic and it is cool to look at your combined Le Puy to Santiago track of 1000 miles on a map afterwards. I found it to have a good amount of other pilgrims for company.

Thanks! That was the one I started looking at. Then I got distracted with so many others. :rolleyes:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back