• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

where to start a 21 day camino

smurr

Time of past OR future Camino
planning a june 2019 france to santiago trip
I have three weeks to walk Camino Santiago in june/july. Any suggestions of where to start? I’m wanting to meet people, enjoy great scenery, but would prefer to skip challenging downhill because of knee issues.

Also would love to see some great art any towns with art walks?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
From what I gather, Camino Portuguese (starting from Porto) [~248km] is a wonderful route. This allows you to walk comfortably without stressing about losing days to travel/flights, and accommodates for a few rest days if your knees flare up.

It is more of a rural setting but you are walking along the coast then through dense forests as you near SdC.

If you are committed to doing Camino Frances route, skip Villafranca to O'Cebreiro (killer up hill) and from O'Cebreiro to Triacastela (rough down hill).

That being said, I'm not sure how many people walk Camino Portuguese in June/July. Friends who walked during August/September found the route to be quite empty, which they enjoyed. Camino Frances, on the other hand, the last 100km is going to be quite interesting. :D

You can always mix it up a bit and do a bit of the Camino Portuguese and switch to Camino Frances (Starting at Sarria) for the last 100km to be eligible for the compostela at SdC.

Buen Camino, Peregrino!

P.S. The pharmacies should sell Ibuprofen and Diclofenac for your knee, provided it is inflammation related and not a severe injury or mechanical issue.

From what I gather, Camino Portuguese (starting from Porto) [~248km] is a wonderful route. This allows you to walk comfortably without stressing about losing days to travel/flights, and accommodates for a few rest days if your knees flare up.

It is more of a rural setting but you are walking along the coast then through dense forests as you near SdC.

If you are committed to doing Camino Frances route, skip Villafranca to O'Cebreiro (killer up hill) and from O'Cebreiro to Triacastela (rough down hill).

That being said, I'm not sure how many people walk Camino Portuguese in June/July. Friends who walked during August/September found the route to be quite empty, which they enjoyed. Camino Frances, on the other hand, the last 100km is going to be quite interesting. :D

You can always mix it up a bit and do a bit of the Camino Portuguese and switch to Camino Frances (Starting at Sarria) for the last 100km to be eligible for the compostela at SdC.

Buen Camino, Peregrino!

P.S. The pharmacies should sell Ibuprofen and Diclofenac for your knee, provided it is inflammation related and not a severe injury or mechanical issue.
Thank you this is so helpful!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I found the Camino Portugues much easier on the knees than the Camino Frances. If you start from Porto, it should take you 10-13 days, so you could also walk on to Finisterre for 3-4 days (although there is a but of a downhill walk to the ocean towards the end). That would give you some time to enjoy Santiago, as well, and a bit of a cushion if anything goes wrong.

Walking in October, I didn't notice a lack of pilgrim community on the central route. The coastal route is a bit flatter than the central route (not that the central route has mountains). The coastal route also has less pilgrims, I am told.

If you are having knee problems, I highly recommend using hiking poles, whichever route you take.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Remember to take poles and learn how to use them on downhills if you don't already know how too. Zig Zag down the hill. The steeper and longer the hill the wider your zigs and zags. I would think the coastal Portuguese camino is your ticket out of Porto but that will not take 3 weeks. It is only about 260 kilometers. Even at 20K a day that is only 13 days. So if you want to do that and really take your time it would be perfect. If you wanted to start in Coimbra, which is the home of (I think) either the oldest university in Spain or even all of Europe you would add another 130 kilometers or so. It is a nice walk from there. Check Gronze.com for distances.

I found the Camino Portugues much easier on the knees than the Camino Frances. If you start from Porto, it should take you 10-13 days, so you could also walk on to Finisterre for 3-4 days (although there is a but of a downhill walk to the ocean towards the end). That would give you some time to enjoy Santiago, as well, and a bit of a cushion if anything goes wrong.

Walking in October, I didn't notice a lack of pilgrim community on the central route. The coastal route is a bit flatter than the central route (not that the central route has mountains). The coastal route also has less pilgrims, I am told.

If you are having knee problems, I highly recommend using hiking poles, whichever route you take.

So what about flights in to Portugal or would it be best to fly into Spain and take the bus?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Depends on where you fly from and which route you decide on going, as well as how much it will cost, especially during June/July (peak seasons) for vacation goers.

That being said, the bigger the hub, cheaper the cost, usually.
If you want to land in Spain, Madrid is probably cheap compared to Portugal (Google Flights search/forecast shows that landing in Lisbon, Portual is much more expensive than Madrid, Spain).
You can choose to take the bus, or if your pack is a carry-on size, check out Ryan Air for cheap flights into your starting city/hub.
-Sometimes it is cheaper than taking the train and for a few extra euros, it saves you a lot of time compared to a bus.

I'm sure there are others who can provide you with more detail?

Make sure you bring a hat and be sure to stay cool & hydrated!
I recall coming across several pilgrims who had to end their journey early due to heat stroke, and this was in mid-April.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have three weeks to walk Camino Santiago in june/july. Any suggestions of where to start? I’m wanting to meet people, enjoy great scenery, but would prefer to skip challenging downhill because of knee issues.

Also would love to see some great art any towns with art walks?
Burgos

So what about flights in to Portugal or would it be best to fly into Spain and take the bus?
I flew into Portugal. I flew into and out of Lisbon and took the train to Porto, but I know a number of people who just flew to Porto. (I went when I found a really cheap flight to Lisbon.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Burgos (and Leon) are easy and cheaper places to start from. Fly into Madrid, Alsa bus to Burgos (or Leon) . They are both great cities to explore (and also to purchase any necessary gear).
Alsa buses are fast efficient and cost effective.
And at the end, a quick flight back from Santiago.

Download this free android app - "Camino Pilgrim - Frances" from the apple store. Makes it very easy to set up an array of different schedules. I use it all the time even between visits to see what I can and/or want to walk.

Download this free android app - "Camino Pilgrim - Frances" from the apple store. Makes it very easy to set up an array of different schedules. I use it all the time even between visits to see what I can and/or want to walk.
Just looking at your camino history Lance ;) Like so many of us , once you have been bitten ........ 2023 here we come.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...
One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Hi everyone -- After walking the Frances from SJpdP last October, I'm planning to revisit the bit between Logrono and Burgos this July, following different stages. It's the section where I had...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
Just after 9am this morning I turned the last corner of the Camino Frances and stood in front of the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela!! It's been 33 days since I left Saint Jean Pied de Port...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back