• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start? Malaga, Almeria or Seville

Jay_Walker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese July 2022
I am planning to walk starting the Monday after Palm Sunday (I already have reservations for Sat/Sun in Malaga and Seville) but I can't decide where to start. I will be walking alone and this is my second Camino having done the Portuguese last year. I do a lot of hiking and am not concerned about the distances or hills. Yo hablo un poco español pero no muy bien. I realize I won't get all the way to Santiago in 38 days and that's ok.

1. Given that I have "only" 38 days of walking, which route would you choose for the most interesting scenery? I'm not against skipping a section either, if its too much like another.

2. Do you think there would be problems with accommodation during Semana Santa? My impression is that the Almeria/Seville routes would have enough pilgrim only albergues that don't take reservations but I'm not sure about the towns after Malaga.

3. Do you think I'll go mad on the lonely Mozarabe sections? I don't mind being alone but wouldn't want to go too long without seeing another pilgrim.

Thanks for any advice given.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did the Mozarabes this year from Almeria to Merida. Nely will organise all accomm up to Granada.

I left Granada on palm Sunday and did the stages throughout Easter week. I got into most of the albergues, but had to camp 4 nights. Also got accomm by the police 4 times. Also affordable hotels.

My guide book was not totally accurate, but with better Spanish I might have found out the alternatives.

You might find yourself alone a lot. The more mundane sections are at the start, river beds up to Guadix. Then the end leading to Merida, vast farm land and roads.

I did the Mozarabes this year from Almeria to Merida. Nely will organise all accomm up to Granada.

I left Granada on palm Sunday and did the stages throughout Easter week. I got into most of the albergues, but had to camp 4 nights. Also got accomm by the police 4 times. Also affordable hotels.

My guide book was not totally accurate, but with better Spanish I might have found out the alternatives.

You might find yourself alone a lot. The more mundane sections are at the start, river beds up to Guadix. Then the end leading to Merida, vast farm land and roads.
That's a little concerning about having to camp 4 nights. I am not bringing a tent, just a sleeping bag. Was that during Semana Santa?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
'had to' as more of a practicable choice rather than an imposition.

There were days when phone numbers in the guidebook lead to a dead end. I don't have much Spanish so I couldn't do enough research to find alternatives.

I could have taken a taxi to a hotel but that wasn't necessary. I opted to bivvy camp as I had the kit with me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I haven't walked the other two, but started in Malaga this year. Walking through the coastal mountains was difficult but beautiful. And past that, there were sights like olive groves stretching literally to the horizon. (They're planted in a way that covers the entire countryside in geometric patterns.)

I haven't walked the other two, but started in Malaga this year. Walking through the coastal mountains was difficult but beautiful. And past that, there were sights like olive groves stretching literally to the horizon. (They're planted in a way that covers the entire countryside in geometric patterns.)
Thank you for your reply. I am concerned about accommodation beyond Malaga during Easter week. Are there many albergues, or did you stay in private places? Also, did you find the olive grove monotonous?

Albergues. Gronze isn't very detailed on this part of the Mozarabe, but the albergue list is accurate. In general, you're supposed to call a day ahead of time and let Whom it May Concern that you're coming: sometimes the keys are at the local police station, sometimes they're with a volunteer who lives nearby. On one occasion, the mayor spotted me walking into town, and came out to personally set me up for the night.

I can't be sure about Easter week, but I think that if you call a few days ahead of time to let them know you're coming, they'll figure out a way to get the keys to you.

As for the olive groves, definitely not monotonous. Maybe I over-simplified; the landscapes are pretty diverse along that stretch. If you want, let me know and I'll scrounge up a few photos to give you a better idea.

Wait, I'm a moron. I posted them on https://www.instagram.com/senderisto/ and labeled them by stage name, you can check the posts starting on March 7th this year.

€46,-
Albergues. Gronze isn't very detailed on this part of the Mozarabe, but the albergue list is accurate. In general, you're supposed to call a day ahead of time and let Whom it May Concern that you're coming: sometimes the keys are at the local police station, sometimes they're with a volunteer who lives nearby. On one occasion, the mayor spotted me walking into town, and came out to personally set me up for the night.

I can't be sure about Easter week, but I think that if you call a few days ahead of time to let them know you're coming, they'll figure out a way to get the keys to you.

As for the olive groves, definitely not monotonous. Maybe I over-simplified; the landscapes are pretty diverse along that stretch. If you want, let me know and I'll scrounge up a few photos to give you a better idea.

Wait, I'm a moron. I posted them on https://www.instagram.com/senderisto/ and labeled them by stage name, you can check the posts starting on March 7th this year.
Wow, that is the most comprehensive set of photos I've seen anywhere. Thank you. Looks like you had amazing weather too.

I'm leaning towards starting in Seville, just for more company and infrastructure but your photos have me second guessing myself. I've already booked hotels for the week of Semana Santa just to be safe but I could still cancel.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back