• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

where to start with 18-20 walking days?

ZampeBianche

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, September 2023
Hi everyone! I'm ZampeBianche, after my two doggos with white paws. Long time mostly lurker, finally posting a thread!

I've finally got my work schedule sorted and some dates set for my camino. YAY! Now, trying to decide where to start! The majority of my planning has been focused on the CF but I am open to suggestions for a good first camino. I have 18-20 walking days between 18 September and 9 October. (Travel days from the USA are already accounted for and I'm an experienced international traveler, though first time walker :) )

I've been sort of looking at two options: (1) SJPP or Pamplona, and then walking as far as possible (Leon??) or (2) further along, such as Leon, and ending in Santiago. I had really hoped to walk the Meseta though, so would starting somewhere like Sahagun or Carrion de los Condes be feasible for a Santiago finish? Starting at the Alto de Perdon or with the singing nuns in Carrion sounds like a really meaningful way to start the journey. Burgos and Leon both have amazing cathedrals which could be a good start too! (Like every other first time walker, I am somewhat anxious about finding accommodations etc. since it sounds like September is usually a busy time...I'm trying to embrace the uncertainty!)

My question is, where would you start with that much walking time in late September/October? Why would you start there?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi everyone! I'm ZampeBianche, after my two doggos with white paws. Long time mostly lurker, finally posting a thread!

I've finally got my work schedule sorted and some dates set for my camino. YAY! Now, trying to decide where to start! The majority of my planning has been focused on the CF but I am open to suggestions for a good first camino. I have 18-20 walking days between 18 September and 9 October. (Travel days from the USA are already accounted for and I'm an experienced international traveler, though first time walker :) )

I've been sort of looking at two options: (1) SJPP or Pamplona, and then walking as far as possible (Leon??) or (2) further along, such as Leon, and ending in Santiago. I had really hoped to walk the Meseta though, so would starting somewhere like Sahagun or Carrion de los Condes be feasible for a Santiago finish? Starting at the Alto de Perdon or with the singing nuns in Carrion sounds like a really meaningful way to start the journey. Burgos and Leon both have amazing cathedrals which could be a good start too! (Like every other first time walker, I am somewhat anxious about finding accommodations etc. since it sounds like September is usually a busy time...I'm trying to embrace the uncertainty!)

My question is, where would you start with that much walking time in late September/October? Why would you start there?
When I had that much time (3 weeks vacation) at the beginning of October, I did the Camino Portugues from Porto, which I think is an excellent first Camino if one's available time is in the 2-3 week range. I ended up taking 13 days walking and 4 days tourism + travel days. But if you didn't want the tourism days but instead more walking you could go on to Finisterre and/or Muxia.

Starting in Porto there isn't as much the "starting in the middle" feeling as starting in Leon or Astorga as such a large portion of CP walkers start there. I tend to compare Lisbon/Porto/Tui to Le Puy/SJPP/Sarria.

There is plenty of infrastructure, a good community of fellow pilgrims but no one complains about "hordes", lots to see, different options for different tastes, and two countries cultures to experience.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would also recommend Astorga - Santiago. That's a very beautiful stretch of the CF.

But the singing nuns at Carrion are really special and I would recommend anyone to try to stay with them if you do find yourself on that part of the Way.

If you can afford 18-20 days maybe start in Logroño (if you are a fast walker) or Burgos (if you are not as fast)?

I did need 27 days from SJPdP to SdC and walked 16 days from Burgos.
Don't miss the Meseta, an experience I would highly recommend!

Depending on how fast you walk, Burgos is a good option. It took me a week between Burgos and Leon, and 2 to Santiago. With a 13 year old.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Start in Burgos walk to Santiago di Compostela
Buen Camino

Thank you everyone for your insights; they are very helpful! :D

If you can afford 18-20 days maybe start in Logroño (if you are a fast walker) or Burgos (if you are not as fast)?

I did need 27 days from SJPdP to SdC and walked 16 days from Burgos.
Don't miss the Meseta, an experience I would highly recommend!
I'm naturally a fast walker (as my travel companions often point out when sightseeing hahaha) but I'm not quite sure yet how that will translate with a backpack! I suppose I have some time to figure it out (and I'm seriously impressed by 27 days, you're a walk star!). My way of dealing with work stress for the last few weeks has been picturing walking on the Meseta and it would be lovely to experience in person.

When I had that much time (3 weeks vacation) at the beginning of October, I did the Camino Portugues from Porto, which I think is an excellent first Camino if one's available time is in the 2-3 week range. I ended up taking 13 days walking and 4 days tourism + travel days. But if you didn't want the tourism days but instead more walking you could go on to Finisterre and/or Muxia.

Starting in Porto there isn't as much the "starting in the middle" feeling as starting in Leon or Astorga as such a large portion of CP walkers start there. I tend to compare Lisbon/Porto/Tui to Le Puy/SJPP/Sarria.

There is plenty of infrastructure, a good community of fellow pilgrims but no one complains about "hordes", lots to see, different options for different tastes, and two countries cultures to experience.
Thank you David, I've enjoyed reading about your adventures on the Camino de Madrid! I would actually like to do that route at some point when I'm a more experienced pilgrim :) The feeling of starting in the middle is exactly why I'm hesitating about committing to the CF at this point. I'm doing more research into the Portugues now. Do you have a favorite route? From poking around here it seems like switching between the littoral/costal/central is reasonably straightforward. I've not been to Portugal yet though I have been to Spain a few times, though not really to the north outside of Bilbao. Do you have any thoughts on starting locations on the CF, if I go that route?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Although I am a fast walker and would if I needed to.... start and attempt the lot from St Jean but i like the thinking about Burgos and then If you find you have spare days you could walk to Finisterre or Muxia too

I would start at st john and see how far you go...then when you return (you are bound to) just pick up form where you left off and finish it off...i met people who had done odd bits, most still longed it have done it all

Thank you everyone for your insights; they are very helpful! :D

I'm naturally a fast walker (as my travel companions often point out when sightseeing hahaha) but I'm not quite sure yet how that will translate with a backpack! I suppose I have some time to figure it out (and I'm seriously impressed by 27 days, you're a walk star!). My way of dealing with work stress for the last few weeks has been picturing walking on the Meseta and it would be lovely to experience in person.

Thank you David, I've enjoyed reading about your adventures on the Camino de Madrid! I would actually like to do that route at some point when I'm a more experienced pilgrim :) The feeling of starting in the middle is exactly why I'm hesitating about committing to the CF at this point. I'm doing more research into the Portugues now. Do you have a favorite route? From poking around here it seems like switching between the littoral/costal/central is reasonably straightforward. I've not been to Portugal yet though I have been to Spain a few times, though not really to the north outside of Bilbao. Do you have any thoughts on starting locations on the CF, if I go that route?
If you mean a favourite route on the Portugues, I did a bit of a mix and match. I started on the Senda Litoral walking along the river and up the shoreline, but switched over to the Central fairly early, walking from Vila do Conde to Arcos. My reasoning was:
- I had heard the Central has more of a "pilgrim feel" so I wanted more of it (I should note that others dispute this and I haven't walked enough of the Coastal to gave an informed opinion)
- I had heard this was a nicer walk out of Porto than the northward walks of the Central and Coastal routes
- I wanted to stay at Casa da Fernanda which meant an early switch over as she us between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima.

Another option for mixing the routes I might recommend (based on what I've read) Is to start the way I did and then switch back to the Coastal when you get to Tui, and then do the Spiritual Variant. The reasoning is:
- You get a more even split between Central and Coastal
- The Coastal scenery in Spain is, I've heard, some of the best along the route
- You still get the benefits of what I did (nice walk out of Porto, Casa da Fernanda, and the nice Portuguese towns on the Central, as well as Tui)
- Many people have been raving about the Spiritual Variant

The downside is more time spent in crossovers.

If you were asking which is my favourite Camino route overall, there are still to many I want to try before opining on that, much as I love to opine.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think the OP’s original instinct to cover Pamplona to Leon, is a good one. You get almost all of the meseta, plus a great section before. Good means of transportation out of both cities as well. Starting in Pamplona, you will still be able to form a cadre with people you like, if that is important to you, and experience the heart of this Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back