• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start

Gloria Van Natter

Time of past OR future Camino
I am a new member. My friend did the Camino 2014, I believe her daughter did all the planning.....I just don’t know where to start.
Which would be a good route for a first timer, where do I fly to. A good guide book to help me plan? If someone could just point me in the right direction....any info is much appreciated

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You could start here: https://www.gronze.com/#todos Then all you have to figure is which route and for how long and where you want to finish. Where you fly to kind of depends on where you're flying from but you can get to just about anywhere in Spain from Madrid.

The answer to just about every question about the caminos is available from this lovely community but we can't answer the really big ones. :)

Welcome to the forum.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Take a look at the American Pilgrims on the Camino FAQ web page. Loads of information that is tailor-written for people just beginning their planning. After that you'll have a good idea of the specific questions you want to ask. Then comb through the forum, post something new, whatever you need. But that will help get you started.

Welcome, Gloria, it's great to have you with us on this terrific forum.

A popular Camino for first timers is Camino Frances. You can start anywhere along its length, although many decide to start in St Jean Pied de Port in France.

I would suggest that your very first step on this forum would be to explore the various topics which cover your specific concerns. There is a large storehouse of information available at your fingertips, and the search engine on this forum will help find the answers to the topics you need to research.

It is a bit overwhelming when you decide to do something like a Camino. But if you take a big breath and focus on one subject area at a time it will reduce the overwhelming and anxious feelings you have. You can start by looking at information to help you decide which route and what time of year you want to go. Decide if you have the time and desire to do an entire Camino, or is your time limited and you want to do a bit of the Camino over a few years. Once you have firmed up those areas, then things will start to come together in you mind as you plan your trip. Just start reading through the various forums to get the feel of how everything works and how folks interact.

Once you know the above, the specifics of travel, equipment to bring, accommodations, budget, training, etc, will begin to take shape. There are many good guidebooks and resources, some can be purchased from Ivar's store -- this forum's sponsor. Other online resources are available as well, as I'm sure you've discovered already.

But I highly suggest that you spend the time on this forum researching the answers to your questions in the huge archive of posts, and once your mind has begun to put things together, folks will be happy to help fill in the missing pieces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is easier to answer those questions once you know: how much time you have, what season you chose to walk, and and and.

Buen camino.

@Gloria Van Natter I'm not sitting on the fence on this one. I say the Camino Francés as your first camino. From St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. In the Spanish spring or autumn. Do your research on that.

To get you started. Fly into Madrid. Catch the train or bus to Pamplona. At Pamplona catch the bus to St Jean Pied de Port in Spain. There are buses direct from Madrid airport to Pamplona but it depends on your flight arrival - so this is the first bit of research you will have to do - flights, whether to say in Madrid overnight, and onward journey.

Start walking at St Jean Pied de Port.

Walk to Valcarlos the first day - only 12km and a lovely walk through Basque countryside. Stay in the Valcarlos albergue which is a good introduction to albergue accommodation. Eat at the great restaurant at the end of the village. The next morning walk to Roncesvalles - being aware that this is likely to be your most difficult day on the Camino - it is only 12km but really steep. So take some high energy snacks (a great excuse for chocolate) and do take it easily.

Alternatively walk the Route Napoleon with all the other pilgrims. But unless you are super fit and athletic, have a place booked at the Gite d'etap at Orisson for the first night.

Once you have walked the first two days you will be right. And after the first camino - ready to walk lots more!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just don’t know where to start ... any info is much appreciated

I would start with prepartion of both your body, and mind. It may be straight forward to walk between 20 to 40 km severl times a month. To my mind it is another thing to do that day after day for a around 30 days.

I'm a slow learner. It took me nearly a year to regularly achieve 30 km each outing. It took a lot longer to achieve 20 km non-stop before a breakfast stop, as a way of training my mind.

I am lucky that the topography where I live gave me two routes where I could attain between 500 and 700 metres of elevation gain, the latter before breakfast.

And part of preparation is finding what pack, clothing and other stuff works for you on your training trips.

While preparing mind, body and equipment you think about your route that will (eventually) end at Santiago de Compostella.

Tincatinker has blown you away with the large number of routes.

A major factor for tyros is knowing the infrastructure, especially accomdation and food will be avaialble at regular intervals. So Kanga, rightly, suggests the Frances starting at Saint-Jean.

Depending on your closeness to western Europe and time avaialble I make three suggestions.

Firstly, a short Frances starting at Sarria. This can be seen as an extension of your preparation.

Secondly, to start at Le Puy-en-Velay.

Thirdly, longer routes could be completed as a continuous journey to Santiago Or completed in segments of, say, two or three weeks at a time.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get moving)

I am a new member. My friend did the Camino 2014, I believe her daughter did all the planning.....I just don’t know where to start.
Which would be a good route for a first timer, where do I fly to. A good guide book to help me plan? If someone could just point me in the right direction....any info is much appreciated

Well, where do you live ?

But still, all things being equal (and of course they're not, are they ?), why not start walking from the airport of your arrival ?

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.