• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which albergue or hostel should I definitely stay at?

annitje

I am leaving in may and wonder which places people advice I should really not miss out. :) Or the other way around, I really should NOT?! :(

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
San Nicholas was particularly sweet.
San Anton was lovely - the ruins lit up at night by candlelight was a special experience.
In Viana, I LOVED the parochial. Although we slept on floor mats, we had a wonderful family style meal and the priest took us on a tour of the church treasures held below the sanctuary.
Grañon was wonderful - floor mats again, but a very sweet priest.
Rabanal was a treat - afternoon tea

gosh.. so many favorites.

A very personal and subjective list from me...

Casa Paderborn in Pamplona , samll albergue from the german confraternity of St James, close to the river.
Parroquial in Estella.Also donativo , please give what you can miss...
The municipal with donativo menu in Redecilla del Camino...such nice ladies from the village who cook for you.
The parroquial in Tosantos : nice vibe...
Private one Casa Nostra in Castrojeriz, clean , lots of space and a very nice owner!
The Sisters of Espiritu Santo in Carrion de los Condes : individual beds. ( also a well run centro de salud in that town but that's another story ).
The municipal in Mansilla de la Mulas...hospitalera takes care of all blisters!!
Indeed, Gaucelmo from the english confraternity in Rabanal , loved it there!
Aitzenea , a private one in Triacastela...beautifuly restored old building with again a very nice lady.
Ultreia, another private one in Portomarin.
The last two a bit more expensive than the other ones, 10 and 12 € but I guess it also had to with the fact that both are on the last 100 K...

To avoid : municipal in Hornillos del Camino : mould and mould and yuck...
San Juan de Ortega : some more mould maybe?
Villadangos del Paramo municipal : uninterested deskperson and I saw at least four beds with blood on it...Say no more!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
THANKS VERY MUCH! I shall dot it down in my travelbook! It is ok to go primitive but one can have a limit when it comes to hygiene..

I agree about avoiding Hornillos.
A LOT of bedbug issues begin there.
Also, there are bedbugs in Astorga at Javier and they just shrugged when I told them!
The municipal there is clean and nice.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Also remember, people's experience will vary greatly depending on who happens to be the hospitalero or hospitalera at the time. One person may get a cranky, tired, worn out grouch and a week later a pilgrim will find a sweet, kind, helpful angel in their place. lol

If you do find the grouch, cut them some slack.
Consider how you might deal with all those needy pilgrims, including the ones who think you owe them something more for their tiny donation than a shelter from the elements.

Anniesantiago said:
Also remember, people's experience will vary greatly depending on who happens to be the hospitalero or hospitalera at the time.
Which is certainly true, even though they have to work in facilities with the given tools.
Facilities may not be star-rated but the atmosphere, created by hospitaleros (or owners) amongst pilgrims, will make up for the odd imperfection.
Unfortunately ( :?: ) I am not aware of a "Camino Tripadvisor", and after having stayed in more than 100 albergues of the Camino Francés over the past years, I realized that Anniesantiago's appreciation is spot on :!:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.