• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Camino for my elderly friend?

Chris Gi

Time of past OR future Camino
I am hoping to be able to introduce an elderly friend of mine to the Camino (although she is somewhat younger than my 80+ years). We had planned to go in 2021 but now we are looking toward later in September of 2022. She had originally thought she would like to do the final 100 Km from Sarria so she could get her Compostela, and as she doesn't want to walk more than an average of 7 miles a day I thought that we should be able to find accommodations quite easily doing that route.
I, on the other hand, would like to do the Inglese, but I wondered if we would have a problem (a) finding accommodations within her walking ability and (b) is the terrain more difficult than on the last 100 Kms of the Frances? She definitely would like to avoid having to take taxis or buses. We are not under any time constraints and we do currently hike 5-6 miles 2 or 3 times a week.
Any advice or suggestions will be most welcome.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You would struggle with the Ingles purely because of the lack of accommodation every 7 miles, or thereabouts. In all other respects, in my opinion, it meets your needs; is no more difficult than the last 100 from Sarria; is far less crowded and more ‘real’ rural Galicia. The places you stay or eat are primarily for the locals not specifically for tourists.

There are options to taxi back and forth to reduce daily distance whilst still walking the entire way.

I have not walked the Portuguese yet - but from what I know of it, it would be worth a look.

The last 100 from Sarria has the best developed infrastructure and plenty of Camino atmosphere. It’s probably the default choice.

in your position, I’d use a bag transport service.

I am hoping to be able to introduce an elderly friend of mine to the Camino (although she is somewhat younger than my 80+ years). We had planned to go in 2021 but now we are looking toward later in September of 2022. She had originally thought she would like to do the final 100 Km from Sarria so she could get her Compostela, and as she doesn't want to walk more than an average of 7 miles a day I thought that we should be able to find accommodations quite easily doing that route.
I, on the other hand, would like to do the Inglese, but I wondered if we would have a problem (a) finding accommodations within her walking ability and (b) is the terrain more difficult than on the last 100 Kms of the Frances? She definitely would like to avoid having to take taxis or buses. We are not under any time constraints and we do currently hike 5-6 miles 2 or 3 times a week.
I would love to be planning such as this when I am 80+, and 18 months hence! Given the desire to get the Compostella it has to be Frances. More than enough choices of accommodation and not overly demanding

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You would struggle with the Ingles purely because of the lack of accommodation every 7 miles, or thereabouts. In all other respects, in my opinion, it meets your needs; is no more difficult than the last 100 from Sarria; is far less crowded and more ‘real’ rural Galicia. The places you stay or eat are primarily for the locals not specifically for tourists.

There are options to taxi back and forth to reduce daily distance whilst still walking the entire way.

I have not walked the Portuguese yet - but from what I know of it, it would be worth a look.

The last 100 from Sarria has the best developed infrastructure and plenty of Camino atmosphere. It’s probably the default choice.

in your position, I’d use a bag transport service.
Thank you for your sage advice 🙏

I think your elderly friend would love the route from Sarria. I met someone in her mid 80s and she walks that route every year. Used to carry a pack, but now gets is transported, and she walks only short distances each day, with accommodation booked all the way so she does not have any worries. The rest of her retirement village think she is nuts! I think she is very sane, and long may she continue to walk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You might try the Portuguese Coastal Camino. Having said that I have met 2 Octogenarians who walked the complete Camino Frances. One was from Alaska. Met him in an albergue. It was early October about 500k from Santiago. He had the coolest white beard ever. He told me he had no schedule. He just needed to be home in time to be Santa Claus for his hoard of grandchildren and great-grandchildren. The other was from Japan. He didn't speak much English and of course my vast knowledge of Japanese lead to barely any conversation haha. We took a photo together and had lunch. I think his backpack weighed more than he did. Finally I met the amazing Steve a few days out of Lisbon. He was 83 and walked all the way to Santiago with his pack also. He was one of the great characters ever!
I also met two couples that were between 77-79 that walked the Norte. They were amazing themselves to say the least.
So take your time and I bet you and your friend between albergues, pensions, hostels, taxis, buses, pack services, and of course walking and your will, you both thegether can do anything!!!!

I would love to be planning such as this when I am 80+, and 18 months hence! Given the desire to get the Compostella it has to be Frances. More than enough choices of accommodation and not overly demanding
I may have misunderstood the reason you said you have to do the CF but if one of your goals is to get your Compostela in Santiago, you can walk any route that ends in Santiago and that you have two stamps a day in your Pilgrim Passport over the last 100K. Questions, concerns etc for your first Camino? We are all here to help. If you really need the support of having albergues every 6 or 7K (many people do of course) and having the most developed infrastructure of cafes, pack transport and all other services, than the CF is also the way to go. Take your time, listen to your body, don't push yourself too hard, it is your walk and no one else's, you will love it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Other options which would qualify your friend for the compostela would be to walk the Sanabres, from Ourense or the Invierno from Montforte de Lemos. But if she is reluctant to take a bus or taxi, even to return to the same place the next day to continue the walk, I suspect that the Frances from Sarria is probably her only option. Starting later in September, she should find it somewhat less busy than earlier in the season, and a comfortable temperature for walking.

Hi Chris
I have done 4 Caminos alone and was planning to to do Camino Ingles with my wife last year until the Covid Situation kicked in. My wife has knee problems and is only good for about 10k per day. I used John Brierley's guide and found it easy to plan out short days with this. I think the Ingles is also less crowded and easier walking than Frances and of course your friend can get her Compostella as it is about 120k.
Buen Camino
Vince

Chris, it has been too many years since I walked from Ferrol to Santiago on the Ingles, so dare not advise on accommodation. But to reminisce, and qualifying that this was in the month of March when tourism is not rampant, it was not easy to find places to stay. Back then, the route was not well marked, although I imagine now it is improved. I recall many local people were surprised to learn that there was a route or that I was on it so early in the year. But it was a good route to take and enjoyable in many ways.
The Camino Portugues Costal was the last route I was on (September 2019) before lock down. I very much enjoyed it--in fact, of all my pilgrimages, it is my favorite.
I wish you and your companion well, and I trust you will make the proper choices as needed on your journeys.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back