• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Camino route best suits dysfunctional knees?

paleoirish

Miriam
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2019
I joined the forum back in 2016 and have enjoyed reading and learning from everyone's experiences. After lots of loosely planned and abandoned Camino plans I've finally organised the time slot to walk some of the Camino de Santiago, beginning mid April 2019. I'm going solo as trying to go with friends has not worked out in the past and so I thought that perhaps the Camino Frances would be the simplest route to choose because of the huge support network of services available.

I've long thought of one of my knees as my bad knee due to falls off horses, a motorbike and most recently a skiing accident which resulted in both cartilage and ligament damage twenty years ago. A wee while ago it seems my bad knee heard about my plans, realised that I was serious this time and began a loud uncomfortable conversation with me every time I walked up a slope or a set of stairs, thus I began a conversation with a physiotherapist.

It turns out that both of my knees are "dysfuntional" and I have quite a bit of work to do to improve how I distribute my weight (a whole other issue, also being worked on) through my knees onto my feet. The work has begun however now I'm wondering whether my choice of route is the best one for me and my knees.

Interestingly, although I have begun my preparations, have been reading guide books, have almost finished working on my packing list and bought some lovely lightweight goodies, including a pair of walking poles, I have yet to book my flight so I'm open to change. When I have an arrival date and a location I will add myself to the calendar.

I have about 6 weeks to spend on my adventure and I'm not really very attached to any particular route or indeed to reaching any particular finish point. While it would be lovely to reach SdC and continue onto Finnesterre and Muxia it's not a deal breaker for me. I'm looking on the time as an opportunity to have a long conversation with myself and detach from screens which I use in my working life, meeting, listening to and getting to know other people will be the bonus.

I'm open to hearing any and all advice you wonderful people have to offer me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Camino Frances has the most support and the most pilgrims. I would suggest that you do some test hiking with your backpack at home to see about your capabilities. If you are miserable, then a change of scenery in Spain for the misery may not be worth it. Follow your doctor's advice. None of the caminos are easy!!:)

Hi Miriam,
IMO, the CF is absolutely the right route for your particular circumstances (as you've outlined them in your post). Unless you're wedded to the idea, I'd consider starting in Pamplona and avoiding the strenuous first day over the Pyrennees via the Napoleon route (unless you're considering the Valcarlos alternative?).
I'm assuming you're flying from Dublin, so getting to Bilbao is easy enough and from there to Pamplona is an easy enough transfer.
I'd also consider transferring your pack on from place to place. Maybe you won't need to do this every day, but the service is excellent on the CF.
Be careful on downhill sections and consider using the zig-zag, side-to-side method in order to reduce the stress on your knees.
When you get to the climb up to O'Cebreiro you'll be faced with an interesting choice. You could opt to travel up on horseback, but with your past record of 'unplanned dismounts', you might baulk at this idea!!! ;)
Starting in Pamplona and walking at a pace and distances that suit you, should mean that you have ample time to reach Fisterra and Muxia. The one regret I had was not having enough time to walk past SdC.
Finally, if you have some spare days at the end of your Camino, I'd strongly recommend a visit to A Coruna and a stay at either the Hotel Maria Pita or The Hotel Riazor, both ideally placed on the gorgeous seafront and a great way of spoiling yourself and reflecting on your Camino.
All the best with your preparations and on your travels!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Miriam,
I have problems with my knee also. The key thing is to use walking poles which reduce the strain on your knees. Also a good suggestion is to send ahead your bag and not carry it yourself as this will also reduce the pressure on your joints. I agree with the comment above about maybe avoiding the Pyrenees as it is a reasonably demanding climb. I think Pamplona would be a good accessible starting point which you could get to by bus from Bilbao. The other thing is to listen to your knees! In other words adjust your daily walk if your joints are sore. Good luck! john

Hi Miriam!
i started from Pamplona end of august last summer until Burgos .As it was my first try of el Camino i didn't want to cross the Pyrenees , i wasn't sure of how my body would react even though i am quite fit for my age (66) .It was a really good decision.I walked a t my own pace , 12 to 18 kms the first week and then an average of 20 to 25.Stronger everyday ! i will start again from Burgos mid april too and hope to go to SCP this time .Buen Camino and be good to yourself!

Knees are, indeed a bother.

I like the Camino Francés suggestion above, for the last few years I've had to concentrate on shorter caminos for work reasons, so I can recommend lots of different 150 - 300 km flat stretches if you need a recommendation for next year.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Knees don't last forever when you do sports and the like when younger. I have one knee that is just plain worn out. Every Camino I feed it aspirin and secure it with a knee brace.
My advice is use trekking poles for sure and the right footwear. Also I would suggest just sending you pack ahead everyday, or everyday you are able to via one of the services like Jacotrans (Camino Frances) and carrying a small daypack for you water and such.
Using a pack transport service does not lessen the experience of walking the Camino one bit and in a situation where physical limitations almost require it, just plain makes sense.

Last edited:
My knees and hips support a crooked spine, which I've had since 12. There's already alot of wear and tear on them. I just plan on walking my own pace and stopping when I'm tired and ready for a rest when I'm tired. I'm always working on training for the distance, for now on a flat treadmill. I think any training can only benefit me. At this point, walking slow is my main strategy, stopping in the lesser known villages for the night. It may take me longer but as Tom says in the movie "Then I'd better get started." I've already waited seven years for this trip and they were very long years as only someone who can who has delayed answering the call. I have freedom and money now. These were my obstacles before when I abandoned hope of the Camino.

Not only did my spirit suffer when I abandoned my plans, my body did too because I quit being as active. I quit training. That did not help me or make me a better person. With the renewed commitment to my dreams, I'm again training, hope fills my spirit, I've quit smoking, my animals keep the couch warm. I know will not be able to walk someone else's Camino. Many have trained and planned for a month's time. I've got freedom for rest days and plan to use them when I'm someplace interesting to prevent injury.

The Camino is not a race for me but after seven years, getting there has become the slowest marathon in history lol. Listen to your doctors of course but also listen to your heart. And I won't feel guilty myself if I have to use a bag service.

I didn't have bad knees when I started, but I sure developed them along the way! Enough that I was sidelined for several days trying to recover enough to continue. (Yes, I had been using poles. But I ignored my increasing pain until it was too late.)

The good thing about the Frances is the frequency of albergues. Some days I was only able to walk 7 or 8 kilometers, but there were always lovely places to stay, new and interesting people to meet, and plenty of cafes and bars to relax and contemplate what all this meant to my pilgrimage.

Hospitaleros could not have been nicer. Some of them made sure I had a lower bunk, one even called ahead to my next stop and, without me knowing it, arranged for that albergue's "handicap" room. Four bunks, but all to myself, and my own private bathroom!! And plenty of other pilgrims staying in the dorms upstairs, so lots of comaraderie.

The frequency of accommodations and the number of other pilgrims for companionship make the Frances a great choice for walking with pain or injury. As well as a wide network of transportation options if needed, and pack transfers available in every village.

I took buses in and out of Leon (and then spent all day walking all over that gorgeous city, so sort of defeating my purpose, haha), and shared taxis down from the Cruz de Ferro and O Cebreiero. I would recommend doing both.

But I did walk up to O Cebreiero, breaking the trip the wonderful LaFaba albergue and loved every second of the walk. Just take it very, very slowly.

Do everything you can to strengthen your knee muscles beforehand. And core exercises help ease all the joints in our bodies. I'm sure you're already doing these things, but it never hurts to repeat. Especially for those, like me, who started out thinking their knees were fine. 😉

Wishing you a great journey!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I too have bad knees. They told me in 2005 I needed 2 new ones but I ignored them and made them try gel injections and a steroid shot. I’m going to start Camino #4 in Porto in May on those same original knees and I’m 70. Poles will be your best friend and I used pack transport. I think the Frances is doable if you go at your pace. I did part of the Norte last year and my knees hated me. Which ever you pick just go at your own pace and there are other ways to get from place to place along the way. I took a bus and a cab, ride a horse up a hill and took a horse cart across a stretch of the Meseta. Buen Camino

The Camino Frances has the most support and the most pilgrims. I would suggest that you do some test hiking with your backpack at home to see about your capabilities. If you are miserable, then a change of scenery in Spain for the misery may not be worth it. Follow your doctor's advice. None of the caminos are easy!!:)
Very practical advice, thank you! Thankfully I'm not miserable and hopefully the physio work will only improve matters ;)

Hi Miriam,
IMO, the CF is absolutely the right route for your particular circumstances (as you've outlined them in your post). Unless you're wedded to the idea, I'd consider starting in Pamplona and avoiding the strenuous first day over the Pyrennees via the Napoleon route (unless you're considering the Valcarlos alternative?).
I had indeed wondered about skipping the mountains as that would be the worst possible start for me. I'll look into starting in Pamplona instead, that's a really useful suggestion :)

When you get to the climb up to O'Cebreiro you'll be faced with an interesting choice. You could opt to travel up on horseback, but with your past record of 'unplanned dismounts', you might baulk at this idea!!! ;)
Luckily I got better at staying on horses and the prospect of doing some of the trek on horseback fills me with delight ;)

Thanks for the encouraging suggestion that I use a pack carry service for some of the early walk, I know that I'd be a little reluctant to do this ordinarily however there's absolutely no point in allowing stubbornness or pride to shorten my walk.
I have used poles before when i was an active hill walker and yes, tacking downhill is the way to go... Unless there's traffic!;)

Finally, if you have some spare days at the end of your Camino, I'd strongly recommend a visit to A Coruna and a stay at either the Hotel Maria Pita or The Hotel Riazor, both ideally placed on the gorgeous seafront and a great way of spoiling yourself and reflecting on your Camino.
I love this suggestion 😍

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
.... The other thing is to listen to your knees! In other words adjust your daily walk if your joints are sore. Good luck! john
Thanks John, yes to everything that you said and I think the last piece will be a learning experience for me!

Hi Miriam!
i started from Pamplona end of august last summer until Burgos .As it was my first try of el Camino i didn't want to cross the Pyrenees , i wasn't sure of how my body would react even though i am quite fit for my age (66) .It was a really good decision.I walked a t my own pace , 12 to 18 kms the first week and then an average of 20 to 25.Stronger everyday ! i will start again from Burgos mid april too and hope to go to SCP this time .Buen Camino and be good to yourself!
Thanks Rozeen, this is indeed encouraging for me to hear 😍
Enjoy your own return to the path, you'll be a wee bit ahead of me, Buen Camino.

I second most all of the comments above. My knees have virtually no meniscus left. I am clinically obese, but otherwise healthy(ish).

I deal with my knackered knees on all six of my Caminos as follows:

Work with your doctor to develop a series of “tools” to work around your problem. These tools might include:

1.Knee braces, I wear two compression braces with an open patella. It really helps.

2.Oral pain medication that can be taken before starting in the morning and which lasts six hours so I can arrive at my destination,”. I take arthritis strength Tylenol (paracetamol) before starting each morning.

3. Analgesic ointment or cream to alleviate pain and swelling after walking, pre sleep, and again in the morning before “booting up.” Popular products available from pharmacists without prescription includes: Fisiocrem, Luxoben Forte, and the classic Voltaren. I get the best results from Luxoben,

4. Hiking sticks, TWO - NOT ONE. It makes a huge difference. Watch videos on You Tube on “how to use hiking poles...” It’s like swimming, riding a bike, or... once you learn you never forget. I use them. They become part of you, giving you four-paw drive...

5. Wear mid-height hiking boots for the added support. I wear Keen boots for the roomy toe box. There are MANY opinions on the Forum. But proper foot support affects the geometry of your legs, knees and hips.

6. Regardless of footwear, consider either prescription orthotic inserts or higher quality replacement insoles. Originally, I had prescription orthotics. Then I used Superfeet insoles (orange). I presently use Dr. Scholl’s gel insoles, based on a recommendation from s podiatrist in Spain.

Coordinate all the above, experience - based suggestions with your doctor(s).

Beyond this, while on Camino there are a few ”legal cheats” you can use to accomplish your Camino.

Many of us will call a taxi, or ride a bus into a city to avoid the industrial belts around the larger cities (Burgos & Leon).

If you plan to cover 25 km, but cannot do the last 6 - 7 km, go into a cafe / bar and ask them to call you a taxi to (town). It costs about €1 per km.

If there is a hill in front of you that, for medical reasons, you cannot do, use the same technique to get you either to the top, or to another place on your line of march.

Plan to walk the Meseta, from about Fromista to just before Leon. It is the flattest part of the Camino Frances and is very scenic.

You cannot use transport during the last 100 kilometers on your Camino into Santiago. If you do so, you will not be eligible for a Compostela. Better to plan ahead to avoid frustration and disappointment.

Finally, build in time to take rest days, perhaps weekly, at a place amenable to this. If needed, you can take a ziplock and ask for ice (hielqs) at any bar or cafe. Wrap the bag in your hiking towel to avoid freeze burn.

You CAN DO THIS! If we can help, just ask.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Knees are, indeed a bother.

I like the Camino Francés suggestion above, for the last few years I've had to concentrate on shorter caminos for work reasons, so I can recommend lots of different 150 - 300 km flat stretches if you need a recommendation for next year.
That's very thoughtful HeidiL, the idea of possibly heading back next year for a shorter walk is exciting, I'll keep your offer in mind if I decide to do this.

Miriam, so good to see that you are about to set off. I have one dodgy knee. I had an injection on the last day of 2018. It is beginning to wear off, in my humble opinion. I am not surprised, I think it is a temporary solution when total banjax is not the case. You may not have the degree of dysfunction that warrants it, but f you do, and can fast-track getting an injection, it will make such a difference to your camino.
I have a checkup soon, and am going to ask to have a second injection just before I head over to walk a bit in the summer time. I also began physio, and the excellent person I found has finished with me. She does not need my money! I am trying to say, she has shown me what to do, and is not looking for weekly visits to fill her coffers. If you are up in Dublin any time before you head off and want to have a chat, or even have a phone call, just pm me. Equally, the Camino society is open from Thursday to Saturday, 10.30 till 3.30pm, and they can answer any questions you might have. Otherwise, I agree with suggestions to get the bus, or blablacar, from Bilbao to Pamplona and set off from there. That being said, I would hate not starting from Roncesvalles, just because it is where I began the Camino Frances! Whatever, I wish you Buen Camino, and look forward to your posts along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
... Also I would suggest just sending you pack ahead everyday, or everyday you are able to via one of the services like Jacotrans (Camino Frances) and carrying a small daypack for you water and such.
Using a pack transport service does not lessen the experience of walking the Camino one bit and in a situation where physical limitations almost require it, just plain makes sense.
Thanks for the tip RJM and I'm sorry to hear that you also have a banjaxed knee.

Sending my pack ahead does seem like a sensible thing to do, at least for the first week or so until I get my feet under me. I must look into this a little more and learn about the services available, I'm sure that I can use the search button to learn about them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Camino is not a race for me but after seven years, getting there has become the slowest marathon in history lol. Listen to your doctors of course but also listen to your heart. And I won't feel guilty myself if I have to use a bag service.
Lizlane, it sounds as though you are on a good path now, thanks for sharing your story and for giving encouragement, it's much appreciated! The more I ponder on it the more the bag service sounds like a good way for me to start, once I've a few kms under the soles of me feet I can always reassess the situation :)

I didn't have bad knees when I started, but I sure developed them along the way! Enough that I was sidelined for several days trying to recover enough to continue. (Yes, I had been using poles. But I ignored my increasing pain until it was too late.)

The good thing about the Frances is the frequency of albergues. Some days I was only able to walk 7 or 8 kilometers, but there were always lovely places to stay, new and interesting people to meet, and plenty of cafes and bars to relax and contemplate what all this meant to my pilgrimage.

Thanks for sharing your experience and I will endeavour to learn from it and not repeat it ;)

The frequency of accommodations and the number of other pilgrims for companionship make the Frances a great choice for walking with pain or injury. As well as a wide network of transportation options if needed, and pack transfers available in every village.

I took buses in and out of Leon ... and shared taxis down from the Cruz de Ferro and O Cebreiero. I would recommend doing both.

But I did walk up to O Cebreiero, breaking the trip the wonderful LaFaba albergue and loved every second of the walk. Just take it very, very slowly.

Do everything you can to strengthen your knee muscles beforehand. And core exercises help ease all the joints in our bodies. I'm sure you're already doing these things, but it never hurts to repeat. Especially for those, like me, who started out thinking their knees were fine.

Great tips, thank you, what a great idea to take buses through the suburbs so as to be able to walk around the cities and enjoy the history & architecture.

And yes, indeed there is no harm in repeating the good advice and I need to repeat the good postures that I'm trying to learn, everyday. Thanks for your goof wishes! 😊

I too have bad knees. They told me in 2005 I needed 2 new ones but I ignored them and made them try gel injections and a steroid shot. I’m going to start Camino #4 in Porto in May on those same original knees and I’m 70. Poles will be your best friend and I used pack transport. I think the Frances is doable if you go at your pace. I did part of the Norte last year and my knees hated me. Which ever you pick just go at your own pace and there are other ways to get from place to place along the way. I took a bus and a cab, ride a horse up a hill and took a horse cart across a stretch of the Meseta. Buen Camino

What a great mixture of transport options appear to be open to us, aren't we so lucky these days? I'm sorry to hear that you have bad knees too however you certainly seem to making extremely good use of them ;) This is very encouraging!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for the tip RJM and I'm sorry to hear that you also have a banjaxed knee.

Sending my pack ahead does seem like a sensible thing to do, at least for the first week or so until I get my feet under me. I must look into this a little more and learn about the services available, I'm sure that I can use the search button to learn about them.
There are members on here who are far more experienced in the pack transport services than I am and I am sure they can give you better tips from personal experience. There may even be a specific thread section on here devoted to it.

I second most all of the comments above. My knees have virtually no meniscus left. I am clinically obese, but otherwise healthy(ish)......

Beyond this, while on Camino there are a few ”legal cheats” you can use to accomplish your Camino.....

Plan to walk the Meseta, from about Fromista to just before Leon. It is the flattest part of the Camino Frances and is very scenic.

You cannot use transport during the last 100 kilometers on your Camino into Santiago. If you do so, you will not be eligible for a Compostela. Better to plan ahead to avoid frustration and disappointment.

Finally, build in time to take rest days, perhaps weekly, at a place amenable to this. If needed, you can take a ziplock and ask for ice (hielqs) at any bar or cafe. Wrap the bag in your hiking towel to avoid freeze burn.

Gosh @t2andreo thank you so much for both a great selection of information and encouragement, both are very much appreciated.

Everyone has been so supportive and offered lots of very sensible, practical advice that I will apply to truly make my camino my own.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Miriam, so good to see that you are about to set off. I have one dodgy knee. I had an injection on the last day of 2018. It is beginning to wear off, in my humble opinion. I am not surprised, I think it is a temporary solution when total banjax is not the case. You may not have the degree of dysfunction that warrants it, but f you do, and can fast-track getting an injection, it will make such a difference to your camino....

If you are up in Dublin any time before you head off and want to have a chat, or even have a phone call, just pm me. Equally, the Camino society is open from Thursday to Saturday, 10.30 till 3.30pm, and they can answer any questions you might have.
Otherwise, I agree with suggestions to get the bus, or blablacar, from Bilbao to Pamplona and set off from there. That being said, I would hate not starting from Roncesvalles, just because it is where I began the Camino Frances! Whatever, I wish you Buen Camino, and look forward to your posts along the way.

Thanks @kirkie, I didn't even know that there was a Camino Society in Dublin! I love your offer of meeting up before I go and if I get the chance to come up to Dublin before my trip I will be sure to get in touch 🥰

You know I've realised that the last few weeks have been the beginning of my own Camino as I began to reluctantly accept that I would not be able to walk over the Pyrenees. Another step taken was asking for help and gosh was I blessed with responses. I've gone from wondering if I was doing the right thing to becoming excited all over again and the planning now continues, without even having to buy a new guide book ;)

I hope your own banjaxed knee finds a solution that will enable you to have a Buen Camino this summer!

I think for you poles should be considered essential items of equipment. Combining these with bag transport, buses and good route selection will be your best bet.
Best of luck cobber,
Gerard.
Hi @gerardcarey, hopefully my new poles should be arriving any day now, even before my knee began attention seeking I was planning to use them, they have long been allies on the hills back when I was a regular hill walker. Thanks for the good wishes! :)

Portuguese Coastal......

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I second most all of the comments above. My knees have virtually no meniscus left. I am clinically obese, but otherwise healthy(ish).

I deal with my knackered knees on all six of my Caminos as follows:

Work with your doctor to develop a series of “tools” to work around your problem. These tools might include:

1.Knee braces, I wear two compression braces with an open patella. It really helps.

2.Oral pain medication that can be taken before starting in the morning and which lasts six hours so I can arrive at my destination,”. I take arthritis strength Tylenol (paracetamol) before starting each morning.

3. Analgesic ointment or cream to alleviate pain and swelling after walking, pre sleep, and again in the morning before “booting up.” Popular products available from pharmacists without prescription includes: Fisiocrem, Luxoben Forte, and the classic Voltaren. I get the best results from Luxoben,

4. Hiking sticks, TWO - NOT ONE. It makes a huge difference. Watch videos on You Tube on “how to use hiking poles...” It’s like swimming, riding a bike, or... once you learn you never forget. I use them. They become part of you, giving you four-paw drive...

5. Wear mid-height hiking boots for the added support. I wear Keen boots for the roomy toe box. There are MANY opinions on the Forum. But proper foot support affects the geometry of your legs, knees and hips.

6. Regardless of footwear, consider either prescription orthotic inserts or higher quality replacement insoles. Originally, I had prescription orthotics. Then I used Superfeet insoles (orange). I presently use Dr. Scholl’s gel insoles, based on a recommendation from s podiatrist in Spain.

Coordinate all the above, experience - based suggestions with your doctor(s).

Beyond this, while on Camino there are a few ”legal cheats” you can use to accomplish your Camino.

Many of us will call a taxi, or ride a bus into a city to avoid the industrial belts around the larger cities (Burgos & Leon).

If you plan to cover 25 km, but cannot do the last 6 - 7 km, go into a cafe / bar and ask them to call you a taxi to (town). It costs about €1 per km.

If there is a hill in front of you that, for medical reasons, you cannot do, use the same technique to get you either to the top, or to another place on your line of march.

Hope this helps.
Just butting here for a moment....re the last 100ks and using/not using transport. I Did in fact, have to catch a taxi one afternoon and a bus on another afternoon due to the severe pain in my back. But, I had walked a substantial amount of Ks. each morning and, also was able to get the two stamps which were required for each day. I received my Compostela and was quite happy to discuss my having not walked the entire 100+ks with the volunteer at the Pilgrim Centre. She was happy with my explanation and issued me a Compostela with no arguments.

Totally agreeing with Trude above!!! I get why people still consider the CF as a good option, I really do - it does have good support!

However - if you want to avoid hammering joints, then the Coastal Portugese from Porto is as good as it gets imo (ofc people can disagree 😀 - or have suggestions for routes I have not walked) and if you take the ferry from Caminha it is still fairly forgiving on joints. For the 1st 100km or so you could be walking on wooden boardwalks along the coast,, or on cobbles/road/path 1-3km inland. Entering Spanish Galicia it’s a mix of gravel/tarmac/paths.

It will not give you 6 weeks - maybe 10/20 days; depending on distances you prefer. The time you have left can be spent walking other routes, easy transport from Santiago - including sections of the CF - if that is what your heart decides.

There are some bumps/hills- but not bad compared to CF. Pics are from beg ofFeb this year.

Buen Camino, happy trails whatever you decide...

Attachments

• E994B4D6-2BD8-4C91-9202-F86FA0ECE93A.jpeg
    E994B4D6-2BD8-4C91-9202-F86FA0ECE93A.jpeg
    516.6 KB · Views: 6
Just butting here for a moment....re the last 100ks and using/not using transport. I Did in fact, have to catch a taxi one afternoon and a bus on another afternoon due to the severe pain in my back. But, I had walked a substantial amount of Ks. each morning and, also was able to get the two stamps which were required for each day. I received my Compostela and was quite happy to discuss my having not walked the entire 100+ks with the volunteer at the Pilgrim Centre. She was happy with my explanation and issued me a Compostela with no arguments.

It happens... However, it technically violated “the rules.” I do not like to encourage people to cut corners.

You had a good reason and worked to stay within the spirit of the rules. But for every person like you, there are several who will do the same to avoid walking even the last 100 km.

You realize this when you see several ”pilgrims” exit a car, pull their mochilas from the trunk / boot, and proceed to get in the line for a Compostela. I see several such situations each summer when I am there.

I always point them out to management so they can be questioned at greater length. The ONLY viable rationale is that they arrived yesterday and waited to come to the office... Okay, prove it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Portuguese Coastal......
:)Hi @Trude, thanks for throwing another route into the ring. I'm curious why you suggest this route? Have you walked it or heard from others? I do actually have a smattering of Portuguese and I love Portugal so now you have me thinking... Hmm...

Hi @susanawee, I'm unsure whether I will queue up for a Compostela, I'm going to allow that to thought some time and space as I walk, however what you've offered is an interesting insight into your own experience, thanks :)

Totally agreeing with Trude above!!! I get why people still consider the CF as a good option, I really do - it does have good support!

However - if you want to avoid hammering joints, then the Coastal Portugese from Porto is as good as it gets imo (ofc people can disagree 😀 - or have suggestions for routes I have not walked) and if you take the ferry from Caminha it is still fairly forgiving on joints. For the 1st 100km or so you could be walking on wooden boardwalks along the coast, or on cobbles/road/path 1-3km inland. Entering Spanish Galicia it’s a mix of gravel/tarmac/paths.

It will not give you 6 weeks - maybe 10/20 days; depending on distances you prefer. The time you have left can be spent walking other routes, easy transport from Santiago - including sections of the CF - if that is what your heart decides.

There are some bumps/hills- but not bad compared to CF. Pics are from beg ofFeb this year.

Buen Camino, happy trails whatever you decide...

Now then, a second vote for the coastal Portuguese route! Any more takers?

Another benefit of the coastal Portuguese that has not yet been mentioned and is vitally important is, of course, the availability of pastel de nata as a nutritional fuel beyond compare 🥮

Thanks for the photos @bokormen91, this is indeed food for thought ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
:)Hi @Trude, thanks for throwing another route into the ring. I'm curious why you suggest this route? Have you walked it or heard from others? I do actually have a smattering of Portuguese and I love Portugal so now you have me thinking... Hmm...
I have walked it and find it the easiest route. Relatively flat with a few cobblestones being the downside. Lovely places to have coffee opposite the ocean. Good Albergues. If you have fragile knees the coastal Portuguese is the least amount of climbs and descents in my opinion. Buen Camino you will love it what ever route you chose.

I'm very grateful to everyone who offered some advice/ideas on how to proceed, especially for all the encouragement and support - my knees and I thank you! 🥰

After pondering both the Portuguese coastal route and a shortened Frances route for the last few days I have finally settled on beginning in Burgos. I'll miss some serious looking ups and downs between there and Pamplona and have the Meseta ahead to get into my stride.

Aer lingus will get me to BIlboa and it looks like getting from Bilboa to Burgos is easy enough - here's the bus link if anyone else is thinking of doing something similar: Bus schedule from Bilboa bus terminus to Burgos

Most likely I will take advantage of a bag carrying service for the first few days so as to allow my body to adjust and then see how it goes. I was thinking of keeping my backpack to carry water, food, poncho ect and send my sleeping gear and clothing in a large laundry bag ahead of me, This way I will become used to carrying my pack with less weight and so more easily judge how I'm doing.

Also I will take the advice to bus it into Leon and use my feet to explore the city rather the suburbs. From other posts that I've read it seems that some people also prefer to bus out of Leon as far as La Virgen? What are your thoughts on this?

My walking poles should be with me very soon and I look forward to etting into the habit of being 'four wheel drive' ;) My new injini socks have arrived and I've started to wear them in the trail shoes I'll be taking with me carrying my almost empty pack as a soft approach to trainging. Physio is ongoing and hopefully will teach me to better support my knees and build some muscle to counteract my current sedentary job.

Once I've booked my flight I'll post my walk to the calendar, I'm very much looking forward to having a firm start date ☺

And perhaps next year I'll start from SJdPP and take this interesting detour when I reach Burgos:

Route walking guide to the Camino Olav

Most read last week in this forum

..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back