• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which iPhone app?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For navigating/gps I use the guthooks app. It was developed for through hikers on different trails around the world. It shows the actual trail, where to find water and services and such. You can see elevation gains ahead and all sort of other trail details. While the Camino is well marked (Frances anyway) - there were times when it wasn't and guthooks never failed to show me the way back to where I need to be. For the most up to date information on albergues - the best is the webpage gronze.com which is in Spanish, but you can have your phone or computer translate it to other languages. It shows what albergues are actually open and specific details about the albergue. Now Camino apps? There are many - and I bounce back and forth through them depending on my mood haha.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
FarOut app's French Camino map is $15 AUD (in Australia), but it gives a free demo for navigating from SJPdP to Pamplona, which will give me enough time to test it out and see if it is worth paying for!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
FWIW, The Wise Pilgrim Apps are continuously being updated with new content. I am proud to say that they were the first from the camino, and grateful to the pilgrim community that they continue to exist.

I am giving them a fresh update for the Spring at this very moment, and they will appear next week in the app stores.

FWIW, The Wise Pilgrim Apps are continuously being updated with new content. I am proud to say that they were the first from the camino, and grateful to the pilgrim community that they continue to exist.

I am giving them a fresh update for the Spring at this very moment, and they will appear next week in the app stores.
Glad to hear that. Can you inform here when it is ready?

Edit: I am unsure if updates are included when buying it...

I use the Wise Pilgrim app (several) also for planning at home, getting booking info on the ground, etc. I find it very helpful and intuitive. Thanks for the good work!

FarOut app's French Camino map is $15 AUD (in Australia), but it gives a free demo for navigating from SJPdP to Pamplona, which will give me enough time to test it out and see if it is worth paying for!
For backcountry wilderness hikes it is a must. For something like the Camino it is a luxury app. You can certainly do some Camino routes without a GPS at all if you want to. Or rely on the normal GPS apps on your phone. But FarOut/Guthook can also be a lifesaver in some circumstances (again, moreso on wilderness hikes). There were a few times I forgot to refill my water or drank more water than I thought - and it directed me to the next water source. And the directions for finding services are very handy. You can also have it track your location which is nice to show others where you were and what you did on each day of your hike, it is a nice way to supplement your pilgrims passport/stamp record of your journey. I also ended up not using any of the apps to read ahead regarding the days path - instead I used guthooks when I wanted to see how much further incline, how far I am from a town, and if I reached a fork in the road where I could take 2 paths - I pulled it out to see which I wanted to take. Anyway - if you are on a budget you can certainly skip it. But I had the app for other hikes and really enjoy using it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Nice! I look forward to seeing the updates!

Glad to hear that. Can you inform here when it is ready?

Edit: I am unsure if updates are included when buying it...

I use the Wise Pilgrim app (several) also for planning at home, getting booking info on the ground, etc. I find it very helpful and intuitive. Thanks for the good work!
Indeed, all future updates are included. I am pretty sure this is the case will all apps, once you have it you have it. In-app purchases work differently, but mine don't use them.

Indeed, all future updates are included. I am pretty sure this is the case will all apps, once you have it you have it. In-app purchases work differently, but mine don't use them.
Very generous, indeed! Will your apps download automatically to my iPhone, or do I need to take action? I am setting out for CF on March 29th.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very generous, indeed! Will your apps download automatically to my iPhone, or do I need to take action? I am setting out for CF on March 29th.
The updates are automatic... IF you have that set on your iPhone. Otherwise you need to manually update them from the App Store. I imagine that most users have automatic updates set.

Thrilled to hear this! Leaving in 3 weeks for the Norte with my full suite of wp apps -just in case I decide to change how I end the walk. Thank you for your work.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
See Alex we have to meet and walk one day I was going to ask the very Wise Pilgrim the same question. Then there you are asking it for me!!!!!
It is true, Great minds do think alike!

Which iPhone app is best for navigation and up-to-date Albergue info, for the French Camino?
Download them all it never hurts to have a full variety of options on where you can lay your head at night. Especially last year during Covid on the VDLP I used Wise Pilgrim, Buen Camino and Gronze to find a place to stay.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I use Buen Camino while my wife utilizes Wise Pilgrim - different strokes for different folks! All seem to have pros/cons.
I am single, so I carry both of those myself. I agree pros and cons. So I double check between them every now and then.

Just realized this thread is a year old. I forget the years these days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back