• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which is the harder hike in April?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't think that the difference in hardness is big. Probably the Le Puy routes winst. An important difference in sociale hardness is that the common language in Spain will most probably be english on the Le Puyroute it will be french. The great majority of walkers will be french

Many thanks! By harder, I meant the steepness and distances of the stages. The primitivo for me was a bit difficult in spots. Is the Le Puy route to Conques as steep?

My French is just a little bit better than my Spanish, but both are very limited.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Many thanks! By harder, I meant the steepness and distances of the stages. The primitivo for me was a bit difficult in spots. Is the Le Puy route to Conques as steep?
I have walked both and prior to walking the Le Puy to Auvillar, I had the same question (and fear) at the time, wondering if the terrain was going to be more difficult than the Primitivo. Although very different routes in many ways, I felt that one was not noticably more difficult than the other. I am willing to put up with more of a struggle in climbing/steepness when the trade-off of the beauty surrounding me is stunning. For me that's always been worth the extra push I needed. I'm glad I didn't let prior fear dissuade me and if you decide to go, you will love the Le Puy!

I have walked both and prior to walking the Le Puy to Auvillar, I had the same question (and fear) at the time, wondering if the terrain was going to be more difficult than the Primitivo. Although very different routes in many ways, I felt that one was not noticably more difficult than the other. I am willing to put up with more of a struggle in climbing/steepness when the trade-off of the beauty surrounding me is stunning. For me that's always been worth the extra push I needed. I'm glad I didn't let prior fear dissuade me and if you decide to go, you will love the Le Puy!
Thank you so much. You have really nailed my question. I have my airline ticket and now just need to get past the fear of steeps. I'm not concerned too much about the weather, as I expect anything and everything in April.

I agree with @Camino Chrissy The Le Puy route is wonderful. And as @Antonius Vaessen says, many walkers will be French. Walking a camino in France is in some ways very different to walking in Spain - which, in my mind, is a worthwhile challenge and adventure in itself.

The Le Puy Way in 2014 was my third Camino after twice on the Frances. The first few days I found a little disorienting - it was so different to my earlier caminos. I wondered if I had made an error in not walking once again in Spain. But once I let go of those thoughts, I became lost in the beauty of the path and came to appreciate the way of the French gites. If you can embrace the differences, rather than compare - I suspect you will find, like many others have done, that the Le Puy Way is a wonderful experience. Irrespective of any language barriers, the French people are kind and generous hosts. And the food ... It remains one of my favourite caminos, albeit among many favourites!

And, more relevant to your question - the terrain between Le Puy and Conques is physically challenging - but worth the effort. Bon chemin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back