• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which route to choose in terms of asphalt/roads?

KariannNor

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances/Finestere 2023, 2024 ?
I read and look at maps, still can't decide on a route from Porto (and haven't left out Nortre totally either).. Got a bit of a shock at all the asphalt and cobblestones in youtube clips. So, I'll let it decide, where (possible combo) can I expect the least asphalt/cars/traffic? Is it "enough" to take the metro/bus out of Porto in CR to avoid roads, or is there a lot of asphalt in/out everywhere on the route? Is it the case that Portuguese has the most asphalt roads, and Nortre, for example, the most wild nature? (sea/nature/hills are not attractive to me, so I guess Nortre is not my first choise this time). I have no romantic idea that the Camino is only in soft woods, just to have said that. But my body and legs are a little afraid of hours and hours on hard ground and not very pleasant to walk in car traffic either. Thanks for answers :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
CF har også vært planen min hele tiden, men jeg hører panikkhistorier om folk som står i kø og kjemper om sengene... pluss direktefly til Porto fra Oslo..

Last edited:
I see now there are direct flights to Madrid too, didn't know, so thats not an argument ... arrrg, now you made me doubt.. ;-) I'm not afraid of seeing people at all, but I've seen reports from the last part from Sarria where you literally queue nowadays..

CF har også vært planen min hele tiden, men jeg hører panikkhistorier om folk som står i kø og kjemper om sengene... pluss direktefly til Porto fra Oslo..
English, please, even if we're both Norwegians: Others may learn from this... :)

IMHO, all the noise about overpopulation was created by the combination of a weekend holiday, many unexperienced firsttimers, and forward panic booking. It seems to have calmed down weeks ago.

A big problem was also that many tried to book with websites like booking.com, and not understanding that such sites have only a limited no. of beds each place in their offerings. So though it seemed that many places were full, they were not. But panic broke loose...

Experienced pilgrims would stay in-betwwen popular stops in the guidebooks, start earlier and end the days earlier, stay in albergues that don't take reservations (like many municipales/donativos). No stress.

Buen Camino!

Edit: The best way to reserve a bed is to call the place: They alone know if they have a bed for you! You can even get a better price, bc. they have to pay a 15% (?) booking fee to the booking companies.

Of course, that may take a little laguange skill on your part... So start learning some basic Spanish phrases right now: It will be good for you as well as for the Spaniards who are desperately trying to understand what you really want and mean... :cool:

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
English, please... :)

IMHO, all the noise about overpopulation was created by the combination of a weekend holiday, many unexperienced firsttimers, and forward panic booking. It seems to have calmed down weeks ago.

A big problem was also that many tried to book with websites like booking.com, and not understanding that such sites have only a limited no. of beds in their offering. So though it seemed that many places were full, they were not. But panic broke loose...

Experienced pilgrims would stay in-betwwen popular stops in the guidebooks, start earlier and end the days earlier, stay in albergues that don't take reservations (like many municipales/donativos). No stress.

Buen Camino!
Hmm, I've also heard so, but also that September is peak season.. hmm.. some serious thinking to do..

I would take a flight to Barcelona, taxi to the railway station Sants, a train to Pamplona, and walk from there next morning. From Oslo, you can do all your traveling in one day. Been there, done that. Several times.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would take a flight to Barcelona, taxi to the railway station Sants, a train to Pamplona, and walk from there next morning. From Oslo, you can do all your traveling in one day. Been there, done that. Several times.
Maybe I'll do something like that, except I'll start closer to SC. I want more days where I can take it easy if I want (refuse to walk in torrential rain when I have time off for example ;-) seems to be 3.5 weeks.

Maybe I'll do something like that, except I'll start closer to SC. I want more days where I can take it easy if I want (refuse to walk in torrential rain when I have time off for example ;-) seems to be 3.5 weeks.
The decision to go is the most important thing for me, no need to stress about the correct route yet. So fun to see Kittelsen in your picture 😍

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Norwegian has flights to both Barcelona and Madrid. Both are good landings sites for bus/train to where you want to start. If you are 60+ of age, you can buy a discount card which will give you 25% discount on all train travel for a whole year: I cost only 6 Euros.

I have never understood the stress of going to SJPdP for the start... Done it once - nothing special, for me at least. I prefer Pamplona.

For general travel planning, you can play with:

www.rometorio.com

For planning your walk, you can play with this toy:

Spanish, but there is a button upper right for translation.

Last edited:
Norwegian has flights to both Barcelona and Madrid. Both are good landings sites for bus/train to where you want to start. If you are 60+ of age, you ban buy a discount card which will give you 25% discount on all train travel for a whole year: I cost only 6 Euros.

I have never understood the stress of going to SJPdP for the start... Done it once - nothing special, for me at least. I prefer Pamplona.

For general travel planning, you can play with:

www.rometorio.com

For planning your walk, you can play with this toy:

Spanish, but there is a button upper right for translation.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks, that was very informative and reassuring! Am quite confused really, want to both make a plan and also be free to be impulsive. Fortunately, a lot of time to think and no stress, but would also like to have a circa plan, like to read about places to visit etc.. The idea has always been to finish in Santiago, only taking parts will not be the same, At least that's what I think now. Going CF, I also have to consider that, "the first" or "the last" or whatever.. Porto seems easier that way.

Well, you started this thread with a question about most comfortable walk... Now it's about most comfortable flight/starting point... :) I can assure you: Walking on Portuguise cobblestones will not make your feet feel happy.

My feet are tough, but the cobblestones were tougher than me... It was painful and tiring at times. Just my opinion and experience, I'll take the CF anytime in stead. However, the CP was a nice experience. I will not do it again, though.

Rethink... :cool:

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
1. Don't be afraid.
2. The cobblestones on the CP are a very real thing. Wear boots with sturdy soles, not lightweight, flexible "trainers."
3. You are never really walking in "car traffic," although I'm not sure what you mean by that phrase. The Caminos all go through cities, towns and villages, fields and woods, muddy cowpaths and industrial complexes.

Whichever route you go, it will be challenging. If you are changing your plans because of fear, please deeply consider why you want to walk in the first place. This isn't just a hike. Parts of it will be difficult at any time of year. Parts will be glorious and life-changing.

Are you up to the struggle or are you not?

Buen Camino, whatever you choose!

PS - Remember, for a thousand years, millions of pilgrims - much less prepared and equipped than you - have made it from beginning to end, and back again.

IMG_1750.jpeg
This is an example of three out of the five different “pavings” you will run into on the CP…big rocks, sett stones, asphalt, concrete, dirt. I would recommend leaving the Cathedral in Porto by going down the stairs by the old jail and head to the river. Walk the coastal route from there until you are well pass Porto. You will avoid the cars and a lot of the aggravation of an industrial/traffic area. After that head back to the central route. You’ll be good until you hit the larger cities-Pontevedra, Tui, Padron, and the outskirts of Santiago. I hope this information helps and pray you have a wonderful Camino.

English, please, even if we're both Norwegians: Others may learn from this... :)

A big problem was also that many tried to book with websites like booking.com, and not understanding that such sites have only a limited no. of beds each place in their offerings. So though it seemed that many places were full, they were not. But panic broke loose...

Buen Camino!

Edit: The best way to reserve a bed is to call the place: They alone know if they have a bed for you! You can even get a better price, bc. they have to pay a 15% (?) booking fee to the booking companies.

Of course, that may take a little laguange skill on your part... So start learning some basic Spanish phrases right now: It will be good for you as well as for the Spaniards who are desperately trying to understand what you really want and mean... :cool:
Alex this should be the standard answer. You succently hit the nail on the head. Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The cobblestones on the CP are a very real thing. Wear boots with sturdy soles, not lightweight, flexible "trainers.
I do not think this is a completely accurate statement For some wearing boots may be the answer. For others like myself it would be the worst advice possible. I walked and having walked many caminos and spoken to many pilgrims that walking in trail runners were just fine on the Central Portugues. For many people, like myself walking long distances in boots is a formula for multiple blisters and big pain. Personally I think (and this is just my opinion) that what to wear is a personal choice and often people do choose incorrectly. Usually because of inexperience. I believe a much better way to express our opinion is to say that this is what has worked for me. Is it correct for you no one really knows. Yes cobblestones are a real thing, but it is also true for many that wearing lightweight, well cushioned and flexible trail runners can be the thing to do depending on the person. Heavier boots that have sturdy soles would do a number on my feet and none of those numbers would be very good. Walking 1,000 k or more like I do makes me want to have the lightest footwear I can find that works. Worn Brooks Cascadias for all my caminos and walked from Lisbon without a blister or a day of sore feet.

1. Don't be afraid.
2. The cobblestones on the CP are a very real thing. Wear boots with sturdy soles, not lightweight, flexible "trainers."
3. You are never really walking in "car traffic," although I'm not sure what you mean by that phrase. The Caminos all go through cities, towns and villages, fields and woods, muddy cowpaths and industrial complexes.

Whichever route you go, it will be challenging. If you are changing your plans because of fear, please deeply consider why you want to walk in the first place. This isn't just a hike. Parts of it will be difficult at any time of year. Parts will be glorious and life-changing.

Are you up to the struggle or are you not?

Buen Camino, whatever you choose!

PS - Remember, for a thousand years, millions of pilgrims - much less prepared and equipped than you - have made it from beginning to end, and back again.
Ha ha, this misunderstanding or "twist of words".. Afraid? Well, experience and education told me something about stress on feet/body, skeptical about hours and days on hard surfaces (therefore the expression "legs/body a little scared"). "Comfortable walk", "fear" and "up to the struggle", haha, sorry, can't help but laugh.. 😂
(FYI, other "new to Camino" may take offense being interpreted as "inexperienced" 😉

Last edited:
I read and look at maps, still can't decide on a route from Porto (and haven't left out Nortre totally either).. Got a bit of a shock at all the asphalt and cobblestones in youtube clips. So, I'll let it decide, where (possible combo) can I expect the least asphalt/cars/traffic? Is it "enough" to take the metro/bus out of Porto in CR to avoid roads, or is there a lot of asphalt in/out everywhere on the route? Is it the case that Portuguese has the most asphalt roads, and Nortre, for example, the most wild nature? (sea/nature/hills are not attractive to me, so I guess Nortre is not my first choise this time). I have no romantic idea that the Camino is only in soft woods, just to have said that. But my body and legs are a little afraid of hours and hours on hard ground and not very pleasant to walk in car traffic either. Thanks for answers :)
We are in Camangu right now on the Norte. A lot of road walking and pavement.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We are in Camangu right now on the Norte. A lot of road walking and pavement.
Hope it's not a big surprise for you then. The fact that there are pavements is good, walking along busy roads over long distances without it is definitely worse in my mind. Got a bit sceptical when I saw just that in a Youtube-clip.
Buen camino and have a safe journey.

My group of eight will be doing a short walk in July from Arcos to Tui. What kind of surfaces will we find along the way?

I do not think this is a completely accurate statement For some wearing boots may be the answer. For others like myself it would be the worst advice possible. I walked and having walked many caminos and spoken to many pilgrims that walking in trail runners were just fine on the Central Portugues. For many people, like myself walking long distances in boots is a formula for multiple blisters and big pain. Personally I think (and this is just my opinion) that what to wear is a personal choice and often people do choose incorrectly. Usually because of inexperience. I believe a much better way to express our opinion is to say that this is what has worked for me. Is it correct for you no one really knows. Yes cobblestones are a real thing, but it is also true for many that wearing lightweight, well cushioned and flexible trail runners can be the thing to do depending on the person. Heavier boots that have sturdy soles would do a number on my feet and none of those numbers would be very good. Walking 1,000 k or more like I do makes me want to have the lightest footwear I can find that works. Worn Brooks Cascadias for all my caminos and walked from Lisbon without a blister or a day of sore feet.
Of course, of course, one's footwear is a very personal thing. All advice given on this forum should be taken with the reminder that it is based on the experience of the writer.

When I walked the CP in October, the three people I walked with all complained bitterly about the cobblestones being felt through the soles of their trainers (and had the blisters and hot spots to prove it). I did not have that problem with my boots, nor did the person walking with us in his boots. These people were different ages, sizes, and abilities.

I suspect that, sometimes, people overlook the importance of good, cushiony, socks to go along with their good shoes/boots.

I'm truly glad your trainers don't give you blisters or other problems. My boots are not heavy and fit my feet like a glove (Merrell Moab Ventilators, if you're curious, in a men's size).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Of course, of course, one's footwear is a very personal thing. All advice given on this forum should be taken with the reminder that it is based on the experience of the writer.

When I walked the CP in October, the three people I walked with all complained bitterly about the cobblestones being felt through the soles of their trainers (and had the blisters and hot spots to prove it). I did not have that problem with my boots, nor did the person walking with us in his boots. These people were different ages, sizes, and abilities.

I suspect that, sometimes, people overlook the importance of good, cushiony, socks to go along with their good shoes/boots.

I'm truly glad your trainers don't give you blisters or other problems. My boots are not heavy and fit my feet like a glove (Merrell Moab Ventilators, if you're curious, in a men's size).
Thanks but I will stick with my Brooks Cascadia. We both agree that footwear is personal. The only reason that I wrote what I did was because of your wording that can be interpreted as a definitive statement:
Wear boots with sturdy soles, not lightweight, flexible "trainers."
This makes it seem that the only option a person has is boots. Maybe it is just my pet peeve that I have developed after being on the forum for a long time. People make statements all the time about this is the shoe to wear, A person who is probably young and an experienced hiker will tell someone that "oh, it is no problem doing such and such stage that is 30K. It was easy. Never knowing if the original poster is 20 or 70, if in great shape or is 30 pounds overweight or has some medical issue that hasn't been mentioned. I just think we should all be careful not to assume that what someone reads doesn't think it is just one person's opinion but is the definitive answer to a question. Especially when that person wants confirmation of a decision that they have made without the experience to back it up. Sorry for being long winded.

View attachment 147703
This is an example of three out of the five different “pavings” you will run into on the CP…big rocks, sett stones, asphalt, concrete, dirt. I would recommend leaving the Cathedral in Porto by going down the stairs by the old jail and head to the river. Walk the coastal route from there until you are well pass Porto. You will avoid the cars and a lot of the aggravation of an industrial/traffic area. After that head back to the central route. You’ll be good until you hit the larger cities-Pontevedra, Tui, Padron, and the outskirts of Santiago. I hope this information helps and pray you have a wonderful Camino.
Thanks for the photo and a very useful and accurate information about the road! :)

Thanks but I will stick with my Brooks Cascadia. We both agree that footwear is personal. The only reason that I wrote what I did was because of your wording that can be interpreted as a definitive statement:

This makes it seem that the only option a person has is boots. Maybe it is just my pet peeve that I have developed after being on the forum for a long time. People make statements all the time about this is the shoe to wear, A person who is probably young and an experienced hiker will tell someone that "oh, it is no problem doing such and such stage that is 30K. It was easy. Never knowing if the original poster is 20 or 70, if in great shape or is 30 pounds overweight or has some medical issue that hasn't been mentioned. I just think we should all be careful not to assume that what someone reads doesn't think it is just one person's opinion but is the definitive answer to a question. Especially when that person wants confirmation of a decision that they have made without the experience to back it up. Sorry for being long winded.
Couldn't agree more.. ;-)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For the curious "CF has also been my plan all along, but I hear panic stories about people queuing and fighting for the beds... plus direct flights to Porto from Oslo.."

The more recent reports from the CF are much less panic-stricken. That seems to have really been a product of early May.

That said, the Camino Portugues is a fine Camino in its own right. I'm not the best person to compare the amount of road walking/cobblestones between the two options, though, since I haven't walked them both.

Re: footwear

I did okay with my Merrell Moabs, and I think I still preferred them to hiking boots (although I admit I have not bought hiking boots recently and may not be up on the "state of the art" in hiking boots. When I tried Hoka One One Bondis after the Camino, I immediately wished I had worn them. It was like walking on clouds or marshmallows (clouds as we imagine them, not as they really are :) ).

Thanks, that was very informative and reassuring! Am quite confused really, want to both make a plan and also be free to be impulsive. Fortunately, a lot of time to think and no stress, but would also like to have a circa plan, like to read about places to visit etc.. The idea has always been to finish in Santiago, only taking parts will not be the same, At least that's what I think now. Going CF, I also have to consider that, "the first" or "the last" or whatever.. Porto seems easier that way.
I am also confused as to which route to take. I am planning to arrive in Bilbao October 13th and do a little train travel before starting my Spanish leg of the camino. I have some new time constraints and need to get to Santiago by the 26th of October so trying to decide best route to get a good experience a Camino with only 200 km and still be impulsive.

Well I read the question and then this thread seemed to go way off topic! I'm going to answer the original question. Of the options you're looking at, for least hard surfaces, take the Litoral route from Porto. Lots of boardwalks and opportunity to walk on sand. The other options, and especially the Norte have a lot of tarmac or cobbles. But they're all lovely interesting routes. Enjoy.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back