• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which to choose

Jean Russell

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Finisterre/Muxia 2016
In June I have time to walk to Santiago from either Ferrol or Ourense. I prefer less busy routes , scenic walking and the minimum of tarmac. I would appreciate comments from pilgrims who have walked these routes.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Jean. I walked the Inglés last April, really enjoyed it- fairly scenic, a little more tarmac than I prefer though. To be fair, mainly on quiet backroads.
The numbers of pilgrims on this route are definitely increasing, it’s currently being actively promoted.

I walked the CI some years ago, and the Sanabres from Ourense last year. There will always be some road walking, but I don't recall it being excessive on either route. The scenery on each is a little different - the Sanabres goes nowhere near the coast, obviously. At the times that I walked, both were relatively uncrowded, and there was never an issue finding accommodation.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have walked them both.

In June I have time to walk to Santiago from either Ferrol or Ourense. I prefer less busy routes , scenic walking and the minimum of tarmac.
In my experience the Sanabrés had fewer pilgrims and (IIRC) less road walking, so I would perhaps opt for that. The variant to Oseira on the first day out of Ourense is a good option and also a short day to start off with. If staying at the albergue attached to the monastery, attending vespers with the monks is a beautiful experience. Later on, I would opt for more rural stays if possible as towns like Silleda have facilities but are otherwise pretty uninteresting.

The variant to Oseira on the first day out of Ourense is a good option and also a short day to start off with.
I did this stretch in two days, first to Cea (~22.5 km from Ourense) the to Oreira (~8.5 km from Cea). Doing that in one day would have been too much for me.

I vote for Sanabres from Ourense. I haven’t walked from Ferol so can’t compare.
However, I absolutely loved this route when I walked a couple of years ago. Start with a few hours in the hot Springs at Ourense and exploration of the old town; a visit to the monastery in Oseira; days on the Galician tracks and trails with minimal road walking.
I remember thinking that this route will become incredibly popular in time. I thought it was wonderful.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back