• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Who Needs a Backpack When.....

renegadepilgrim

Veteran Pilgrim and Traveler
Time of past OR future Camino
2010: Camino Frances, 2011: Santo Domingo de la Calzada (Hospitalera), 2012: Camino Portuguese from Porto, 2015: Camino Norte
.....you have one of these!!!

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Expe ... cket.shtml

Seriously. I think it would be very possible to walk the Camino with this jacket and a pair of their cargo pants and be able to put whatever you would need in the pockets. I am thinking my next Camino, I might attempt this.

This company has some great gear. I just ordered a few things for just my usual traveling adventures and can't wait to see how it all works out. I even entered their "No Baggage Challenge" with the proposal to do the Camino using their clothing. They have some good entries, so I probably won't win, but I thought it was a great idea!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm thinking that "waterproof and breathable" part might not be such a good thing on a sunny day in July as you walk uphill with the pockets full.

Well, the old saying goes that a good countryman carries everything he needs in his pockets. Does it have a pocket big enough for the rucksack that I would need to carry it up hills in the Spanish summer?

Andy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wouldn't use this for a "middle of the summer" camino, but probably a spring or fall camino walk, when the weather is a little less predictable. I bet I could even get away with carrying just my Mountainsmith Lumbar Pack if I wore this jacket, and still keep my "pack" weight to about 5 to 6 kg or less. Obviously, I wouldn't be carrying the electrical items this jacket is designed to carry. :)

Jacket looks great . . . but . ... put everything in pockets??, whatever weight there is will be hanging off the shoulders. Advantage of a good pack . .. the waist belt ensures all the weight is supported by the hips. (Just IMHO)

I certainly get the need to cut down weight . . . but wherever you put things, in bum bag, backpack, in pockets or on your head . . .. the feet are still coping with the total weight!! I put so much in my trouser pockets, they go out of shape and fall down . . . then I need a belt.... more weight!!! :?

Next camino . . .. serious cut backs!! It WILL fit into my new Aarn 32 ltr body pack!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have found that I am far more comfortable wearing braces than a tight belt. Something to do with the rucksack rubbing on said belt I think, as well as wearing a 'money belt' as well. I find that a light webbing belt, along with supporting braces works well. It may be that I am getting older and my stomach does not like the restrictions imposed upon it!
At home I much prefer a body-warmer with all its pockets to a sweater. Where else can I keep my pocket knife, specs case, mobile phone, diary, wallet, computer memory stick . . . . Pack light? I am a walking emporium :lol:

Blessings on your packing
Terry

I actually entered their No Baggage Challenge Contest to see if they would sponsor me for a Camino walk....we will see if I win.

Good luck Renegadepilgrim . .. .. hope you win. Even so, I'd be glad to see if it's possible.

Maybe started a new camino fashion here!!!
Cheers Carole

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks....if the pilgrims from the Middle Ages walked with just a sack over their shoulder, why can't I walk with just the clothes on my back and a few strategically placed pockets??? :)

If any of you are on Facebook, you can go to the No Baggage Challenge page on there and vote for my video. I'm Heather N. (They misspelled my last name....)

CaroleH said:
Jacket looks great . . . but . ... put everything in pockets??, whatever weight there is will be hanging off the shoulders. Advantage of a good pack . .. the waist belt ensures all the weight is supported by the hips. (Just IMHO)

!!

I'm with you on that. I have a sleeveless oilskin vest with a heap of pockets that I wear camping in cooler weather. Oilskin is heavy anyway but when I fill the pockets with essentials (torch, knife, gloves, hat, tissues,phone, gps, lighter etc) it is heavy and the weight is on my shoulders. Maybe I am just a weakling..but I am a lot more comfortably going for even a day hike with all that and snacks and 2 litres of water in my small day pack if it's sitting on my hips rather than my shoulders. A big consideration over long distances.

It's a pleasing concept but not a practical one, I think. What do you do when the hostel-keeper demands you leave your pack in the foyer, as part of the anti-bedbug campaign?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Rebekah Scott said:
My jacket has only three pockets, but I still can never find any of the many things I put in them!
and this one has 37! 37! Brilliant .. unless it is hot of course ... one could always keep one pocket to keep a list of where everything is - if one could remember which pocket one put the list in of course ..

I think I may have found a better alternative ....

Attachments

• backpack dog.jpg
    backpack dog.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 906
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

In a quandry about whether to wear my hiking sandals or leather hiking boots on the Camino.
My daughter is coming with me and wondering if a 2-piece swimsuit is appropriate, or if she needs a 1-piece. Suggestions?
Hi everyone I'm really having problems with planning what to pack for my walk from SJPP during mid March. From what I understand the Napolean route will still be closed? And the big headache is...
I'm currently refining my packing list for the Camino Frances, starting in SJPDP on September 24, and walking through to the end of October/beginning of November. While I understand that the...
Any places to grab some before/during the Camino Frances? Don't think I'll be able to grab any in advance.
I will be finishing the first half of the Norte in about 3 days and then transferring to the Primitivo. I have a couple of blisters that my hiking boots just seemed to keep rubbing on and I think...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.