• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Why Walking Helps Us Think"

jayree

Time of past OR future Camino
CdS 2012, CdN 2013, Shikoku 2015, CP 2016.
Interesting observations by Ferris Jabr in The New Yorker.

"When we go for a walk, the heart pumps faster, circulating more blood and oxygen not just to the muscles but to all the organs—including the brain. Many experiments have shown that after or during exercise, even very mild exertion, people perform better on tests of memory and attention. Walking on a regular basis also promotes new connections between brain cells, staves off the usual withering of brain tissue that comes with age, increases the volume of the hippocampus (a brain region crucial for memory), and elevates levels of molecules that both stimulate the growth of new neurons and transmit messages between them."

"Walking at our own pace creates an unadulterated feedback loop between the rhythm of our bodies and our mental state ... When we stroll, the pace of our feet naturally vacillates with our moods and the cadence of our inner speech; at the same time, we can actively change the pace of our thoughts by deliberately walking more briskly or by slowing down.

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/walking-helps-us-think?src=mp

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have you ever noticed when the ambulance arrives and they must cross a field, a street or football pitch to get to the person in need...they walk the gurney. Even if folks are in a panic and cannot understand why they are taking their time...they approach with caution. Why?
The reasons are many, but here are a few:
1. As they approach they are actively looking for danger:
a. Down power lines
b. Outside threats to the victim and, possibly, themselves
c. The most direct, yet safe, way of approach (a gurney in a muddy field may never arrive)
d. Observe the victim and assess the immediate need for additional and critical support...more EMTs, Angel Flight Helo, police, etc.
The WALK opens their eyes, calms their person and prepares them for action.
When you rush along the Camino, or any walkway, speed is not your friend. The brain is cataloging "normal".
If you live back home with bulls that know you, there's a good chance they will not pose a threat.
If you rush past a bull on the Camino, your brain may not immediately register "danger" leading to an less than happy result.
Buen "walking slowly" Camino,
Arn

Have you ever noticed when the ambulance arrives and they must cross a field, a street or football pitch to get to the person in need...they walk the gurney. Even if folks are in a panic and cannot understand why they are taking their time...they approach with caution. Why?
The reasons are many, but here are a few:
1. As they approach they are actively looking for danger:
a. Down power lines
b. Outside threats to the victim and, possibly, themselves
c. The most direct, yet safe, way of approach (a gurney in a muddy field may never arrive)
d. Observe the victim and assess the immediate need for additional and critical support...more EMTs, Angel Flight Helo, police, etc.
The WALK opens their eyes, calms their person and prepares them for action.
When you rush along the Camino, or any walkway, speed is not your friend. The brain is cataloging "normal".
If you live back home with bulls that know you, there's a good chance they will not pose a threat.
If you rush past a bull on the Camino, your brain may not immediately register "danger" leading to an less than happy result.
Buen "walking slowly" Camino,
Arn
Great insight, I have a tendency to do everything in a hurry. I must keep reminding myself that this is not a race, take my time enjoy were I am at that moment and just enjoy my surroundings. Live in the present not the future of we must get to the next Alberque so we don't miss out on a bed.
Buen Camino to me next week

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Does anyone have a favorite place to stay in arzua? Thanks for any suggestions!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back