• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wild Fire in Northern Spain?

Poppz

Hello All,

I'm looking for an update on the wildfires in Northern Spain. Here in the USA they are talking about all the fires on the Northern border of Spain / France. Is it or has it effected the Camino in anyway? Would appreciate an update. I'm heading out in 10 days.

Poppz

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi!

From what I've seen the fires are further east in Catalonia, so shouldn't affect the Camino Frances if starting in SJPP or nearby. Farmers sometimes burn out the drainage ditches by the side of the route along the way to keep them clear, but I think that usually happens in early spring and nothing to be concerned about.

Buen Camino!

There have been fires in various places over the last month; Catalunia, Alicante, Andalucia and Galicia (O Barco). Generally they are controlled reasonably quickly, the worst has been in the Canaries (La Gomera) this has been going on for days but, obviously, is nowhere near a camino. Fires are a relatively common occurence here, most are caused by man, either deliberately or by carelessness. It is forbidden to light fires during the summer months, and this includes in spots that look designed for BBQ's, there is also a lot of publicity about the careful discarding of cigarettes. at the moment there is no problem with walking any camino and I have not heard of fires along the routes, in any case you will be safe, if there were to be any danger the police and armed forces are quick to protect and advise. I have heard about fires in the US as well

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here in Colorado USA we have had over 20 wild fires this season. Many of them quite severe; many hundreds of homes lost and several lives lost as well.

I observed the Waldo Canyon fire across town from its beginning through to it's containment. And although it was only several miles away, apart from the smoke most of us were never in any danger. Those that were in danger were usually evacuated proactively.

So unless the fires in Spain are close by and very large there should be no safety issues. If they are then I would trust that those in charge would be evacuating areas and/or notifying pilgrims along the way of any issues.

Dave

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I've just removed a 'smiley face' off my previous post, I didn't mean to be flippant. These fires are always serious, there has been loss of life here too and much damage, both to property and the environment.

So unless the fires in Spain are close by and very large there should be no safety issues. If they are then I would trust that those in charge would be evacuating areas and/or notifying pilgrims along the way of any issues.

This is certainly the case, the loss of life has been, almost entirely, fire fighters, the authorities are well experienced in evacuating areas that are threatened.

Enjoy your camino poppz, as regards update, the only fire in the news today continues to be the fire in the Canary Islands.
Sue

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sue - sorry be a smart alec and I only know this because of a dreamed of winter camino but there is a Camino route in gran canaria:

John, I stand corrected, all I can say is ...Wow! Does it require a long swim?
But hey ... It's still a bit away from La Gomera :)
I suppose it is only marginally different from getting a boat from England to A Coruna, the dangers then would have been ship wrecks not forest fires! I bet that there weren't so many fires in those days either.
Sue

Hi Poppz
Update on forest fires:
10 small fires announced in Castilla and Leon this morning, one near Pedrafita. The temperatures are very high here at the moment, well they are for a Brit, but the Spanish seem to think so too. Temps up to 40 degrees C over most of Spain and low humidity but this will change in a few days, if there is one thing that can be guarunteed it is that the weather is changeable. Don't worry about fires but bring the sun cream!

and with flights from Santiago to Gran Canaria available these days it would be churlish not to go there in winter and walk a camino - don't you think?
John, I'll put it on my list :) There are just so many caminos. I must attempt to cross the Pyrenees before I get much older, ant there's the VdlP to finish... and the Ingles.. and the Invierno, &&&&
I suppose I could start in October and keep going till April, I could get a few in, but it would leave nothing to plan for the future :D
Sue

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In NZ we are getting reports of a fire near Torneros de Jamuz....that looks pretty close to Astorga! Any updates?

There have been lots of fires over the last week, all seem to be out now. The weather is cooling down a bit so there may be less but that isn't guarunteed.
There will be frequent fires over the month, I regularly sit at my window and watch smoke rising in various directions. Most fires are extinguished rapidly, planes and helicopters douse them, some take a bit longer.
The system and the authorities are well organised, you may well see smoke or hear planes but don't let this put you off the camino, areas are evacuated, if necessary, well before there is any danger.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back