• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Will there be others

Cailin O Eire

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked Sarria to Santiago Easter 2014
Hope to walk for 5 days from St Jean Pied De Port to wherever my feet bring me to first week of June 2016
I'll be walking out of St. Jean morning of 31st of May, from advice given on the forum I will probably be starting the walk for the long journey to Roncesvalle at 6:30am, is it going to be busy (other's)that time, will other pilgrims be setting off around then, for those who are there now was there others walking that early,I am feeling anxious of been alone on the path now, would like to think I would have other pilgrims in sight or to maybe walk with. I think I have spent too much time reading the crime on the camino posts!!
Thanks for any thoughts,
Yours
A pilgrim feeling anxious :-/

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do not worry...there will be alot of people around. Don't fret too much about the so called crime on the Camino. There are more than enough people on the Frances. To tell the truth on the Frances you will cherish the moments that you will be on your own for fifteen minutes.
And crime : I felt more unsafe on certain streets here in Brussels than I felt walking alone in Spain ( even when walking on the very lonely camino del Ebro ).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do not worry...there will be alot of people around. Don't fret too much about the so called crime on the Camino. There are more than enough people on the Frances. To tell the truth on the Frances you will cherish the moments that you will be on your own for fifteen minutes.
And crime : I felt more unsafe on certain streets here in Brussels than I felt walking alone in Spain ( even when walking on the very lonely camino del Ebro ).
Thank You Sabine, I had been really looking forward to this trip but as you said the talk of crime on the camino towards solo walkers as a consequence of Denise's disappearance has unnerved me. I need to live in the moment and stop worrying about what might never occur.

There will be people on the trail from 06.00 and even earlier, you will have plenty company, do not worry, just go and enjoy every step of your Camino.
Hi Wayfarer, that is good to know, I was in two minds about postponing my trip until I got a walking buddy after reading the newspaper article regarding Denise's disappearance and harassment cases. I don't want to give into fear though. Okay I need to refocus for sure. Just to pick your brain actually I play gaa train twice weekly and am kinda using that training as my camino training, due to time constraints. Surely that level of fitness will be enough to get me over the first day, which I hear is one of the toughest. I will break in the shoes a bit more but as for long treks it's not possible at this stage.
Thanks for been available to answer these questions so often.
Thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
W
If you play GAA twice a week you will ace it no worries.
We met an eighty two year old Japanese pilgrim with a prosthesis from above his knee and hard as we tried we could not keep up. It was his third Camino, we were a young fifty eight and sixty at the time. :)
Wow, some peoples limits are limitless. Amazing.
Hope to wake tomorrow with the excitement rekindling please God!
Thanks

If for some unlikely reason you don't see a group at first simply delay a minute on the bridge. You will be welcome in nearly every group.
The same will hold true at Orisson. Just attach to a group that is going on.

This is all very normal.
Thanks for that, it is a good idea, it is an idea that I will likely put into practice.
Thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We all understand your nervousness given the recent reports.

We are trying to pass on a little calm for those ladies who are now walking. We do not underestimate how this can lower your sense of well being.

The Camino has always been a very safe place for everyone. It still is.
Take advantage of your new Pilgrim Friends and enjoy the adventure.

I forgot to add that a picture on the bridge leaving St. Jean is pretty much a mandatory part of your Camino photos....so you have to wait for someone to take it for you anyway. :cool:
Very good a good reason to not look like I'm loitering suspiciously on the bridge. Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am the father of a 16 y/o daughter, whom I have had the privilege of walking with, from SJPP to Santiago twice.

Should she wish to walk tomorrow on her own I would have no worries.

Why? Because on the Camino you are rarely alone. Pilgrim Friends.

Donal

You will be walking to Roncesvalles the same day I will be walking from Orrison to Roncesvalles. I will look for you and you can walk with me. You will be faster and catch me without a doubt. I am a 6ft platinum blonde, short, short hair. We can walk together into Roncesvalles, no worries.

No worries. There will be many fellow pilgrims walking and you will see them all day.
The walk to Roncesvalles is not that bad. Since you play sports on a regular basis you will have no problems. Just take your time and get a feel for it. Also get some snacks to carry with you that first day and maybe some extra water. Not many options until you get to Roncesvalles.
cheers

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No worries. There will be many fellow pilgrims walking and you will see them all day.
The walk to Roncesvalles is not that bad. Since you play sports on a regular basis you will have no problems. Just take your time and get a feel for it. Also get some snacks to carry with you that first day and maybe some extra water. Not many options until you get to Roncesvalles.
cheers

Those snacks saved me. There is a great little grocery store on the street leading out of SJPP before you get to the bridge.

You can also fill up on water at Honto and Orrison, as well as purchase snacks there.

And may I say it is really nice of Cabigred to offer to walk with you. I wish you both a buen camino.

All these replies to Cailin's legitimate and understandable concerns are very comforting to those of us women planning to walk the Camino solo. I'm walking in September and October, and I haven't had any worries at all until now. The thing is, one can know in one's head that incidents like the one we're all so focused on are incredibly rare, that the Camino is safer than most cities in the U.S., that we solo women just need to exercise the same precautions that we would anywhere, but our hearts are shaken by all the unknowns now. I think it will all settle out soon and that we'll regain our calm and composure and response to the call of the Camino. But for the moment, we're shaken, and all of these wonderful reassurances from those who know the Camino are very comforting and welcome. Thank you!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
All these replies to Cailin's legitimate and understandable concerns are very comforting to those of us women planning to walk the Camino solo. I'm walking in September and October, and I haven't had any worries at all until now. The thing is, one can know in one's head that incidents like the one we're all so focused on are incredibly rare, that the Camino is safer than most cities in the U.S., that we solo women just need to exercise the same precautions that we would anywhere, but our hearts are shaken by all the unknowns now. I think it will all settle out soon and that we'll regain our calm and composure and response to the call of the Camino. But for the moment, we're shaken, and all of these wonderful reassurances from those who know the Camino are very comforting and welcome. Thank you!
Greetings, has there been any update on this missing Lady? news about it seems a bit vague. safety on the Camino is the concern of all that is why we should always attempt to leave in the early morning hours with someone.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do we need to start viewing the Camino more as a part of regular life rather than a rarefied atmosphere where we are inherently safe?
Yes exactly. As a prospective solo peregrina, I have read many, many posts on this forum by others like me asking for reassurance. Don't we all really know that of course the Camino is part of regular life. The risks a woman takes in walking alone on the Camino may be relatively slight. But inherently safe? I wish.

Well i'm starting out on May 16th or i'd walk with you. Seems like very diverse people constantly on it... so much so i'm not sure how you could even get away with crime.

Part of the pressure of perceived fear is excitement, take that and make it positive. :)

Buen Camino.

I forgot to add that a picture on the bridge leaving St. Jean is pretty much a mandatory part of your Camino photos....so you have to wait for someone to take it for you anyway. :cool:
It is? Boy. I didn't know that. One more reason to have to go back.

Bear in mind that Astorga if a very long way from ST. Jean.
Please don't let worry ruin your start.
Just take some of the precautions discussed here and have fun....a hard first day work out...but fun. :)
grayland says it very well...not to obsess, but please do not leave your common sense at home...and have a very buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Camino Frances 3 years ago. I walked with many people(of different nationalities) and if I was on my own there was always somebody in the distance either in front or behind me. I was also worried that I would not be fit enough. But I made it to Santiago and on to Finesterre and Muxia. I took it a day at the time, told myself I can go home if it does not work out. I wait for daylight to start walking basically to see where I am going. I would also recommend plenty of stretching of quads and achilles tendons each evening. Nice stop before the Spanish border a guy with a caravan selling drinks and snacks. He also keeps count of the different nationalities passing through.
Buen camino /Sli iontach dhuit
Ciarrai abu
Maura

Last edited:
I just drove from Biarritz to Pamplona and return on 1 and 2 may 2015. From the number of pilgrims I saw in SJPdP, Pamplona and all along the way in between, you are not going to be alone for more than 2 or 3 minutes. It might as well be a conga line!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I started in Auxerre very early last month. Between walking and a few buses/train hops, I got to Le Puy-en-Velay via Vezelay and the Morvan with no hitches. I was camping most nights and saw fewer than ten other pilgrims along the GR13 and 131. Most of them were taking the Via Lemovicensis or Le Chemin d'Assise. The people living along the route have been incredibly kind and helpful, even giving me a lift to a pharmacy when I caught a mild case of the flu.

At Le Puy I decided to take the train to SJPdP and forego the Via Podensis this time (my knee was giving me some warning signals on descents). I am now in Pamplona and have had to TRY to walk alone (walking to Valcarlos via Arneguy and Ondarolle, for instance). It's pretty much almost impossible. :)

Last edited:
I
You will be walking to Roncesvalles the same day I will be walking from Orrison to Roncesvalles. I will look for you and you can walk with me. You will be faster and catch me without a doubt. I am a 6ft platinum blonde, short, short hair. We can walk together into Roncesvalles, no worries.
thank you so very much for such a kind offer, I will keep my eye out for you from when I pass Orrison. I feel much more relaxed today about it all, I think I was a bit over whelmed after reading the article Falcon posted on the 'I think my sister is missing thread'. Feeling much more positive and thank god the excitement is rekindling. Hope to see you on the way :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Trust me the Spanish authorities would like to see this thing cleared up sooner than all the pilgrims would. The Camino is a national heritage for their country. The situation with the missing pilgrim is what it is and people posting personal opinions and hypotheses are only agitating everyones nerves. I wish people would stop posting comments on that thread unless their information can actually contribute to the search!

Last edited:
I am lucky in that this is my second Camino attempt. My first one (which effectively ended with a bad slip descending the Alto del Perdon---watch out for the round rocks underfoot!) taught me that most pilgrims and local people are willing to go out of their way (literally, in my case) to help other pilgrims. I was nervous before I started, though!

You will be awash with fellow pilgrims, believe me; and despite how annoying we can be to one another (snoring, the occasional late partying group, the predawn headlamp brigade) there is something about the Camino that brings out some real goodness and generosity of spirit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I still hope they find her safe and sound. Despite the issue of "more heat than light" that we humans fall into when discussing news, it's still frightening. We women are often raised to be hyper-vigilant, and not always without reason. So I can understand Cailin's concern, here.

Hi Wayfarer, that is good to know, I was in two minds about postponing my trip until I got a walking buddy after reading the newspaper article regarding Denise's disappearance and harassment cases. I don't want to give into fear though. Okay I need to refocus for sure. Just to pick your brain actually I play gaa train twice weekly and am kinda using that training as my camino training, due to time constraints. Surely that level of fitness will be enough to get me over the first day, which I hear is one of the toughest. I will break in the shoes a bit more but as for long treks it's not possible at this stage.
Thanks for been available to answer these questions so often.
Thank you
The Camino is no more dangerous today than a month ago, or last year. A plane crash does not make flying unsafe. Always when traveling alone (anywhere) it is wise to hook up with a traveling group. This is easily done on the Camino Frances, in fact hard to avoid.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I'll be walking out of St. Jean morning of 31st of May, from advice given on the forum I will probably be starting the walk for the long journey to Roncesvalle at 6:30am, is it going to be busy (other's)that time, will other pilgrims be setting off around then, for those who are there now was there others walking that early,I am feeling anxious of been alone on the path now, would like to think I would have other pilgrims in sight or to maybe walk with. I think I have spent too much time reading the crime on the camino posts!!
Thanks for any thoughts,
Yours
A pilgrim feeling anxious :

Hi Cailin – all the comments are valid – you should have no problem - in Sept 2013 I started in SJPP about 8.00 am – walked at a steady comfortable pace – it took me about 7 hours to get to Roncesvalles – lots of other pilgrims around – just take advice on the weather & bring some food

Have a great time

I just drove from Biarritz to Pamplona and return on 1 and 2 may 2015. From the number of pilgrims I saw in SJPdP, Pamplona and all along the way in between, you are not going to be alone for more than 2 or 3 minutes. It might as well be a conga line!
@biarritzdon did you stop by "The Abbey?"

I was feeling some of the same apprehensions for the last few days but I feel much better after reading the replies that have been written. I also read the beautiful "Peregrino Why Do You Weep" on another post and know that walking the camino is exactly what I have in my heart to do. see you on the path ☺️

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I was feeling some of the same apprehensions for the last few days but I feel much better after reading the replies that have been written. I also read the beautiful "Peregrino Why Do You Weep" on another post and know that walking the camino is exactly what I have in my heart to do. see you on the path ☺️
Yes me too, so glad I asked the questions. I now feel the excitement that had been there returning. 4 weeks today the countdown is on :)
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for any thoughts,
Yours
Though my husband and I are walking the Camino together, we've met lots of Pilgrims doing it alone - both male and female. There's such a wonderful spirit on the Camino - you become instant family. I'm very sad that Arizona is missing ... But we've seen nothing but warmth and friendship. You'll do great! Ning

Unfortunately because of whatever way I have my settings set, I get emails letting me know of activity on my watched threads, regardless of whether the moderator has the comments deleted I get to read the email which usually contains the comment. Pity when the content of theses comments is eligible for deleting there's not a way to not receive the email allowing me to read the comment, if I'm making any sense in what I'm trying to say!

I think we all have several fears when we start the Camino alone.

Being a man, I was not afraid of sexual harassment, but I was of mugging, of agressions, dogs bitting me, injuries being alone, being "too" alone, being "too" accompanied ...

All starts disappearing after a couple of hours on the Camino. Everything goes easier than we previously think.

You're going to enjoy it, with no doubt.

Buen camino.

I'll be walking out of St. Jean morning of 31st of May, ..., will other pilgrims be setting off around then, for those who are there now was there others walking that early,I am feeling anxious of been alone on the path now, would like to think I would have other pilgrims in sight or to maybe walk with. I think I have spent too much time reading the crime on the camino posts!!

No chance at all for you being alone! You will soon wish for more solitude ;-) Buen Camino! SY

Thanks for any thoughts,
Yours

You will be good to go. You will find that Pilgrims look after each other. You will probably get adopted by a group of folks. Enjoy it! Buen Camino!

€46,-
Thanks for any thoughts,
Yours

Very end of May? 100+ will leave SJPDP each day, stop worrying, enjoy your walk and realize that ANY crime statistic on the Camino is far less that what happens each day in your home country/town. You will be fine and having the time of your life! Buen Camino! SY

The amazing SYates who has walked 1000's of kms of pilgrimage across Europe, largely not on the recognised and relatively well protected pilgrim trails, has very sensible advice on security for single women peregrinos http://praguesantiago.eu/safety-security/

Most men are quite bravely protective of women, bless them. But is a sad fact of life that for a very tiny number of deranged males, we are prey. The pictures, enchanting vistas of open countryside under vast blue skies first entice you to the Camino, offering peace, solitude, balm to the soul. Of course a little reading here soon reveals it's not all an idyllic spiritual odyssey under smiling mother nature . But the potential trials and hardships only heighten the appeal. As does all the planning and preparation required; always an enjoyable part of a holiday, but so much more for a Camino, and only right and fitting for such an epic journey.

But at some point, most solo females are going to think about risks in walking alone. Some of us are more nervous about this than others. We all have our own hobgoblins of the mind. It's the single major reservation I have about fully committing. It isn't so much the likelihood of any actual threat, but whether the fear of one will be a too often present companion, marring everything. It's really stupid to worry about this, I know. That only builds it up.

Well, I started this post over an hour ago intending only to point to the link in the first para! Now I have reached a sort of personal epiphany. Or the first test from the Camino. There is no talking this away, an act of real courage is required. To those women with similar fears who have chosen to go despite them: be proud, you have already been brave. Ultreia!

I am sooo blushing just now! And I want to add one bit of experience: people are actually less afraid of women than of men. Who gets easier invited in homes - women, because they seem to be less threatening. Who gets an easier emergency lift? Women, because they are not conceived as a possible carnapper. Really, ime women do have it far easier and are far less accused of being 'dangerous' than men! Buen Camino! SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
SYates, you have been more present on the forum for the last couple of days, and I have appreciated it. It has been a less-than-cheerful time lately, and your presence has been encouraging. Thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.