• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will walk Camino for first time in 2023

AnneO

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Frances
2024 Portugues
I studied at the University in León for a semester in the mid-90s and vowed I would go back some day to walk the Camino and stay in the Parador (my apartment was about two blocks from the Parador). One thing covid has taught me is not to put off my goals because you never know what will happen in the future. So I have decided to walk in May/June 2023, which will mark my 50th birthday.

Thanks in advance to everyone in this forum for your helpful suggestions as I start planning. First I need to get in some semblance of shape! Glad I have time to get there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I studied at the University in León for a semester in the mid-90s and vowed I would go back some day to walk the Camino and stay in the Parador (my apartment was about two blocks from the Parador). One thing covid has taught me is not to put off my goals because you never know what will happen in the future. So I have decided to walk in May/June 2023, which will mark my 50th birthday.

Thanks in advance to everyone in this forum for your helpful suggestions as I start planning. First I need to get in some semblance of shape! Glad I have time to get there.
Welcome!

Enjoy this phase in life; you will cherish the experience for the rest of your life. Use the Search funcion up right corner of the Forum for details, and ask questions. The forum is here to help you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So I have decided to walk in May/June 2023, which will mark my 50th birthday.

Welcome to the forum, Anne!

Same here. Did walk in July 2019, just before I turned 50.
Stayed in the Unamumo in León with a Camiga from Australia. One of the best stays on the way.

Best tip from me: do not overplan and try to lower the weight of your backpack! Get comfortable shoes (1-1,5 sizes bigger than usual) and break them in. Try not to fly in to Bayonne on a Sunday!

I left home only knowing the flights to Bayonne, nothing else. Called ahead my preferred Albergue in Puente de la Reina from Pamplona. After that: did walk and had a list of best rated Albergues on my phone, if one was closed or filled, I just walked on and chose the next on the list (happened only 2 times). My pack was ~5kg w/o water. Booked my flights back home from Sarria, took the bus from SdC to Porto to fly home (cheaper and more flights than in SdC or the other optional airports).

If I walk again (for sure I will) I would like to stay in Orrisson.
Be sure: the Camino provides! It's true!

You will have a great time!

Buen Camino!
Roland

Hi Anne, welcome to the forum. I see that this is your first post.

What a great way to celebrate your birthday! Enjoy the planning and the anticipation in the meantime.

Nuala

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Best tip from me: do not overplan and try to lower the weight of your backpack! Get comfortable shoes (1-1,5 sizes bigger than usual) and break them in.
Not overplanning will be the most difficult part for me!

I am already experimenting with shoes though and am taking the size increase into account, I have large feet so need to wear men’s shoes, which is a bit tricky.

I wear a size 12 in women’s sizes, so I can’t imagine what they would think of me!
For thread integrity it should be noted that I deleted a comment about my ex wearing size 10 shoes and having to have her shoes custom made when we lived in South Korea ... I was concerned that comments from shoe salesmen might cause offense so I deleted it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
TRY NOT TO OVER PLAN! I went on my first Camino in 2018, one month after first hearing about it. I already had a 2 week vacation planned during that month so no time to really do any research. I think that if I had had the time to research and visit all the forums and hear the one million and one opinions, I probably; 1. would not have gone, and or, 2. been terrified.
I found a website, Ultimate Female Packing List for the Camino de Santiago, and started purchasing things on line while I was on vacation. I was a relatively fit, but not athletic, 62yo at the time. At the time, I walked 5+ miles 3-4 times a week. My traveling companion, who first told me about the Camino and asked me to join her, suggested I watch The Way (had never heard of or seen it either) prior to going. I found some down time while on vacation and did so. I loved it. I went on my Camino (French Way) 2 days after returning from a lazy, pampered vacation. I loved being on the Camino more than that lazy pampered vacation (LOL). It was fabulous. Don't get me wrong, I thought I would die that first day up to Orisson, but it was still amazing.
I did not overpack.
I did not get sick.
I did not get one blister.
I did not injure myself.
I met people from all over the world.
I ate wonderful food.
I loved who I was on the Camino and more importantly, I cannot wait to get back and do it all over again.

All that being said, the point I am trying to make is don't drive yourself crazy, don't overthink it, and try really hard not to OVER plan. You'll do just fine.

Oh year and definitely get good shoes. LOL

Not overplanning will be the most difficult part for me!

I am already experimenting with shoes though and am taking the size increase into account, I have large feet so need to wear men’s shoes, which is a bit tricky.
Hi Anne,
Welcome to the forum and best wishes with all your planning. I (Anne ) did my first camino when I had just turned 60, after retirement, and Pat was 61. I also have large wide feet and while walking I wear UK 8 in mens Teva sandals and UK 10 in mens Salomon hiking boots. I normally wear womens UK 7.5 in other shoes.
All the best with finding shoes or boots that you are comfortable with, remembering to get a size bigger than normal. There are plenty of options out there.
Buen Camino
Anne & Pat

I too have large feet (US/Canadian women's size 11). I have been very happy with Salomon men's trail shoes for several Caminos. They provide the additional length needed without being too wide.
Happy planning!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Anne~
What a great adventure you have in front of you! As others have mentioned, the time to prepare is great to gather information and gear, but dangerous in terms of setting expectations. Overplanning = expecations, and they are a set up for disappointment. I turned 60 my first night on the Camino Frances and have been back four times since! I had not planned to stay at the Leon Parador, but had bad tendonitis in my knee at that point, and was invited to share a room with a woman I met on my first day in SJpdP! It was an unexpected beautiful experience and a game-changer for me. I had to stop for a week to heal my injury and came face to face with a huge expectation I had for myself. If you can flow with the Camino and let it flow within you, wonderful; if you can't. it will be another kind of wonderful! Welcome to this incredible Forum filled with generous pilgrims brimming with information, advice, support and love! buen camino!
Ultreia! elle

Buen Camino and you may have slightly larger feet than Cinderella you still need to care for them so if you can get at least 1/2 a size larger. Nobody cares about those things on Camino.
Also, you may not know but the Parador in Leon recently finished a renovation. Last time I walked through Leon it was still closed but Peregrina2000 wrote a post that describes the dissatisfaction of many regarding the renovation. I have a feeling some parts of the Parador of your University days may look very different.

Buen Camino and you may have slightly larger feet than Cinderella you still need to care for them so if you can get at least 1/2 a size larger. Nobody cares about those things on Camino.
Also, you may not know but the Parador in Leon recently finished a renovation. Last time I walked through Leon it was still closed but Peregrina2000 wrote a post that describes the dissatisfaction of many regarding the renovation. I have a feeling some parts of the Parador of your University days may look very different.

Thanks for the thread link. I knew it was being renovated but not anything beyond that. Worth considering whether to stay there or not. Not a decision I need to make anytime soon, thankfully, so I will keep an eye out for reviews.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Best of luck with planning
i have stayed in a number of paradors and Leon in my sight later this year hopefully
shoe size should be to size
get advice from a good shoe equipment store
break well in at least 3 to 6 moths
buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.