• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter 2020

fiona12

Time of past OR future Camino
Feb (2013)
Is there anyone else planning to start the CF in Feb 2020? I will be starting on 5th or 6th Feb 2020 from SJPdP. If you have ever started in Feb please share your experience.

In Feb 2013 I walked Leon to Santiago and found it surprisingly easy. I am sure that this trip will be more challenging as I turn 60 in December and my walking partner moved away last year. Without a partner I am finding it difficult to get motivated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Fiona, I walked from Santiago on the CF to Puente la Reina (i.e. backwards) in February this year. The weather was perfect. I had one and a half days of rain in 4 weeks! Wishing you great weather also. Jill

Look up and before you know it you will meet a new a wonderful walking partner. It may be tougher but who knows. Walking the hills at 65 now is tougher than it was at 57. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have walked in December / January (2013/14) on my own (from St Jean) and had no problems. As I have said previously the best thing about walking in the winter is that one walks across the top of the frozen mud, rather than sinking into it! There are always enough albergues open at a reasonable distance apart, always warm (or soon become warm once the heating is turned on), and most importantly enough restaurants / bars open to find a hot drink and something to eat. I am planning to walk in the winter of 2020 - but again, starting in Dec. / Jan '21. My goal is to reach SdC by Three Kings Eve so that I can see the festivities and, most importantly, the Nativity scene in the Cathedral before it gets dismantled. That will mean I get to see many of the other Nativity scenes that are assembled in the Churches and bars along the way too - quite special.

Is there anyone else planning to start the CF in Feb 2020? I will be starting on 5th or 6th Feb 2020 from SJPdP. If you have ever started in Feb please share your experience.

In Feb 2013 I walked Leon to Santiago and found it surprisingly easy. I am sure that this trip will be more challenging as I turn 60 in December and my walking partner moved away last year. Without a partner I am finding it difficult to get motivated.

This may be close to our time (4 of us) to start the Frances. Final date not exact yet, but we may start sometime in mid to late January 2020. Our ages range from mid 40's to late 60's. Perhaps we will meet up ! :)
Buen Camino !

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi
I'm beggining to plan for February 2020 (as I did in 2013 and 2019). Maybe around 19th. This year I should stop in Leon due to several issues, so here I am, planning again!.
;)

I suppose you must be ready for step on snow for the two or three first days, but is part of the charm :). The weather use to be cold, but as you are walking is perfect.
This year was more challenging for me, as I realised than in 2012 I could walk some days 35 kmts, and now....20/25 kmts was enough! It's OK....I'll just need more days to walk (I'll be 57 at the time).

Both years were meteorologically great, and I just had a couple or three rainy days. I hope, 2020 will seem like that (although is not the normal situation).
I'm sorry about your partner, but you already have enough motivation (regarding your signature), so go for it. Winter time is the best Camino season

Last edited:
Hi Fiona, I walked from Santiago on the CF to Puente la Reina (i.e. backwards) in February this year. The weather was perfect. I had one and a half days of rain in 4 weeks! Wishing you great weather also. Jill
:oops::oops: I'm pretty sure I met you in Castrojeriz on March 2nd, at the albergue. We were getting ready to go.....but in oposite directions😅

:oops::oops: I'm pretty sure I met you in Castrojeriz on March 2nd, at the albergue. We were getting ready to go.....but in oposite directions😅

I did indeed leave Castrojeriz albergue on the morning of 2 March!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So that's it: the world (and this forum) is small ;).
We were (a Korean guy and me) just at the entrance putting on the boots to beguin our walk, and you were there too, so we cross two words meanwhile, and then you told us you're going "the other way".
Pleased to say hello again!😁

Hi
I'm beggining to plan for February 2020 (as I did in 2013 and 2019). Maybe around 19th. This year I should stop in Leon due to several issues, so here I am, planning again!.
;)

I suppose you must be ready for step on snow for the two or three first days, but is part of the charm :). The weather use to be cold, but as you are walking is perfect.
This year was more challenging for me, as I realised than in 2012 I could walk some days 35 kmts, and now....20/25 kmts was enough! It's OK....I'll just need more days to walk (I'll be 57 at the time).

Both years were meteorologically great, and I just had a couple or three rainy days. I hope, 2020 will seem like that (although is not the normal situation).
I'm sorry about your partner, but you already have enough motivation (regarding your signature), so go for it. Winter time is the best Camino season
For some reason I am hesitating to make the booking. Time is getting short. I have become unsure of myself - the first two days of the CF always sound so daunting especially in the winter. However, I need to do this. Cold doesn't bother me but rain is not something I handle well.

I don't see anyone else on the calendar for Feb 2020. Please contact me if you are starting the CF around the 6 to 8 Feb.

Hi Fiona i will be starting around the same time as you! I walked this year half February and half March, it was fantastic. So i am doing it again!!! Of course we were very lucky with the weather. No rain! I am not sure yet if i am starting in sjpdp or earlier, somewhere on the le puy. But if you like, stay in touch, and how fun would it be to meet up on the camino! I cant wait to walk again!
Lisa

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Fiona i will be starting around the same time as you! I walked this year half February and half March, it was fantastic. So i am doing it again!!! Of course we were very lucky with the weather. No rain! I am not sure yet if i am starting in sjpdp or earlier, somewhere on the le puy. But if you like, stay in touch, and how fun would it be to meet up on the camino! I cant wait to walk again!
Lisa
Hi Lisakline

I had email issues and haven't checked back here for some time.

Have you booked yet? Which route?

I am devoting today to completing my arrangements but finding it very difficult to get to SJPdP on 5 or 6 Feb.

Trying from Pamplona or Bayonne/Biarritz. Bourricot doesn't run in Feb and don't seem to be able to book a bus/train to SJPdP. Any suggestions?

Hi Fiona
I am also having difficulties finding a way to get to sjpdp. I think i may just start walking straight out of Pamplona. I am taking the train to Pamplona the beginning of February and will investigate there whether there is a way, or just start walking!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.