• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter Pilgrim leaving SJPP 15th Jan11 Excited? you BET

AndrewH

Hey to all the fine wonderful folk on this highly informative and positive forum!

A newbe getting very excited about walking in the SNOW from Saint Jean Pied de Port 15th Jan destination not important but hope reach my goal of finding myself once more, been a hard year.

A Massive thank you to all you guys out there who have contributed to this great site i have read and re-read some of your advice and hope i'm ready. I have the strongest feeling of knowing with all my heart this is my path to follow for the time being.

Anyone body who maybe walking during these winter months my thoughts are with you as soon i will be joining you.

Any more advice about walking during the Winter is more than welcome, especially advice on currently open Refuges, hostels ect.. would also be irremediable appreciated.

Many thanks

Andrew

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Andrew:

Have a good walk and listen to advice about the weather and conditions, particularly on your first day.

I have only walked in the fall, first in Spain then most recently in France, so really cannot comment on the circumstances you will be facing.

Above all, you are OK, you will be fine and yes, your experience will be a touchstone for the rest of your live. It is a wonderful time out for yourself and a gift.

All the best, Merry Christmas and Bueno Camino.

Frood

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey many thanks Frood for the good sound advice about checking weather with people. And have a great Christmas as well

Andrew

Well, Andrew, I'm having vague thoughts of starting from Pamplona this January. That's where I left off last year.

I'm guessing my camping gear should be left behind. Am hoping for plenty of accommodation if I splurge for the odd hotel or B&B. Would like to get all the way to Finisterre, albeit at my dawdler's pace.

Like Andrew, I'm hoping for any warnings or info you guys can give me on walking in Jan-Feb.

So I'll be following this thread with great interest! I especially hope the kiwinomad approves my choice. She has the irritating habit of being right about many things.

Rob

hi Andrew and Rob
I did have some links to some winter blogs but can't find them,maybe sil will help us out. though when i walked in May it was a white out but maybe that was a one off.
Just read your blog Rob ( great pics) and for someone who calls himself a dawdler you don't half get around,it was good to meet you in Conque and may your slow Camino continue.
Buen Camino to you both.
Ian

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Rob

Keep hearing this Camino walking has a habit of drawing you in for more and more, after a read of your Blog (awesome by the way) i really see why your wanting to get out and start walking again.

Does anyone have any good weather websites for up to date info on weather at moment? If it's anything like the snow we have already had in the UK think its going to be magical (albeit COLD).

Anyone else going on a Winters Camino Jan, Feb or March?

Andrew

Many thanks for the well wishes Ian, hears wishing you a very merry Christmas and a great new year to come. :)

Andrew

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Andrew,
I have only walked in the spring and fall so have nothing personal about winter walking - your courage leaves me in awe. It will be quite a different experience in many ways - not the least of which is that you will not be able to see any of the markers on the ground. You will likely need a good map and have to pay a lot more attention to it than those of us who bumble forward from yellow arrow to yellow arrow.
Re your question about the weather ( and I reinforce the comment above that says 'listen to the locals' and be aware that people have died in the storms when they haven't paid attention to what the locals say). Have you seen this site: http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/santiago/weather.html ?
Or this one: http://www.elcaminosantiago.com/Weather ... nces-1.htm ?
Hopefully they will be helpful to give you a sense of what to expect. One of the main things for winter walking seems to be - sit out the storms. Mother Nature can be extremely forceful when she's in a mood.
Buen camino - may it be all you are hoping for and much more of all that is good.
Cecelia

Hi Petew

I hope this finds you before you leave for your adventure. I wish you a fantastic journey and who knows with only 5 days between us maybe we will meet :D

Buen camino Petew

Andrew

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Cecelia

many thanks for the great info and links provided, very useful indeed.

I have to say after reading your reply for the first time i was scared for a moment about loosing my way on the route, after all snow is very possible and way markers could very well be covered.

After a few moments of reflection and looking inside myself to see why i was fearful, has given me a greater insight into attachment of a favorable situation.

I of course like most would like to reach my destination, but that is an attachment to particular outcome (what if i don't make it? will this make me unhappy, upset, disapointed, or failure)

So as a conclusion If i get lost, this is my Camino and my experience. If i don't make Santiago, well this is also my Camino. What I'm promising myself is not to hold on to any attachment to any outcome. What will be will be!

Many many thanks Cecelia for allowing my mind to open even further the closer i get to my Camino

Andrew

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.