• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

would be interested in anyones thoughts- re: Lisbon

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
For those that have done the Rota Vicentina and Costa da Caparica (or other South of Lisbon treks)...
I was wondering if you had any thoughts or recommendations for this situation...
We are going to do the Rota Vicentina and connect to the Costa da Caparica and then continue on to Santiago.
I think I am going to try to trace Fatty Pilgrims route that he shared and continue on the coast from Lisbon.
Any thoughts?....I am thinking we will spend two great days in Lisbon BEFORE we start...
then stay on the coast and not reenter Lisbon as we head North. My thinking is this might keep us off the road that everyone is describing to get out of Lisbon.
With that said after several days on the coast a walk on the road won't seem so deflating at this point.

We are taking a friend and her daughter, neither have travelled Europe, this will be their first exposure
so I'm trying to keep that in mind...

And if I dare take up anymore attention...if anyone has any ideas of what to do once we arrive on that Ferry.
Head to Sintra????

My Camino guides have been ordered, but not in hand...so this might be more obvious once I have them.
Thanks in advance!
Neve

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sintra is nice but I'd head straight for the Jerónimos Monastery - especially with someone who has never travelled to Europe before. And the original pastel de nada at Belem. Their recipe really is the best, and it is so conveniently close to the monastery. That way all the senses are delighted! http://pasteisdebelem.pt/en/

For those that have done the Rota Vicentina and Costa da Caparica (or other South of Lisbon treks)...
I was wondering if you had any thoughts or recommendations for this situation...
We are going to do the Rota Vicentina and connect to the Costa da Caparica and then continue on to Santiago.
I think I am going to try to trace Fatty Pilgrims route that he shared and continue on the coast from Lisbon.
Any thoughts?....I am thinking we will spend two great days in Lisbon BEFORE we start...
then stay on the coast and not reenter Lisbon as we head North. My thinking is this might keep us off the road that everyone is describing to get out of Lisbon.
With that said after several days on the coast a walk on the road won't seem so deflating at this point.

We are taking a friend and her daughter, neither have travelled Europe, this will be their first exposure
so I'm trying to keep that in mind...

And if I dare take up anymore attention...if anyone has any ideas of what to do once we arrive on that Ferry.
Head to Sintra????

My Camino guides have been ordered, but not in hand...so this might be more obvious once I have them.
Thanks in advance!
Neve

Hi, Neve,
I'm not sure I understand what you are thinking, but here are some scattered comments. If you take the ferry, it will take you to the Cais do Sodre terminal, which is in central Lisbon, so there's no way to avoid it. I am not one to want to rain on other people's parades, but I have not yet heard from anyone who has walked successfully on the coastal route out of Lisbon. FattyPilgrim made it to Ericeira. I think he was on the "Trail of Sand" rather than the "Coastal Route." I'm sure there are people, though, just not that I can remember from the forum. And I can remember several who have callen it quits.

There are frequent trains from Lisbon to Sintra, and the ferry terminal is not far from that train station. So you are thinking that you will stop walking in Santiago do Cacem (or somewhere else?) and then get to Cacilhas. Then to Lisbon on the ferry and then to Sintra to start walking?

Are you envisioning a walk that is totally off Camino and totally along the coast up to Vigo? That would be an adventure!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Neve,
I'm not sure I understand what you are thinking, but here are some scattered comments. If you take the ferry, it will take you to the Cais do Sodre terminal, which is in central Lisbon, so there's no way to avoid it. I am not one to want to rain on other people's parades, but I have not yet heard from anyone who has walked successfully on the coastal route out of Lisbon. FattyPilgrim made it to Ericeira. I think he was on the "Trail of Sand" rather than the "Coastal Route." I'm sure there are people, though, just not that I can remember from the forum. And I can remember several who have callen it quits.

There are frequent trains from Lisbon to Sintra, and the ferry terminal is not far from that train station. So you are thinking that you will stop walking in Santiago do Cacem (or somewhere else?) and then get to Cacilhas. Then to Lisbon on the ferry and then to Sintra to start walking?

Are you envisioning a walk that is totally off Camino and totally along the coast up to Vigo? That would be an adventure!
Thank you Laurie!
In all honesty not totally certain on what I am totally envisioning. My books (ordered from our forum site) arrive tomorrow!!! I think once I get them and can study the map better I can gather my plans way better. I think I'm going to have us enjoy Lisbon on our first two days, I didn't realize the ferry takes you back into Lisbon directly, so maybe we will hang out there upon reentering (I know I will love it!).
I think my goal is coastal towns, as I love the coast. I didn't even know there was a Trail of Sand.
I imagine vino and fish looking out over the sea as much I can have that view :)
My only hurdle is I have invited a friend and her 18 year old daughter to join us. Both as cool of companions as I could ask for...but neither has done such a thing. While I know my kids can do almost anything I'm now having to take on a sort of "tour guide" (said respectfully) camino, and that has me more stressed than usual camino prep.
I'll try to hold off till I have my guides in hand...
You are the GREATEST!

So here is a map of the "coastal route" -- you will see it is not very "coastal."

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...&ll=39.22623525176729,-8.980753046874952&z=10

Here is information about the Trilho das Areias. I don't know if there is a map there, but it lists all of the stages so you can see where it goes more or less on the map.

http://trilho-das-areias.webnode.com/

I don't think any of the guidebooks include either the Coastal Route from Lisbon or the Trilho das Areias, but I could be wrong.

And yes yes yes you will love Lisbon! Bom caminho, Laurie

So here is a map of the "coastal route" -- you will see it is not very "coastal."

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1X1RwlXnlfPhTScpVdT6b4poRVrQ&ll=39.22623525176729,-8.980753046874952&z=10

Here is information about the Trilho das Areias. I don't know if there is a map there, but it lists all of the stages so you can see where it goes more or less on the map.

http://trilho-das-areias.webnode.com/

I don't think any of the guidebooks include either the Coastal Route from Lisbon or the Trilho das Areias, but I could be wrong.

And yes yes yes you will love Lisbon! Bom caminho, Laurie
Wonderful information!!!!!
Thank you!!!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Neve
I am looking at southern Portugal for April 2018. I did Lisbon to Santiago last April.
Temps were fine, little rain. Don't know why folks complain about the walk out of Lisbon, or the flattish walk thru farmland for the first few days. It was fine by me.
I also love the seaside and further north walked it as much as I could.

I need to muddy the Portuguese waters further by advising that I heard several times about a "Seaside Route", not the one mentioned sometimes as adjacent to the "Coastal."
Generally this came from French walkers who had walked a mix of trails up the Rota Vicentina, and were continuing up past Lisbon on this "Seaside Route" via Sintra.
Whatever, here is a website I am investigating re the Rota Vicentina .
http://en.rotavicentina.com/kiosk.html
And a variation of it;
http://en.rotavicentina.com/go.html

As I have plenty of time I'm thinking of rental car/bus/train from Barcelona down the coast to Valencia, then on to see Cordoba, the Alhambra, Gibralta and Cadiz. Just touristing. Then walking Cadiz to Seville on the Via Augusta. 173ks.
Then across the border to walk some variation of the Rota Vicentina.

Whatever, keep your eye out for any mention of that Seaside Route - and let me know if you find anything!
Regards and always good travelling
Gerard

Last edited:
Hi Neve
I am looking at southern Portugal for April 2018. I did Lisbon to Santiago last April.
Temps were fine, little rain. Don't know why folks complain about the walk out of Lisbon, or the flattish walk thru farmland for the first few days. It was fine by me.
I also love the seaside and further north walked it as much as I could.

I need to muddy the Portuguese waters further by advising that I heard several times about a "Seaside Route", not the one mentioned sometimes as adjacent to the "Coastal."
Generally this came from French walkers who had walked a mix of trails up the Rota Vicentina, and were continuing up past Lisbon on this "Seaside Route" via Sintra.
Whatever, here is a website I am investigating re the Rota Vicentina .
http://en.rotavicentina.com/kiosk.html
And a variation of it;
http://en.rotavicentina.com/go.html

As I have plenty of time I'm thinking of rental car/bus/train from Barcelona down the coast to Valencia, then on to see Cordoba, the Alhambra, Gibralta and Cadiz. Just touristing. Then walking Cadiz to Seville on the Via Augusta. 173ks.
Then across the border to walk some variation of the Rota Vicentina.

Whatever, keep your eye out for any mention of that Seaside Route - and let me know if you find anything!
Regards and always good travelling
Gerard
Gerard,
Thank you for chiming in!!!! Could that seaside route be the route that Laurie references above, The Trail of Sand?
Your plans sounds dreamy, you'll be a few steps behind us on the Rota V I think as we will start walking in March.
I'll keep you posted on what I find.
Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back