• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Rota Vicentina / Fishermans trail in October

Time of past OR future Camino
Inglès April 2023
Primitivo July 2023
Greetings all. Hoping to get a couple of weeks to walk late October - perhaps into the first week of November. Really dislike the cold, and it seems like this would be a good option.
Anyone done this recently? How many people are likely to be on the trail? I used to love to walk alone, but my last two Caminos have shown me that, actually, I'm not the loner I used to think I was.
As to the trail, I've done a little research - for example, because of the time of the year it's better to walk south to north. And I'll buy some gaiters to deal with the sand.
Advice welcomed

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I live along the Fisherman’s Trail and have volunteered to count walkers. The maximum I’ve counted in one day were 100 individuals, but that included several groups walking together. It will be a lovely time to walk and you will feel alone much of the time. (Gaiters are a must by the way). Enjoy!

Greetings all. Hoping to get a couple of weeks to walk late October - perhaps into the first week of November. Really dislike the cold, and it seems like this would be a good option.
Anyone done this recently? How many people are likely to be on the trail? I used to love to walk alone, but my last two Caminos have shown me that, actually, I'm not the loner I used to think I was.
As to the trail, I've done a little research - for example, because of the time of the year it's better to walk south to north. And I'll buy some gaiters to deal with the sand.
Advice welcomed
We walked it in the spring of 2022 (if that's recent enough for you). We went north to south, starting on the Historical Way in Santiago do Cacem, then cutting over on day 3 to Porto Covo and continuing south from there to Cabo de S. Vicente and then east to Lagos.

Both the inland and coastal scenery are magnificent. Since we live in northern California, which has a stupendous coastline, I was a little apprehensive that the coastal walking would be a bit boring -- such as we found on the coast north of Porto -- but my fears were unwarranted. It's spectacular all the way.

I'm not sure why you're choosing to walk south to north, but whatever . . . I don't see that the weather will be a problem. Weatherspark is my favorite site for comprehensive weather information, and it shows that average daily highs in October in Porto Covo, at the northern end of the Fisherman's Trail, range from 76 / 24 in the beginning of the month to 69 / 21 at the end of the month. If that's too cold for you, maybe you want to walk from north to south so you have the sun in your face. But your choice. It's marked both ways, and you'll encounter (some) walkers both ways.

We did not see many walkers ourselves in the first two weeks of May. Occasionally, we'd pass or be passed by someone walking our way, and between 10:30 and 11:30 we'd generally intersect the "crowd" going the other way. By "crowd," I mean maybe 6 people total. I wouldn't expect late October to be much different, so this will not be an experience like the Frances or the Portuguese caminos. More like the Invierno, I'd imagine, although I haven't walked that. You will see some people at night in your lodgings, though.

In terms of day-to-day destinations, the stages are pretty much fixed, since there are few lodgings to be had between the towns along the route.

I see that you're from Germany, and I suspect that there's a good guidebook in German. The only English guidebook I know of, which we used, is the one issued by Cicerone. However, we mostly relied on the great "official" website, which has all the lodging information, maps, downloadable gpx and kml tracks, and pretty much everything you need. Here's the url, in English (it's also available in German):

I did find it a little hard to navigate until I found the specific sub-parts for the Historical Way and the Fisherman's Trail. Here they are:

Happy to answer any other questions you have.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree with all the positive comments re the Rota Vicentina. We walked in April 2017, a mixture of the fishermen's trail and the historical way.

We walked from south to north - it suited us given where we were coming from and going to. We had just finished the Mozarabe in Merida (so we could have gone either way) but after the RV, we went to Porto to walk from there to SdeC so south to north made sense. As said above, the RV is marked in both directions so there was no problem there.

I can't help with an idea of numbers as it was 6 years ago and the opposite season to your plan.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Advice welcomed
We walked north to south in June 2019: https://www.pamnjeff.com/Coast-to-Coast/fishermens-trail/ The sand is very fine, like powder and our running shoes absorbed it through the breathable tops. I recommend more solid shoes, maybe full leather boots. Anyway it's a great walk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back