• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best direction to walk the Florida Trail in October

FlyingScott

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2023
Thinking of walking the FT in early October 2023 and was wondering if there is any benefit of walking in either direction?
We will be dropped off and collected by friends so no worries about transport.
We plan about walking roughly 20km average per day over 7 days but could go further so any suggestions for a route and accommodation would be most welcome.
Many thanks in advance

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
A few things to consider:

- Waymarking is both ways so from that perspective there is no advantage of one over the other.

- Most people walk north-south so if you want to meet fellow hikers and see them again, that is the best option.

- If you walk north south you will be looking into the sun around the middle of the day, although we didn’t find that problematic in April.

- If you are walking only 7 days at 20km/day, you might have to skip a stage or two so how you manage this might be a factor (eg do you want to skip a stage in the middle and transport ahead, or do a continuous walk for 7 days and cut something out at the start or end?) I think the best of the FT is the first few days heading south from Porto Covo, so personally I would start there and skip something later on.

Here are my stages and accommodation. My favourite places to stay were Ahoy in Porto Covo and Hostel Nature in Zambujeira do Mar. My favourite restaurant was Pisco in Vila do Bispo.

0 - Porto Covo
Ahoy Hostel, €40 double w/ shared bathroom

1 - Porto Covo - Vila Nova de Milfontes 20km
Vila Nova Sol da Vila €35, check-in 3pm

2 - Vila Nova de Milfontes - Almograve 15.5km
Almograve HI hostel €39, check-in 6pm

3 - Almograve - Zambujeira do Mar 22km
Zambujeira do Mar, Hostel Nature €45, check in after 3pm (strict)

4 - Zambujeira do Mar - Odeceixe 18.5km
Odeceixe Hostel Seixe €45

5 - Odeceixe - Aljezur 18.5km
Aljezur Amazing hDesign Hostel €44, check-in after 4pm

6 - Aljezur - Carrapateira 24km
Carrapateira Lodge €45

7 - Carrapateira - Vila do Bispo 16km
Casa Dias €38

8 - Vila do Bispo - Sagres 20.5km
Apartamentos Atalaia €32

9 - Sagres - Salema 19.5km
Salema Eco Camp €65

10 - Salema - Lagos 23km
Casa Sousa, €36/night for 2 nights

For @jungleboy 😊
I passed by yesterday when I walked from Cercal do Alentejo to Porto Covo and back. I stayed in Ahoy in 2016 and agree that it was an enjoyable stay. Closed now.
View attachment 139040

The port at Porto Covo
IMG_20230104_131734.jpg

@FlyingScott I enjoyed walking north south with the sun on my face in March. I started in Santiago do Cacém and followed the Historical Trail through Valle Seco to Cercal then crossed over to Porto Covo to continue on the Fisherman's Trail. Yesterday I did that stretch again and it's a lovely up and down through cork forests and fields. Tomorrow I'm thinking of walking from Cercal to Valle Seco.

It's a great walk, even years later.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
For @jungleboy 😊
I passed by yesterday when I walked from Cercal do Alentejo to Porto Covo and back. I stayed in Ahoy in 2016 and agree that it was an enjoyable stay. Closed now.
I suspect/hope that’s just a seasonal closure over the Christmas and NY break.

I suspect/hope that’s just a seasonal closure over the Christmas and NY break.
Yes, I'm sure you're right. Towns on the coast are pretty dead at the moment with many cafés and restaurants closed:
- supermarket closed in Porto Covo
- only one café open in Zambujeira
- no restaurants open in Odeceixe

In Cercal all is open but it's less of a tourist spot.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back