• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Writing on the journey

rglongpre

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - Figeac (2012); Camino Frances (August 28, 2015)
I am a writer, plain and simple. I will be walking for about three months and that is a lot of paper-weight to consider. I blog almost everyday, mostly about the human psyche, Jungian psychology, Buddhism and active imagination while using photographs taken en route. My blogging posts have been posted from a month in India, a month in Vietnam, a month in Thailand, three months in Mexico, three months in Costa Rica and from various locales in Canada over the past five years.

I use a Vaio Z series 13.3 laptop (3 lbs and 6 hour battery life) and have downsized my camera to a Nikon Coolpix 810 (430 g). I don't have a cell phone/dumb phone/smart phone/iPad or whatever - no mp3 or iPod, nor do I intend on getting any of these. It comes down to choices based on so many "personal" factors. Will this make me less of a pilgrim? I don't think so. The truth is, we are all pilgrims whether we are walking the camino, or trudging through our daily lives from house to car to work and home again.

If it is about being a purist pilgrim, leave the hi tech clothing, backpacks and shoes - basic sandals or barefoot wearing rough spun home-made clothing for the most part would fit the bill.

That rant aside, I do see how technology can detract from the process. For me, the technology has been my writing/thinking technology (don't forget that journals and moleskin writing books are also technology). I could probably do well to leave all at home and be Zen-like and not think of communicating with my family, colleagues and friends for three months. Which way is the "selfish" way?

Robert

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Rob,
I've read your post a few times but I'm not sure what the question is? Are you asking for advice from other writers on what to take so that you can write whilst on the Camino?
You say:
I use a Vaio Z series 13.3 laptop (3 lbs and 6 hour battery life) and have downsized my camera to a Nikon Coolpix 810 (430 g). I don't have a cell phone/dumb phone/smart phone/iPad or whatever - no mp3 or iPod, nor do I intend on getting any of these. It comes down to choices based on so many "personal" factors.

The new generation cell phones (Smart Phones) are mini-computers and can do everything you want them to do while you are walking. With different applications (apps) they can be your link for your travelogue - write them and email them to your blog: a camera, a gps, a StarWalk app allows you to hold your phone to the heavens at night and read the stars; apps for writers like Dropbox (http://appadvice.com/applists/show/apps-for-writers). You can play music if you want to, watch movies, draw and read books. And you can call or email home (or your editor!)

My suggestion would be to take one gadget that does it all. (Samsung Galaxy or Nexus weighs 119g)

I would agree with sillydoll. I brought a Samsung Galaxy S2 (with a spare battery, just in case) and this covered camera, email, this forum, skype, talk, text, and books. One gadget one charger. Easy to keep dry in the very wet conditions. I met a few people who were really worried about their laptops getting wet, and then there is the weight issue.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Personally, I go on pilgrimage to leave all this damn technology behind.

But I'm not a writer and this topic has been done to death. :evil:

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am also a proponent (for those who want to carry tech gear) of the smart phone. If you're going to be doing extensive writing it would likely make sense to have a BT keyboard along and if you're going to be using it as your camera, make sure you do research on the cameras in the various options to ensure you get one that is decent. My smart phone will be my: camera, phone, ebook reader, guide book, music player, blogging tool, expense tracker, GPS tracker, and more.

If you must carry a laptop, I personally would only carry a small, cheap netbook. You can get one new for about $300 and in that price range you're getting something more portable size-wise that isn't going to be truly upsetting if it dies, is killed or is stolen. I work online and travel full-time and my permanent laptop is an eeePC. It's 2 lbs including charger and only 10" which may not seem like much of a difference from 13, but it is.

My hope for my camino is to only carry my phone and leave the laptop behind but that is dependent upon whether my friend is meeting me in Portugal after my walk or not.

Or, you could do it the 'authentic' way.
Like Aimery Picaud (on el Camino) or Bishop Sigeric (on the Via Francigena) you could take your own personal scribes, a clerk or two, slaves to carry the tablets, paper, ink, nibs, pens and feathers; an artist to draw the landscapes and monuments: carrier pigeons to take some of the writing and drawings home; three mules and a donkey to cart it all. :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My local House of Nibs store has recently closed, so I don't think I can write in the old fashioned way.

falcon269 said:
My local House of Nibs store has recently closed, so I don't think I can write in the old fashioned way.
But if you have a knife and can find a goose.........
But if using a quill pen then I suppose you will also need parchment, or even vellum.
Seen any sheep lately?

On a more serious note for OP, we chose not to take any technology apart from a simple phone but if wrtiting is important to your Camino then take whatever suits your needs and weighs as little as possible. The Asus EEE netbooks are really good as Vagabondette says.
Buen Camino

I spy one:probably goats, though.

Attachments

• P5160224.jpg
    P5160224.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 454
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back