• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for partners to start the journey with!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello! I’m Yael, and I’m planning on doing the Camino Frances as a solo female.
I’m planning on leaving Barcelona for saint Jean de port on September 17th and would love a friend for the journey. If you plan on doing the Camino in those days I would love to join you:)

Hi, @yael, and welcome to the forum,

I’m assuming this will be your first camino, and if so, lucky lucky you! We frequently have posts like this from those who may be slightly hesitant about walking alone, and you might connect with someone here who has similar plans and starting dates.

But I think the accumulated wisdom here on the forum is two-fold.

First, you are going to be walking during a high-traffic time from SJPP and there will be many others starting out when you do. Many of them will also be alone, and you are very likely to meet a congenial group.

Second, starting out with just some random stranger might be a good idea for companionship during those first hours of uncertainty and nerves, but I think most of us would say that it is unlikely that you will make a connection here with someone who will be compatible with you — not just in terms of personality, but maybe more importantly in terms of walking speeds and styles.

My unsolicited advice would be not to worry if you arrive in SJPP and don’t know anyone. Start to walk, and you will meet others very quickly.

Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your detailed and thoughtful response. You’re right that it’s mostly about those first hours of uncertainty and just not being alone especially when I’m pretty young (18)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Agree with @peregrina2000. If you are staying in albergues, you will likely meet someone right away. (Maybe even before you leave St Jean.) Otherwise, you will meet people on the way. If you are staying in hotels or private rooms, you are more likely to meet pilgrims who may be eating out or stopping for a drink. It is ok to ask if you can sit with others or they may invite you to join them before you have the chance.

Be sure to walk your own pace as trying to keep up with someone faster can lead to injuries, blisters, etc. You will probably see the same people several times over the first few days of walking. Some people form firm friendships, but I find that as a slow walker, I meet lots of different people over the course of the journey.

Welcome to the forum!

I agree that any sort of advance "commitment" with a stranger is not a good idea - even beware of the excitement of the first day, when you meet someone and enthusiastically talk about being partners, forming a sense of obligation that may get awkward in days to come. Really, it is best to keep all your options open. In mid-September, you will meet many people to talk to, every day. You will have the choice to walk with others, or walk alone and invariably meet others at rest stops and accommodation. Don't limit your options at the start.

Buen Camino!

שלום יעל
OK.. hard for me to weigh in on the feelings of a young female traveling solo... but I (and many others) "started solo". Of the people that stayed at the same albergue with me in SJPdP (Beilari) I saw a handful perhaps through the next 3 days...and then they all were gone. One lady, whom I made acquaintance of on the Rue de la Citadelle as she was walking out of the Boutique du Pelegrin,... we were on and off until Castrojeriz .... and many other folks I've met simply by walking the trail.
I agree with all the sentiments stated above - do not worry, you will NOT be "alone" and please pay more attention to your speed and foot care. Do not try to keep up with anyone, and hopefully nobody will try to "keep up with you". I've had plenty situation when someone I walked with at some point went ahead; we said our Buen Caminos... and happily reunited in the next stage stop (sometimes even in the same Albergue)
You'll be fine! :)
Good luck and Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is very normal to walk with someone for a while, and then say that you want to stop for a break, tie your shoelaces, stop to read/write some poetry/prayers, slow down, speed up, etc., etc. - these may be entirely true, or they may be excuses for getting some alone time or adjusting your pace. If they want to hang around waiting for you, tell them to please go ahead and you'll catch up later.

Do this cheerfully and with confidence and any reasonable person will understand and appreciate it. You can say "I'll meet you in wherever" or "Let's stay in touch by WhatsApp" and mean it sincerely. In all probability you WILL meet them again and regularly. That reminds me - I'd recommend installing WhatsApp on your phone as it is the most commonly-used way to stay in touch with other pilgrims.

Go to the September 2023 thread and message all those starting on the same day from SJPdP. Suggest meeting up outside the pilgrim office and go for a meal. Even if you don't "hit it off" then it is comforting to see them along the route and check how each other is going.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Don't worry, I started on my own in 2018, but ended up with a United Nation of camino family 😊
I'll be walking with a group of friends this time, a few days behind you, maybe we'll meet on the road. Cheers

Walking the Camino youll find the other pilgrims are some of the most kind, fun and open people you’ll ever meet. At home we would rarely walk up to a stranger and begin a conversation. On the Camino it’s an everyday occurance. My best advice is be open, smile and say hi to all you meet and you’ll not be alone unless you choose to be.

Hi Yael, I will be continuing the route from after Pamplona around the time you probably reach it, so perhaps we have a chance to meet.

Dont worry - companions and lifelong friends are made on the Camino - all of my Camino family from 2022 from Scotland. Ireland and USA have visited me at home In France.
I met them all before first night in Roncesvalles….

Hi Yael, I will be continuing the route from after Pamplona around the time you probably reach it, so perhaps we have a chance to meet.
I’ll be in Pamplona around the 17th-18th of September, maybe we’ll see each other then!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Just a little while ago I made a post about taking a train from Barcelona. Here it is again but with the destination changed.

On the train I think they assign seats. Try to get on the right/starboard/north side of the train heading to Pamplona, the view is nicer in my opinion.

Buen camino.

Hi Yael, I'm setting off from SJPdP on 17 September (arriving the day before), will also be travelling solo! Hope we bump into each other :)

Hi Yael, I'm setting off from SJPdP on 17 September (arriving the day before), will also be travelling solo! Hope we bump into each other :)
Good to know! In the end I’m stopping for a night in pamplona so I’ll set out on the 18th. Hope we’ll still get to meet each other!

Hello! I’m Yael, and I’m planning on doing the Camino Frances as a solo female.
I’m planning on leaving Barcelona for saint Jean de port on September 17th and would love a friend for the journey. If you plan on doing the Camino in those days I would love to join you:)

You will meet lots of great people on the way up the hill from St Jean.
By the end of the day, you will have a choice of walking buddies....... ;)
I know it's kind of hard to picture it, until you have experienced it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, @yael, and welcome to the forum,

I’m assuming this will be your first camino, and if so, lucky lucky you! We frequently have posts like this from those who may be slightly hesitant about walking alone, and you might connect with someone here who has similar plans and starting dates.

But I think the accumulated wisdom here on the forum is two-fold.

First, you are going to be walking during a high-traffic time from SJPP and there will be many others starting out when you do. Many of them will also be alone, and you are very likely to meet a congenial group.

Second, starting out with just some random stranger might be a good idea for companionship during those first hours of uncertainty and nerves, but I think most of us would say that it is unlikely that you will make a connection here with someone who will be compatible with you — not just in terms of personality, but maybe more importantly in terms of walking speeds and styles.

My unsolicited advice would be not to worry if you arrive in SJPP and don’t know anyone. Start to walk, and you will meet others very quickly.

Buen camino, Laurie
I think that’s good advice. I’ll also be travelling solo, but definitely expecting to meet people with no expectations about doing the entire trip together.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back