• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

yeaor nay? camping out in a hammock?

ward4e

Time of past OR future Camino
'13-French Way
'18-Via de Plata
'23-Gibraltair
hey,

I've done this a couple of times lounging around after a trek reading & sleeping overnight in a hammock and but its only mentioned in passing in a couple of threads.

so i'm guessing most people don't approve? or is there a scarcity of trees :lol:

anyway has anyone had any success? I'm kind of worried tying up at refugio's trying to explain what I want to do in 3 or so languages along the route..

anyway any advice would be great!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ward- I read in another post of yours that you might be going in April. Mostly I think you may well find it too cold and possibly too wet to sleep out in a hammock in April... The Meseta for instance might be hot in summer but it lies at about 800m altitude, and it was mostly quite cold when I walked even in June.
Margaret

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I didn't bring the hammock on the Camino since there were two of us hiking together, we carried a Hubba-Hubba tent. However, I kept thinking that if I were going solo I would have carried my Hennessy. I hiked the entire Appalachian Trail with it and we became very good friends. I emphasized that in my book about the hike.

At the eastern end of the Camino, we started at Ste. Jean Pied du Port, the terrain is not very level at all and there are plenty of trees, perfect conditions for hammocks. The meseta on the other hand doesn't have much forest, but it did have lots of "islands" of clumps of trees.

The problem we had camping was that there are three choices on the Camino:

o a public campground, which usually cost more than an albergue and were usually far from the Camino.
o Camping at an albergue, some did let us, but that was hit or miss. They would charge the same fee, but it was nice to have the showers, community, etc.
o "Stealth" camping. This is where you go off into the woods and set up for the night. Since one never knows who owns the land, that is always "iffy," but as long as one is environmentally responsible and goes deep enough into the woods, should work.

Would I carry the hammock? Certainly. How often will you use it, I guess that depends on how aggressively you like to camp. One downside: you'll miss the sense of community and gathering of peregrinos every night--unless you're camping at an albergue, and we REALLY got to enjoy being with the others as we formed friendships.

I have a Clark Jungle Hammock and I've seriously considered taking it next Camino.

While the meseta lacks trees, you could stake out the Clark on the ground and use your trekking poles to hold up the sleeping compartment. You'd have the additional advantage of mosquito/fly netting. However, I've weighed the Clark and it's about 4 pounds.. too much weight for some.
A Hennessy would be a problem :::grin:: seeing how you couldn't get out if you were on the dirt.
I got caught in one once, and had to have help getting out. Didn't have enough butt in my britches to kick myself out the bottom :mrgreen:

Depending on the time you'd go, you would need an underquilt, which means more weight.
I guess the answer is it depends on the type of hammock you have.
For the most part, I'd say no... there won't be enough places to hang.
But if you have a Clark.. well... maybe :lol:

I have thought about simply taking my Speers Winter Tarp and nothing else. I took it last Camino and used it only once, but I also had a screen tent. I enjoy sleeping out when possible, under the stars... even in albergue yards. No bedbugs, no perfume, no snoring. Heaven!

you might be lucky but in my case; my pacerpoles would be in bits by the morn, a tent yes but not a '4 star accommodated hammock'. They do look so comfy those CJH's,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

So….. we had 1 inch of rain here at home in a 4 hour period. We found it and opportunity to test our packs/setup. We hiked 12 miles in pure downpour. We both wore shorts and no pack covers as mine...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
My husband and I will be walking our first camino from SJPP to Santiago, then on to Finisterre and Muxia starting on Sep 7. We are slow walkers and plan to take some rest days, so we are planning...
I’m walking the Frances in late Oct thru November. Is a 55L osprey too large in your opinion? Thx is for suggestions. Frank
Dear all, as I intent to bring a tent I would be very grateful if you could share some of your tips on how to keep the total weight down or even your own packing list. Currently I am about to...
I have a pacemaker on my left upper chest, right where a backpack strap goes. I am considering using a large messenger bag, approximately 20 litres, and a small hip pack, less than 5 litres...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.