• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yoga on the Camino

Youren2010

Time of past OR future Camino
6/7, 2013 SJPP to Santiago-finisher-Muniz, 6/7, 2016 La Verna to Rome, 6/7/8, 2018 VDLP
I am wondering for those pilgrims who kept Yoga practice on the camino, do you bring your Yoga mat? How do you keep your Yoga practice? In order to keep the weight down, I try to cut as many things as possible. My goal is no more than 8kg, ideally 6kg, which means only essentials. I could not decide if I should bring a Yoga mat because it can also be used as a light sleeping pad. And I can take a nap under a shade whenever it is needed. But is it absolutely necessary? Will I be willing to carry it for 500 miles?

On the other hand, I will walk from June to July. I am afraid that during the peak summer seasons, I may run into a situation that there is no bed available in the Albergue, I had to sleep on the floor, or worse outside. Having my own sleeping bag will be nice, but it adds more weight, I want to bring a cotton liner instead. A liner will be too cold and uncomfortable on the floor, definitely will get wet on the grass, but the lighter the sleeping bag goes, the higher the price is. It is too expansive to get an ultra light one.

Yes, A sleeping pad is lighter and can be rolled into a smaller size, but I am not sure if it can be used for Yoga, if needs to bring Yoga Paws, which means another items.

Or simply no mat, pad, or sleeping bag, just a set of Yoga Paws for both hands? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
ommmmmmmmmmmmm and relax
I envy you and your obvious excitement planning your Camino-I don't get this anymore,I just throw a few things into a backpack and go.
always less than 6kg just a liner no mat always a bed-no worries
people practice yoga all over the Camino also meditation in quite places open fields,I try and "greet the Morning" most days,but thats just to get my back and shoulders working :D also lots of stretching stuff.
I have no idea what Yoga Paws are,but leave them anyway,just try and pack a Camino head,its difficult when its your first-but I would just do lots of Yoga before you go
reach that calm place and bring it with you-you will most certainly bring it back.
Have a great Camino Youren
Ian

It's not necessary to carry any yoga-specific equipment. Most of your practice can be done on the grass and that has the added benefit of feeling the energy that direct contact with the ground gives you. Perhaps it will mean that you will not do the same practice that you would do at home but there are likely to be other movements that appeal before or after the day's walk anyway.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great, now it is really getting towards the 6kg goal. By the way, yoga paws are pads for hands and feet prevent slippery and etc. I had to admit packing and unpacking, trying out different things, learning about different gears have become a fun for me before every trip.

Hi, Julie,
I forgot to ask, are you the one who ran the Camino and also did Yoga twice a day?

Any way, Ian and Julie, thanks for both of your advice.

Youren2010 said:
Hi, Julie,
I forgot to ask, are you the one who ran the Camino and also did Yoga twice a day?
No, that wasn't me. It seems a bit contradictory to run the Camino and then do yoga. While I tend to walk reasonably long distances, I like to let it unfold at its own pace. Sometimes I walk quickly, sometimes slowly and sometimes I stop, breathe deeply and give thanks. Whatever feels right at the time.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am interested in this same question. I have asked several friends who are yoga instructors if they are aware of any yoga mats that can double as sleeping pads, but so far no one is aware of such a product. Grass often makes me itchy, so I am hoping I can find a solution before I start the camino (June 27). I find that doing yoga after a long hike really relaxes me and also seems to prevent injury.
Rob

Yodapsy said:
I am interested in this same question. I have asked several friends who are yoga instructors if they are aware of any yoga mats that can double as sleeping pads, but so far no one is aware of such a product. Grass often makes me itchy, so I am hoping I can find a solution before I start the camino (June 27). I find that doing yoga after a long hike really relaxes me and also seems to prevent injury.
Rob
Agreed. However, when I'm walking, I tend to do a mix of things rather than a full-blown yoga routine. I take myself off to a quiet spot and do a little bit of yoga, a few stretches, even perhaps a short meditation. Whatever works with wherever I am and that I can do without disturbing anyone else.

If grass is a problem, stick to standing postures. I wouldn't take a yoga mat nor have I ever taken a sleeping mat. A mattress has always been provided on those occasions that I've slept on the floor.

I am a yoga instructor and plan on bringing a travel yoga mat and a yoga belt. My travels begin on June 16. I'll be the one doing a handstand against a tree and downward facing dog at the end of a wonderfully long day!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have seen different kinds of travel Yoga mat online or used by other travelers. Since it is designed for mobility, so it is light weight, there is one type a person used, even looks like a sheet of strong paper. It will not bring any comfort for sleep for sure, but a sheet of protection between the floor/grass and you. maybe it is good in a carpeted hotel room.

Anyway, I will definitely not to bring any mat after reading the advice here, but I am still considering bring the Yoga paws for hands/wrists protection. they are like finger less gloves, if I can cut other things to maintain 6kg, I may keep them. I have taken the whole set on my trip before. Now maybe just for hands? At least, I do not have to go out to buy them just for this trip.

I can't do hand/head stand, but I think down dog stretching will be good after a long day of carrying our backpack walking, but again we could do other types of stretching. We will just have to do with the flow.

I teach yoga in Palas de Rei, on the camino. We have classes every friday in town, at 19:15. Let me know if you're interested +34653820444 I also teach occasionally at 7:30 am in Casa do Rio (800m from the Camino Francés in Lestedo, Vilar de Donas, which has an interesting history in the Camino). I am also a thai massage pactitioner. I guarantee can give you the best Thai massage on the Camino!

I will be walking the Francés second time, this time from O Cebreiro to Santiago from Jan 4th 2019 to Jan 9th so hope we meet on the way!

I teach yoga in Palas de Rei, on the camino. We have classes every friday in town, at 19:15. Let me know if you're interested +34653820444 I also teach occasionally at 7:30 am in Casa do Rio (800m from the Camino Francés in Lestedo, Vilar de Donas, which has an interesting history in the Camino). I am also a thai massage pactitioner. I guarantee can give you the best Thai massage on the Camino!

I will be walking the Francés second time, this time from O Cebreiro to Santiago from Jan 4th 2019 to Jan 9th so hope we meet on the way!
Thanks! I have bookmarked your post.
What's your name for when I call you for my much needed massage??

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.