• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Young & Determined

travelbug97

Hello fellow Pilgrims!
My name is Jen and I am from Colorado, USA. I am only 17 and I plan to walk El Camino Frances starting in SJPdP during June of 2015 (right after I graduate from high school.) I recently joined this forum and have already learned so much. My only issue is my parents. They are extremely concerned about my decision to walk El Camino because I will be young and alone in a foreign country. What can I tell them to ease their minds, and help to convince them that I can do this? This trip is extremely important to me, and I will be heartbroken if I do not have my parents' blessings and support.
Thanks and Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey Travelbug97, welcome to the forum. I'm always in awe of someone young undertaking such a challenge as the Camino. I would have to guess that simply by the fact that you are choosing to do this, you have to have a fair amount of maturity and self confidence. However, parents will still worry. Maybe you could convince them to join you? Unless of course you want it to be a solitary experience, or maybe a test of sorts for yourself. When I walked the Camino the youngest people I met were 17 and 18yearold girls from Australia, each traveling alone. But, as you will probably find out reading posts here, you will rarely travel alone. The Camino has a way of bringing people together. You will also find that being among the youngest on the walk, and female, you will have a LOT of people (sort of parents by proxy) watching out for you. Good luck.

As a parent myself, I understand your parent's concerns. It's a natural response on their part, and it's a sign of their love and care for you, frustrating as that may be for you some times. No matter how mature you may be, they may still be concerned for the things you can't control.

I think the general consensus of those of us who have walked the Camino is that it is very safe, but that prudence is still required. Injury, theft, and worse are possible. Walking with a good friend might go a long way to helping your parents feel more comfortable. Helping them understand the Camino and the community that forms along the way may also help reduce some of their concerns (the adage, "You never walk alone" is always true spiritually and almost always true physically). To that end, there is a good documentary from Ignatius Press on DVD called The Way of Saint James, and an excellent one called Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago that will be on DVD this fall. You might also get them a good book from the experience of a pilgrim, being prudent in what you select so that you don't spook them further. If you are Catholic, there are several by priests that will present the Camino in a candid and favorable light --- Hiking the Camino: 500 Miles With Jesus by Father Dave Pivonka T.O.R and Discovering the Camino de Santiago by Rev. Greg J. Markey.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Before I walked the Camino myself I would have been worried about any younger member of my family walking it because of the unknown but now I would encourage it. You will be 18 when you walk and as koilife says you will rarely be alone on the Frances, you will meet with others in St Jean who more than likely will become part of your Camino family. You will be fine, go and enjoy, its a lifetime experience.
Buen Camino.

First of all, your 18 then, so an adult. Parent will always be concerned, even when your 21 or 29.

Lots of young people will be walking in summer and lots 'm will start alone, but Nobody is ever really alone. You will meet so many people of all different ages and they will all look out for you. Your going to connect with alot of 'm, even the older ones. Your probably even gonna find surrogate camino "parents" on your walk. Hahaha. Thats just the way it goes.

Maybe it is an idea to let your parents read some threads on this forum. Pick out a few threads about i.e. woman or young people walking alone and let them read the comments. I think chances are that they will soften up after reading how camino life actually is.

Or maybe let them join the forum and let them ask a few questions on matters that worry them alot.

Its just a thought. Whatever you tell them, they will still be worried. Thats 'cause you are their child. Try to remember that, but maybe on this forum they can have a little taste of how people on the camino interact ect....

Good luck!

Great advice, Dutch! Have your parents write to the forum and ask their questions. Any chance you have any contacts in Spain? When my daughter went to Greece at 19, the Mom was in great relief knowing she had contact info of a "friend of a friend" in Athens. "Just in case..." Although she and a friend traipsed the country alone, they did contact him when they arrived and the day they left. Gave me some peace of mind.
I would also recommend you register with the American Embassy in Spain. Although you are looked after very well and cannot get "lost" on the Camino, as a mom is gave me a sense of security as my daughter traveled the globe that authorities could get to her.
As it gets closer and they see that you are following your heart, their hearts may change. Parents want two things for their children: be happy and be safe. Remember, you are their most precious gift and they love you. Monica

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you all for your feedback! Even just reading through the threads, I am blown away by the camaraderie and support between the pilgrims, so I can only imagine how it will be to actually walk as part of that camino family.
All of your advice was great. I am planning to set up a meeting with my parents and one of my Spanish teachers who has walked the Camino before, so that they can ask her any questions that they may have. (I do speak functional Spanish.) I have also purchased John Brierley's guide to the Camino. Hopefully with as much research and thorough planning that I am going to invest, there will be no other reason for them not to let me go.
Even though I will be 18, a legal adult, at the time of my journey, I know that they will always see me as their little girl. I know that they worry, but I also know that they want me to live a full and meaningful life. By walking this Camino, that is exactly what I plan to do.
Thanks again and Buen Camino

Even though I will be 18, a legal adult, at the time of my journey, I know that they will always see me as their little girl. I know that they worry, but I also know that they want me to live a full and meaningful life. By walking this Camino, that is exactly what I plan to do.
You might be surprised at the ways you change shape in their eyes after you return.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you all for your feedback! Even just reading through the threads, I am blown away by the camaraderie and support between the pilgrims, so I can only imagine how it will be to actually walk as part of that camino family.
All of your advice was great. I am planning to set up a meeting with my parents and one of my Spanish teachers who has walked the Camino before, so that they can ask her any questions that they may have. (I do speak functional Spanish.) I have also purchased John Brierley's guide to the Camino. Hopefully with as much research and thorough planning that I am going to invest, there will be no other reason for them not to let me go.
Thanks again and Buen Camino

That sounds like a great idea, having your parents speak to your Spanish teacher who has walked the Camino before.

It sounds like you have a wonderful relationship and a loving & supportive bond with your parents that should last a lifetime.

But walking the Camino, with or without their blessing, may end up being a true passage to adulthood for you. Leaving the nest isn't just about reaching a particular chronological age. It's about making decisions that we know are right for ourselves, even if those decisions sadden, frighten or disappoint our parents or others.

It sounds like you have parents that you love and will love you regardless, and that is blessing enough.

But walking the Camino, with or without their blessing, may end up being a true passage to adulthood for you. Leaving the nest isn't just about reaching a particular chronological age. It's about making decisions that we know are right for ourselves, even if those decisions sadden, frighten or disappoint our parents or others.
Completely agreed. The challenge of course is that we also bear responsibility for the decisions we make. Leaving the nest in one area implies leaving it in so many others. If Mom and Dad's checkbook is needed to pay for the trip (likely for a high school graduate), then they retain a measure of control and influence in the decision. The ultimate rite of passage is when we make our decisions (and pay for them in every sense, including possible parental disappointment) because we are truly standing on our own without either their blessing or consent. Until that point, negotiation and concession may be required (along with a good word from one's former Spanish teacher . . .).

On the way to Finnestere two young German women passed me with lots of balloons tied to their packs, when I asked why they explained that one of them had her 18th birthday that day. They had started in SJPdP several weeks earlier and had a great time walking the camino. What your parents maybe don't realize is that tens of thousands of young people travel through Europe every summer, I spent four months hosteling around Europe when I was seventeen, and this was seen as quite normal by my family and friends. As a parent myself I know I would be concerned if my young daughter wanted to go alone, only because parents will always worry over their children, but I would be pleased for her and encourage her to do it. Closer to the time you could put your details on the forum calender and see who is leaving at the same time and possibly correspond with fellow walkers before you go, this may reassure your parents that you will have people with you as you walk. When I walked the Norte last year my "camino family" included a young Swiss woman who was at least 30 years younger than me, but she was a valued member of our group and will remain a life long friend. You will meet up with lots of people and as said above will not be alone unless you choose to be. If you text your parent each evening, they will know that you are fine.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Having walked the Camino Frances once by myself and as the mother of a daughter who turns 18 today (!) I would be happy--thrilled even--to let my daughter walk by herself. However, I would discuss/plan for some things before she went (albeit my daughter is a fairly experienced traveler and I don't know if you are). I don't mean to say that you will need to do these things, just that they are what would make me, the mom, feel comfortable. Here they are:
1) I would send her with about $200 Euros cash. I usually just get Euros at an airport ATM in the first place we land, but a young woman traveling alone should have more of a safety cushion, I think. Of course, I'd send her with a debit card with 4 digit PIN, AND a credit card as well.
2) I would have her bring a smart phone with International calling enabled and both Viber and WhatsApp loaded. I would ask her to contact me everyday and encourage her to just call on days when she couldn't get sufficient WiFi to do so for free. The occasional ~$1 for a short one minute call would be worth it. I wouldn't be comfortable waiting for her figure out how to get a new SIM card or purchase a new phone upon her arrival.
3) I would be sure she knew what having one glass of wine (maybe even two) with dinner felt like so she could decide for herself if she could be aware and alert enough after that or if she would prefer not to drink. US kids sometimes only have experience drinking to get drunk, which of course you wouldn't do on Camino, right? :)
4) I would counsel her to reserve some energy for the unknown. The biggest difference I noticed between the young and the old(er) pilgrims during my walk was that the young were much more likely to push themselves to their absolute limits, and sometimes that caused them to end up in difficult situations. Twice I helped young women to albergues when they were too sick or exhausted or both to get there themselves. Take time off if you are sick, and don't walk to the point of utter exhaustion, even if it means you have to use transport other than your own feet to make it to your flight home. You can often call a taxi even, if needed!
5) I'd ask her to pay attention to her own radar for danger. If a situation makes you uncomfortable, find a way out of it right away and don't second guess yourself. It only happened to me once on the Camino (entering the city park on the way out of Burgos in the dark), but I'm very glad I waited outside the gates for a British pilgrim couple to walk with. Maybe nothing would have happened, but my radar went off and I listened so nothing did happen.
6) Most of all though, whether she went at 18 or 58, I'd want my daughter to have fun and be open to all that the Camino would bring her, and that is my wish for you too!

Hi, travelbug97,

I think that if everyone your age walked the Camin0 this world would be quite a different place. I hope you tell us how it went once you have walked.

Like Piccata, I'm a mom and can understand what your parents will be going through as they watch you vanish into the Camino. I agree wholeheartedly with what Piccata says, except perhaps for #2, which was the recommendation that you call home every day. I think that is more for our comfort than for the safety of our child. The Camino is one of the safest places on the planet. For a young adult on the Camino, I think the parents can be confident that "no news is good news" and leave it to the young adult to find her way. Having the "burden" of calling home hanging over your head every night can really take away from the experience, IMO. More than that, if the parents have the expectation that you will be calling home every night, they will frequently be frantic for no reason.

I may have a slightly different perspective, because it was my son and not my daughter who walked the Camino alone at age 19. I recognize the obvious differences in terms of physical safety. But in many ways, our fears would be the same. We didn't hear from our son for days and days on end, and it was my husband (who hasn't walked the Camino) who was anxious. I was able to relax knowing that we would be notified if anything had happened, and that the Camino just isn't always conducive to calling home, and that the Camino is one of the world's safest places. You are in Spain, you are not out in the wilderness. I don't mean to sound morbid here, but if you have your ID on you and something happens, your parents will know about it.

I know this is a very personal thing to work out between parent and child, but I think that there are frequently frantic relatives out there waiting for their loved one to call, while the peregrino/a is oblivious to the drama. I wish you a very happy camino, Laurie

Parental anxiety is more about parents than children. What characteristics will you have at 25 that you don't have at 18 (except seven years)? You may be having some first time experiences earlier, but you have enough time now to think through the ways you will handle tribulations, such as an ATM swallowing your card or breaking a leg. One legitimate concern of a parent is the way your naivete might be exploited (seven years does have a way of eliminating some naivete). I doubt that a parent worries about their daughter being short-changed at a restaurant. They do worry about lotharios, male and female. Even at 18 you have some experience in the ways of exploitation. Expect to encounter some on the Camino. I have seen middle age men and women shamelessly harassing younger women. Quite frankly it is usually obvious to other pilgrims, and it should be obvious to you. A local may also take an abnormal interest in you, and some have been known to follow girls for several days. Get help from fellow pilgrims if this happens to you. Not all of those who will try to be your surrogate parent will have your interests at heart. One challenge will be to determine who are true friends and who are false friends. While age is one factor, it is not the only one. Ditto gender. Exploiters come in all ages and both sexes, so "trust, but verify." Inebriation can make you extremely vulnerable, so avoid it.

Making daily contact is hard to do sometimes, and parental anxiety skyrockets when there is a missed expected call. Once a week is a good "expectation," then if it is more frequent, everyone is delighted. Time zones are a barrier for many pilgrims, though the cell phone has nearly cured that problem. When a pilgrim had to find a working public phone in the "old days" to find someone awake nine time zones away, it was a major inconvenience. So a phone is useful for both emergencies (dial 112 in all of Europe) and routine communication. You will want international service with your current carrier, or an unlocked GSM phone for inserting a SIM card for Spain. Beware large costs in some cases, so research is required.

Knowledge is power. Get plenty before you leave. Buen camino.

I agree wholeheartedly with what Piccata says, except perhaps for #2, which was the recommendation that you call home every day. I think that is more for our comfort than for the safety of our child. The Camino is one of the safest places on the planet. For a young adult on the Camino, I think the parents can be confident that "no news is good news" and leave it to the young adult to find her way. Having the "burden" of calling home hanging over your head every night can really take away from the experience, IMO. More than that, if the parents have the expectation that you will be calling home every night, they will frequently be frantic for no reason.

I may have a slightly different perspective, because it was my son and not my daughter who walked the Camino alone at age 19. I recognize the obvious differences in terms of physical safety. But in many ways, our fears would be the same. We didn't hear from our son for days and days on end, and it was my husband (who hasn't walked the Camino) who was anxious. I was able to relax knowing that we would be notified if anything had happened, and that the Camino just isn't always conducive to calling home, and that the Camino is one of the world's safest places. You are in Spain, you are not out in the wilderness. I don't mean to sound morbid here, but if you have your ID on you and something happens, your parents will know about it.

I know this is a very personal thing to work out between parent and child, but I think that there are frequently frantic relatives out there waiting for their loved one to call, while the peregrino/a is oblivious to the drama. I wish you a very happy camino, Laurie

Laurie, I agree. We allowed our darling 15 year old (nearly 16) daughter to travel from Australia to Brazil to spend a year as an exchange student. We had infrequent communication from her because she was busy and living the moment and learning to meet her own needs. She did not need us. The only time she was really in trouble she rang us immediately (2am Australian time) - "Mum I'm stuck in Manaus because some politician has been given my seat on the plane and I don't know what to do" - and of course we swung into action and were able to sort things out.
If parents expect a child to call then it causes enormous anxiety when they don't. It is unrealistic (in my view) to think an 18 year old will call her parents every night. It is not in the nature of kids that age to have much concern about their parents feelings, or even to communicate with parents (at home - let alone from the other side of the world.). Of course there are exceptions but I'm speaking here from my experience as a hosting coordinator of a large student exchange program, as well as a parent.
I guess my relaxed attitude is partly because from the age of 13 I travelled by myself frequently, from school in Australia to home in South America via various different routes. It was a pretty unpredictable and difficult journey 40 years ago. I had to be independent and rely on myself and I could and did - and enjoyed it.
Because of the need for education our children have, I think, a very protracted dependency on their parents. There is nothing wrong with that but it sometimes means we don't recognise their capabilities.
Time for me to get off the soapbox - this is far more than was called for by our young friend!

My only issue is my parents. They are extremely concerned about my decision to walk El Camino because I will be young and alone in a foreign country. What can I tell them to ease their minds, and help to convince them that I can do this?

Jen, it would not be the same if your parents walked the whole Camino with you, but what about one of them doing just the first few days?
That would, I'm sure, provide the best reassurance for them.

Jen, it would not be the same if your parents walked the whole Camino with you, but what about one of them doing just the first few days?
That would, I'm sure, provide the best reassurance for them.
Kanga:
While this is a lovely suggestion, it is unfortunately a bit unrealistic for my family because we would not be able to afford it.
As koilife pointed out, this trip is all about my independence and exploring of myself as an individual. It is about "leaving the nest" and becoming my own person. In keeping with that theme, I feel that this journey can only be made on my own.

The advice about keeping in contact, however, is duly noted. I will definitely be arranging some way for me to reach my parents along the camino, although it most likely will not be every day. If I promise to call at least once a week, I believe that this is often enough to check in and let them know that I am safe, yet still leave plenty of freedom for myself.

In regards to falcon269's comment about harassment, I understand that this is a distinct possibility. However, I trust myself to recognize when I am feeling uncomfortable and to be able to take action accordingly to ensure that I am safe.

Thanks to everyone for offering their words of wisdom! As many have said, nobody truly walks alone on the camino, and if the pilgrims that I meet are as caring and concerned as all of you, then I know that this will hold true for me as well.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for offering their words of wisdom! As many have said, nobody truly walks alone on the camino, and if the pilgrims that I meet are as caring and concerned as all of you, then I know that this will hold true for me as well.

I hope you are able to reach a happy agreement with your parents Jen. Buen Camino!

Just thought I would update! My parents and I have discussed it further and come to a compromise. Instead of walking alone, I will be finding a friend to take the journey with me. This will put my parents' minds at ease, and allow me to share this experience.

My dad is even going with me tomorrow to try on backpacks at the store! I'm glad it's all working out.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dear Travelbug97,

I (56) am on Camino now with my sweet 21 year old daughter.

Traveling alone would be an amazing gift to yourself.

Walking with someone you are comfortable with is a nearly unspeakable joy.
Being with someone you know during the periods of darkness or fear will bring all new possibilities.

ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1402381999.052986.jpg

And your Momma will have joy knowing you can troubleshoot with a friend!
Linda

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My parents were really worried about me travelling anywhere alone. When I was 18 they went on holiday and left me at home. The next day I packed a rucksack and set off, posting the keys to the house through the letterbox so that I'd burn my bridges. I had no choice but to keep going forward, crossed Europe and ended up in Yugoslavia just as the civil war was beginning.

Not very helpful as advice goes, I'm afraid. I've always had a rebellious streak :)

To me, the most important thing is convincing them that travel, especially simple, rough travel, is the greatest education any young person will receive. Every ÂŁ500 spent on the road is worth every ÂŁ5000 spent at university. Maybe more.

There is risk but there is risk everywhere. They say most violent crime happens in the victims' own homes. Far safer being outside!

Your parents can forbid it, disapprove, complain loudly, argue, worry, whatever. But they cant stop you. If you're determined to go then you need to make them understand they can either make your departure happy or sad. How? No idea! That's up to you!

Your parents can forbid it, disapprove, complain loudly, argue, worry, whatever. But they cant stop you. If you're determined to go then you need to make them understand they can either make your departure happy or sad. How? No idea! That's up to you!
I don't disagree with the truth of this, but I think it's not an absolute perspective. One must be fully prepared to "mail their keys" or "burn their boats" (pick your metaphor) to pursue it.

In the US, we have a term---playing chicken---which is when two cars drive straight at each other at high speed to see who swerves first (that is, chickens out). That kind of behavior fills politics and workplaces, and it is often non-productive or even destructive. If one is determined enough to play chicken with his/her parents, to defy them and disregard their wishes, then one needs to be prepared to accept the consequences of that. If one of my son's is man enough to tell me, "I don't care what you think or what you want, I'm doing what I want," then he should likewise be man enough to live on his own, pay his own bills, work his way through college, and so forth. There is no, "But Dad, I still want you to pay for my lifestyle even though you no longer have a say in it and I plan to live it in a way I know you don't like." In the workplace, the same kind of defiant behavior by an employee to one's employer will result in consequences from reprimand up to getting fired. In the military, it results in court-marshal. A business that does that with its customers goes bankrupt. Do it with the law and it could result in fines or prison time. In marriage, it can lead to divorce.

I applaud @travelbug97 for working to find a compromise with her parents, rather than simply giving them an ultimatum. She has found a collaborative way to pursue her goal without burning her bridges. THAT is a skill to praise and to encourage for life. As a parent, I believe it's also a skill that demonstrates my child has the maturity to handle greater responsibility and independence, which is something I want for their flourishing.

Last edited:
Go easy on your parents and strive for compromise. My mother is very worried about me walking the camino alone - and I'm 47. I am still walking alone, but I promised to check in often. I'm her little one no matter how old I am.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm saying quite the opposite to giving them an ultimatum. The reality is if she is determined then she will go and her parents can either make that a happy or sad occasion. The OP needs to win her parents round to making it a positive experience. To just say "I'm going, do what you like" is an ultimatum. To spend a few months working on making her parents accept that a. she needs to go and b. that it is a positive is a far better option. Making them understand that this is a major turning point in her life is a good thing.

I like that approach Stuart-
Work as long as it takes for all of them to accept each other's perspective.

Diplomacy and conversation are serving me and my daughter well on Camino right now.

As daughter and I head into the next 75 km of relentless Castilian plains, leaving Carrion de Los Condes in the am, sharing perspectives will be key.

I'm saying quite the opposite to giving them an ultimatum. The reality is if she is determined then she will go and her parents can either make that a happy or sad occasion. The OP needs to win her parents round to making it a positive experience. To just say "I'm going, do what you like" is an ultimatum. To spend a few months working on making her parents accept that a. she needs to go and b. that it is a positive is a far better option. Making them understand that this is a major turning point in her life is a good thing.
Sorry. I misunderstood your earlier post. I agree completely with this.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Camino is a wonderful place and I saw many young people walking the trail and truly enjoying themselves. But please be very careful young lady, the Camino may be a marvelous thing with some of the most fantastic people I've ever met, but it does exist in this wide world and a beautiful young girl also can be a desirable commodity for nefarious people. Don't trust anyone too much.

I'll be finishing the last half of the Camino Frances next June with my (then will be) 18 year old great nephew.

Hi. First congratulations in wanting to do the camino. It's amazing that someone so young is determined to do it.
I am a parent and I did it with 3 other men my age in our 50's. It can be intimidating.
There is always a time for everyone to do this walk. Remember you have your whole life ahead of you. That said you yourself will know why you want to do this walk at this time. Pray about it and the answer will come as to whether this is the right time to do it.
Some of the things you could do to alleviate your parents fears would be to plan your route meticulously. That is on a day by day sequence. Know exactly where you are going to stay and book all your accommodation in advance. This you should do as you will be alone and your parents have at least some assurance.
Next you should consider renting a satellite phone as a backup. Of course there is network coverage in Spain . But certain areas there aren't.
Plan your walks so that you do about 15 to 20 km a day and no more.
Promise to call your parents twice a day.
See if a friend will come with you.
Lastly pray with your parents about this trip. As I said the answer will come.
Good luck. Buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The best way to assure them that you will be alright would be to let them share the experience first hand, as some of the forum members have suggested.

Some of the things you could do to alleviate your parents fears would be to plan your route meticulously. That is on a day by day sequence. Know exactly where you are going to stay and book all your accommodation in advance. This you should do as you will be alone and your parents have at least some assurance....

Plan your walks so that you do about 15 to 20 km a day and no more.
Promise to call your parents twice a day.

I disagree with this post. First, as Laurie and others said above, it is not realistic to set your parents up with the expectation that you will constantly be in touch. You need to work out with them how often is often enough to set their minds at ease but also to allow you to be fully engaged in what you are doing. Setting them up with a daily expectation is only going to lead to panic on the days when you know things are going so smoothly that it never even occurs to you that they might be worrying.

Plan your first few days but do not get locked into a schedule that you have to figure out before you even experience the realities of daily life on the Camino!

I think the post quoted below is very wise.
Having walked the Camino Frances once by myself and as the mother of a daughter who turns 18 today (!) I would be happy--thrilled even--to let my daughter walk by herself. However, I would discuss/plan for some things before she went (albeit my daughter is a fairly experienced traveler and I don't know if you are). I don't mean to say that you will need to do these things, just that they are what would make me, the mom, feel comfortable. Here they are:
1) I would send her with about $200 Euros cash. I usually just get Euros at an airport ATM in the first place we land, but a young woman traveling alone should have more of a safety cushion, I think. Of course, I'd send her with a debit card with 4 digit PIN, AND a credit card as well.
2) I would have her bring a smart phone with International calling enabled and both Viber and WhatsApp loaded. I would ask her to contact me everyday and encourage her to just call on days when she couldn't get sufficient WiFi to do so for free. The occasional ~$1 for a short one minute call would be worth it. I wouldn't be comfortable waiting for her figure out how to get a new SIM card or purchase a new phone upon her arrival.
3) I would be sure she knew what having one glass of wine (maybe even two) with dinner felt like so she could decide for herself if she could be aware and alert enough after that or if she would prefer not to drink. US kids sometimes only have experience drinking to get drunk, which of course you wouldn't do on Camino, right? :)
4) I would counsel her to reserve some energy for the unknown. The biggest difference I noticed between the young and the old(er) pilgrims during my walk was that the young were much more likely to push themselves to their absolute limits, and sometimes that caused them to end up in difficult situations. Twice I helped young women to albergues when they were too sick or exhausted or both to get there themselves. Take time off if you are sick, and don't walk to the point of utter exhaustion, even if it means you have to use transport other than your own feet to make it to your flight home. You can often call a taxi even, if needed!
5) I'd ask her to pay attention to her own radar for danger. If a situation makes you uncomfortable, find a way out of it right away and don't second guess yourself. It only happened to me once on the Camino (entering the city park on the way out of Burgos in the dark), but I'm very glad I waited outside the gates for a British pilgrim couple to walk with. Maybe nothing would have happened, but my radar went off and I listened so nothing did happen.
6) Most of all though, whether she went at 18 or 58, I'd want my daughter to have fun and be open to all that the Camino would bring her, and that is my wish for you too!

€46,-
One thing that we decided before Terry walked was that he would try to send a simple text message most days and it worked well. There were some days when he had no signal so there was no text. Otheres with a good signal and I responded we were able to talk briefly - about once a week or 10 days. There was even the wonderful occasion when he sent the text but, by mistake, to our landline number. It was really funny listening to the computerised voice trying to pronounce the Spanish place name. It tok me a while to realise it was Terry's text, then he sent me a proper one and I finally knew where he was staying. :D
The point of this being - contact is good, but doesn't always work as expected.

The point of this being - contact is good, but doesn't always work as expected.
A big difference is that Tia Valeria knew to take silence in stride. Your parents may panic if they don't get an expected call. There are a half dozen threads in the Forum of people looking for people, and it has always been a case of no cell signal or no computer, or simply having too much fun. I suggest that no one send out the Saint Bernards until two weeks have passed.;)

Satellite phone is highly unlikely to be necessary. Orange has great coverage for cheap. As a parent of a now 31 year old globetrotting daughter, I get the concern. Assuming you have established yourself as a responsible person, understand you are not alone on the camino. Most of the young people I see here walk alone during the day, but we are all together at the albergue.

Heading westward on the norte

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back