• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alert Young female pilgrims, be cautious of an American pilgrim

Topics realted to Hazards on the camino de Santiago
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
I am doubting a bit if I should post this, so moderators please remove my post if you think it is inappropiate. On Thursday I was hiking with a (female) friend in Asturias. The last few kilometers we walked on the Norte. In Villahormes we met an American pigrim in his late forties, named Todd.

He was very eager to get in touch with us, but I thought he might just have been a bit lonely, walking the Camino in November and not speaking the language. While talking (telling us how hard it was to find cheap lodging and that he was a bit exhausted and desperate), he said he needed to stretch his back. He positioned himself with his back on a round stone my friend was standing next to, which made him look almost straight underneath her shorts. We found that a bit weird, but thought it was just a clumsy action.

We met him again in Nueva and helped him to get lodging there. He gave us his instagram account and my friend looked it up and started following him on instagram. Late at night she got pushy messages from him, asking her to come over to meet him. When she declined, he kept on nagging. She told him his behaviour was creepy. His response: 'Better than lame'. Then she blocked him. Google search led to a couple of news articles about him harrassing and punching a young woman in a bar in 2019.

All in all, this is just not the kind of guy I would like to end up with in a dorm as a young female pilgrim.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am doubting a bit if I should post this, so moderators please remove my post if you think it is inappropiate. On Thursday I was hiking with a (female) friend in Asturias. The last few kilometers we walked on the Norte. In Villahormes we met an American pigrim in his late forties, named Todd.

He was very eager to get in touch with us, but I thought he might just have been a bit lonely, walking the Camino in November and not speaking the language. While talking (telling us how hard it was to find cheap lodging and that he was a bit exhausted and desperate), he said he needed to stretch his back. He positioned himself with his back on a round stone my friend was standing next to, which made him look almost straight underneath her shorts. We found that a bit weird, but thought it was just a clumsy action.

We met him again in Nueva and helped him to get lodging there. He gave us his instagram account and my friend looked it up and started following him on instagram. Late at night she started to get pushy messages from him, asking her to come over to meet him. When she declined, he kept on nagging. She told him his behaviour was creepy. His resonse: 'Better than lame'. Then she blocked him. Google search led to a couple of news articles about him harrassing and punching a young woman in a bar in 2019.

All in all, this is just not the kind of guy I would like to end up with in a dorm as a young female pilgrim.
Block him, and thanks for alert for other possible unsuspecting walkers, although more walk than are members of this forum. Use that other portal, fb, if you are on it.

Thank you @Luka for informing us.
Not someone you want to have in your dorm.
Creepy and unaccepted behaviour from this man.
And now with season slowing down..brr... god knows what he gets up to.
I wonder if the punching in 2019 let to an official police complaint?
Luckily Todd is not that smart seeing he is easily traceable on the internet.

Stay safe!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you @Luka for informing us.
Not someone you want to have in your dorm.
Creepy and unaccepted behaviour from this man.
And now with season slowing down..brr... god knows what he gets up to.
I wonder if the punching in 2019 let to an official police complaint?
Luckily Todd is not that smart seeing he is easily traceable on the internet.

Stay safe!

This is one of the articles (I deleted some parts for privacy reasons):

A (...) man allegedly harassed and groped a woman repeatedly Saturday night at a downtown bar, then assaulted her when she pushed back against his advances, according to a police report.

The actions by (...) — which allegedly included trying to slap and punch the woman in the face — earned him the scorn of the other patrons at (...).

“He can’t get away with that,” one person said to police, according to the report. “I hope you rot in jail,” another said as (...) was being led out of the bar by police.

The 28-year-old victim in the case said (...) followed her around all night trying to flirt with her, and that she eventually told him to leave her alone.

“(The woman) then told me that (...) smacked her ‘ass,’” the police report states. “After (...) hit (her) in the buttocks, (the woman) pushed him away.”

He then allegedly tried to “full-blown smack me” in the face with an open hand, the alleged victim told police, according to the report.

“(The woman) then tried to tackle him,” the report states. “He grabbed (her) by the hair, pulled her to the ground and tried to punch her in the face with a closed fist.”

Other people in the club then stepped in and pulled him off the woman, the report states.

(...) “was heavily intoxicated” and unable to communicate with officers, according to the report. He became increasingly belligerent with a police officer and eventually was arrested and taken to (...) jail.

He was charged with third-degree assault and unlawful sexual contact, both misdemeanors.

Block him, and thanks for alert for other possible unsuspecting walkers, although more walk than are members of this forum. Use that other portal, fb, if you are on it.
I thought about FB, but I was just wondering if I would expose him too much that way.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is one of the articles (I deleted some parts for privacy reasons):

A (...) man allegedly harassed and groped a woman repeatedly Saturday night at a downtown bar, then assaulted her when she pushed back against his advances, according to a police report.

The actions by (...) — which allegedly included trying to slap and punch the woman in the face — earned him the scorn of the other patrons at (...).

“He can’t get away with that,” one person said to police, according to the report. “I hope you rot in jail,” another said as (...) was being led out of the bar by police.

The 28-year-old victim in the case said (...) followed her around all night trying to flirt with her, and that she eventually told him to leave her alone.

“(The woman) then told me that (...) smacked her ‘ass,’” the police report states. “After (...) hit (her) in the buttocks, (the woman) pushed him away.”

He then allegedly tried to “full-blown smack me” in the face with an open hand, the alleged victim told police, according to the report.

“(The woman) then tried to tackle him,” the report states. “He grabbed (her) by the hair, pulled her to the ground and tried to punch her in the face with a closed fist.”

Other people in the club then stepped in and pulled him off the woman, the report states.

(...) “was heavily intoxicated” and unable to communicate with officers, according to the report. He became increasingly belligerent with a police officer and eventually was arrested and taken to (...) jail.

He was charged with third-degree assault and unlawful sexual contact, both misdemeanors.
Intoxication. Excuse. Not acceptable.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
She told him his behaviour was creepy. His response: 'Better than lame"

This Todd character.....he doesn't sound too bright.

Reminds me of a similar (albeit less creepy) instance on the Frances 4 years ago, I had a brief encounter with a man in his forties in Santa Catalina de Somoza. I was sitting outside the cafe enjoying my coffee early one morning, minding my business. Next to me I noticed a pilgrim arranging his backpack and....for some reason I just immediately did not like this guy at all. I thought "maybe I just need more coffee and I won't be so crabby". After a few minutes he asked me a question (forgot what it was), I gave a one-word answer, and he brightened up and said "oh, you speak English!". Which....irritated me even more for some reason. I said yes and continued nursing my coffee, thinking that was it.

He puts on his backpack, gets out his phone, comes over to me, sticks his face right next to mine and holds his phone in front of us to take a photo and says "cheese!" I immediately pushed him away and said "what are you doing? I don't even know you". He gave a feeble answer, honestly I forgot what it was, but something like "just trying to be friendly" and I said "well you know what, feel free to ask next time". There was no introduction of names, for obvious safety reasons I wasn't keen on a photo of my face on a stranger's phone, and for him to all of a sudden swoop into my personal space without any warning, trying to take a selfie was just too much for me at 7am.

*disclaimer, I'm American, as was this guy, so there was no cultural misunderstanding. Which is why I felt very comfortable checking his audacity (ok, I relished it haha). I think he was very surprised at my reaction.

I later found out through another female pilgrim that had he had a habit of latching onto other women on the camino, first being friendly, then acting as if they had all of a sudden "paired up". Weird guy.

But my gut/intuition was right, and I guess that's the takeaway from my comment to women. Don't be paranoid, but always always always trust your gut.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

We met him again in Nueva and helped him to get lodging there. He gave us his instagram account and my friend looked it up and started following him on instagram. Late at night she got pushy messages from him, asking her to come over to meet him. When she declined, he kept on nagging. She told him his behaviour was creepy. His response: 'Better than lame'. Then she blocked him. Google search led to a couple of news articles about him harrassing and punching a young woman in a bar in 2019.

Just like everyday life, there are nasty people on the Camino too...take care of yourselves,,,

And I was just thinking to myself...hmmm...the Camino is so safe. Of course this can be encountered anywhere. Good to be aware always. Be safe.

""Young" female pilgrims beware"... why only young women? Do you believe this man would not harass a middle-aged or older woman? As a not-so-very young woman, I can vouch that it isn't only young women who are ever harassed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I hate that you’ve experienced this on your camino. If you’re able, I would consider stopping/resting for a few days so you don’t cross paths with him again. (It does seem that we keep running into a lot of the same people along the way.) I don’t like that this has to effect your journey, but safety is paramount.

""Young" female pilgrims beware"... why only young women? Do you believe this man would not harass a middle-aged or older woman? As a not-so-very young woman, I can vouch that it isn't only young women who are ever harassed.
I don't believe OP meant to imply only young women get harassed, especially considering she's a woman herself.

I don't believe OP meant to imply only young women get harassed, especially considering she's a woman herself.
I don't think the OP thought about it (and I do appreciate the warning in the post). It is usually an unconscious bias to exclude older woman. As women age, they disappear--at least in the US--and not including them as a possible target of harassment along with young women is a perfect example of this. You might not understand the concept of disappearing -- many do not and I personally never realized it myself until after I was no longer young. I really hope not to argue whether or not it is true. I only wanted to point it out in this instance to create awareness. I do not mean to take away from the OP's message.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't think the OP thought about it (and I do appreciate the warning in the post). It is usually an unconscious bias to exclude older woman. As women age, they disappear--at least in the US--and not including them as a possible target of harassment along with young women is a perfect example of this. You might not understand the concept of disappearing -- many do not and I personally never realized it myself until after I was no longer young. I really hope not to argue whether or not it is true. I only wanted to point it out in this instance to create awareness. I do not mean to take away from the OP's message.
Ok.

True - but I know from experience that if the choice is between me and a 20- something then I may as well not exist. And often younger women have yet to build the confidence and assertiveness to tell guys to f…. off when needed.

True - but I know from experience that if the choice is between me and a 20- something then I may as well not exist. And often younger women have yet to build the confidence and assertiveness to tell guys to f…. off when needed.

Yep.

.... which made him look almost straight underneath her shorts. We found that a bit weird, but thought it was just a clumsy action.

It takes a certain amount of life experience to know immediately that this behaviour is neither clumsy nor a coincidence.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As a 65 year old, I was hit on, pinched and butt-slapped by that 80-something year old guy who used to prowl around the plaza in Castrojeriz for this purpose. That's the only time, fortunately, I experienced anything like this on the Camino. Certainly being older isn't complete protection against being seen as prey in some way, but I will tell you, I feel a lot safer as an older female than I did when I was in my 20s, hitchhiking around Spain. Whole different experience and one of the only good reasons to be old.

As a 65 year old, I was hit on, pinched and butt-slapped by that 80-something year old guy who used to prowl around the plaza in Castrojeriz for this purpose. That's the only time, fortunately, I experienced anything like this on the Camino. Certainly being older isn't complete protection against being seen as prey in some way, but I will tell you, I feel a lot safer as an older female than I did when I was in my 20s, hitchhiking around Spain. Whole different experience and one of the only good reasons to be old.
If you are no longer hitchhiking around, that may be the reason that you are more safe today -- and not because you are older. Older hitchhikers may be less safe than younger ones, because older people are more easily overpowered than are young people.

Thank you. People mistakenly think that sexual assault happens primarily to young attractive women, when anyone - female or male can be a victim. Perpetrators don't necessarily care what the victim looks like.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I agree with many of the comments pointing out young vs. older women, but want to point out that perhaps OP's intent was to underscore youth, as in: young = not a lot of life experience/more vulnerable. I can tell you in my twenties, even into my thirties, I would often nervously laugh or freeze in the face of male predatory behavior/gross comments. Back then I was concerned about NOT ruffling feathers. God forbid I'm labeled a b*tch, or that I have "no sense of humor". Trust me, I've heard it all.

However, my experience with the random selfie-taker was 4 years ago (I was 45), so this guy wasn't concerned with age, YET I wonder if a 22 year old would have had the gut immediate instinct to push away another pilgrim taking a selfie. Like I said, I wasn't concerned about his feelings. But would I have done the same at 25? I don't think so....

Perpetrators don't necessarily care what the victim looks like.

Yes exactly, sexual assault is about power.

Can you please share what you posted on Camigas, as I am not on that FB page, but am on 2 other FB pages that are for women walking a Camino. Mainly for older women, but still important information for them to know.
Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you are no longer hitchhiking around, that may be the reason that you are more safe today -- and not because you are older. Older hitchhikers may be less safe than younger ones, because older people are more easily overpowered than are young people.
My experience in Spain in my 20s was completely different from my experience in recent years. Maybe Spain has changed along with me aging. In the early 1970s, I was followed when I walked around Madrid, groped on buses and trains, hassled everywhere. Not anymore; I'm not saying risk isn't there, but I find Spanish people to be practically always friendly and respectful to me now. When they aren't ignoring me completely, which - like C Clearly - I am absolutely fine with, too!

Last edited:
I agree with many of the comments pointing out young vs. older women, but want to point out that perhaps OP's intent was to underscore youth, as in: young = not a lot of life experience/more vulnerable. I can tell you in my twenties, even into my thirties, I would often nervously laugh or freeze in the face of male predatory behavior/gross comments. Back then I was concerned about NOT ruffling feathers. God forbid I'm labeled a b*tch, or that I have "no sense of humor". Trust me, I've heard it all.

However, my experience with the random selfie-taker was 4 years ago (I was 45), so this guy wasn't concerned with age, YET I wonder if a 22 year old would have had the gut immediate instinct to push away another pilgrim taking a selfie. Like I said, I wasn't concerned about his feelings. But would I have done the same at 25? I don't think so....

Yes exactly, sexual assault is about power.
As a 22 year old, I was asleep (out on the deck; all I could afford) on an overnight boat to Ibiza when a guy wiggled in next to me and started running his hands up my thigh. I kicked him in the stomach and then so hard in the shin I think I might have broken his leg. I was stupid and naive (especially hitchhiking alone) when I was young, but I don't know that I'd say I was too vulnerable.

I agree with you. But this particular man seems to go after young women in particular.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I hate that you’ve experienced this on your camino. If you’re able, I would consider stopping/resting for a few days so you don’t cross paths with him again. (It does seem that we keep running into a lot of the same people along the way.) I don’t like that this has to effect your journey, but safety is paramount.
Thank you! But don't worry, I am not walking the Camino at the moment. I just live close to the Camino del Norte and happened to hike there that day.

I know about the concept of disappearing. I am 49.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Can you please share what you posted on Camigas, as I am not on that FB page, but am on 2 other FB pages that are for women walking a Camino. Mainly for older women, but still important information for them to know.
Thanks.
I don't know Camigas, but this is what I posted in the Camino del Norte FB group:

Just a heads-up about an American pilgrim in his forties, named Todd. We met him on the Norte on November 9 in between Villahormes and Nueva. He behaved pushy and creepy to a (female) friend of mine. A simple search on Google lead to a news article about him harassing a young woman in a bar in 2019. So young female pilgrims on the Norte, be cautious if you meet him.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.