• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPDP to Bayonne - route map?

ottoline

Time of past OR future Camino
april 24 del norte
Hi - does anyone know of a route guide for walking from SJPDP to Bayonne? (rather than from Bayonne to SJPDP). i'm starting on the puy and want to link to the norte via Bayonne....

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Not quite what you are looking for, as the routes do not go to Bayonne.

But the Cicerone guide to Via Podensis/Le Puy route has guides to two routes from SJPdP to Hendaye/Irun for Le Puy walkers wanting to continue on Norte. One is the GR10. The other less mountainous route, is the Voie Nive Bidassoa.

I have not walked either path, but there is a published guide for them.

A detailed French account Liason Roncescalles-Irun, describes walking from near Roncesvalles to Irun following in part the east-west Spanish GR11 trail, local trails and lanes.

For personal/non commercial use I have abstracted and translated into English sections from the French site Liason Roncesvalles-Irun.

If you would like a pdf copy of this translation please PM me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi - does anyone know of a route guide for walking from SJPDP to Bayonne? (rather than from Bayonne to SJPDP). i'm starting on the puy and want to link to the norte via Bayonne....
If you are coming off the Puy why on earth would you want to walk to St Jean before walking backwards to Bayonne. There’s a perfectly good route from Ostabat. Godgle or any other routing app will sort you in

@ottoline I can understand why you would like to walk to / visit SJPP. Many, probably most, who walk from Le puy do just that. In fact the path from Ostabat to SJPP is picturesque. No need to be put off if that’s what you’d like to do.

There are forum members who’ve walked the Voie de la Nive - perhaps one or two will chime in - and from memory the pilgrim office in SJPP has information including a map and list of accommodation. Perhaps @Monasp will confirm.

Bon chemin and buen camino. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Walked it from the Biarritz/Bayonne airport to SJPdP - lovely walk through Basque Country! I did a LIVE forum update which you can find searching under my name and there are various guides out there in French, but they were outdated when I walked. I would think that the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP would have updated info, but as suggested, a good mapping program will get you through the parts that are poorly waymarked (especially because you are walking in reverse)

I walked from SjdP to Irun in 2022. In the pilgrimsoffice in SjdP they had a routedescription but it was only an amorphous unstructured block of text. I found the routefinding sometimes difficult and confusing also due to many different markings from local routes. In the end it was no big problem.
I stayed in a gite in Bidarray, in a private gite from Andy Bleu ( a painter of many blue paintings) and in a B&B in Urrugne

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked from SjdP to Irun in 2022. In the pilgrimsoffice in SjdP they had a routedescription but it was only an amorphous unstructured block of text. I found the routefinding sometimes difficult and confusing also due to many different markings from local routes. In the end it was no big problem.
I stayed in a gite in Bidarray, in a private gite from Andy Bleu ( a painter of many blue paintings) and in a B&B in Urrugne
The gite of Andy Bleu is in Espelette ( I forgot to mention that)

thanks

G’Day @ottoline ... at this weblink you will find the maps that you are after ...
<https://www.compostelle.fr/etapes/v...t-hendaye-irun/voie-nive-bidassoa-cartes-pdf/>

This website is maintained by the Association «Amis du Chemin Saint-Jacques des Pyrenées Atlantiques» who run the pilgrim office at Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port [Monique et Jean-Marie Aspirot and their team of dedicated volunteers] which you may or may not be family with🤔

The forums page might also be useful to you in planning your journey on this connector route : <https://www.compostelle.fr/forums/>. If you are on FB there are a couple of anglophone groups focussed on the Via Podiensis / Voie du Puy-en-Velay and where you might also find helpful answers to any other questions that you might have re the «Voie de Nive Bidassoa» ... bon preparatifs, bon chemin et Ultreïa👣👣👣

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is a route in the Pyrenees GR10 that connects Saint Jean Pied de Port to Hendaye. Travel from Hendaye to Irun by foot, Euskotren train and bus. The Euskotren runs every 30 minutes and takes you to Irun in less than 5 minutes.
GR10 kml file download is https://www.gr-infos.com/gr10.htm

Google Voie de La Nive.
it was pretty well sign posted with Camino shells in 2019
John

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back