• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bicycling the Camino Sureste 1100 kms in the Spring

Old Hillwalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Del Norte 2022
Hello

I have walked Caminos and other trails in Spain for 8 of the last ten years beginning in 2013 at the age of 74. For all except last years time on the Norte I carried my own backpack. (big mistake not doing it this time)
Now at the age of 84 I am planning to rent a bicycle and ride from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic from Alicante on the Costa Blanca to Santiago - Muxia/Finisterre during the month of May 2024. I will be renting from Bicyclesonthecamino.com in Santiago who will deliver the Bike on April 30 to my rental lodging in Alicante. I intend to Arrive in Alicante on April 27th and spend a couple of days visiting the city. My rental period will be for 30 days since I intend to slowly make my way north following the path of Don Quixote and visiting the walled city of Avila and a number of other notable cities and World Heritage sites. I realize that 30 days could, for some people, be almost enough time to walk from Alicante to Santiago but I would like to keep my rides under 50 km a day and smell lots of Roses.

Purists please forgive me, but my rental bicycle is going to be an E-MTB. I don't need a Compostela as my first was in 2013 and one is enough for me.

The main gist of all these words is an attempt to find a biking partner for this Quixotian adventure. Anyone?

Tom "Old Hillwalker" Wheeler Maine, USA

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola @Old Hillwalker As one cyclist to another best wishes. Don't worry about the E-bike comments, use what you feel is best. My only other recommendation - bring the most secure cycle lock you can obtain, either in home country or Spain. Please do not rely on one supplied by the rental company. A very special Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I want to congratulate you on the courage to do what you propose, on the strength of will it must require do take on an adventure that most people of your (my, our, any) age would balk at, and on the wisdom of choosing an ebike for the purpose.

I started walking the Camino at 67, 7 years ago, and walked various caminos for a few years until I had to switch to a pushbike. Then, as the hills got steeper and steeper with time, the choice was either quit the Camino, which I didn’t want to do because I love it so much and it’s so important to me, or to buy an ebike.

I’ve been using an ebike for 18 months and a couple of thousand Camino kilometres and while of course walking is the best, and cycling a pushbike is second, if it’s a choice between not doing the Camino at all or using an ebike then no camino lover should hesitate for a second or pay any attention to purists or detractors. It’s a wonderful way to travel, and I can’t exaggerate the pleasure of reaching a familiar hill engraved through suffering on the memory from days of walking or pushbiking … and then just pushing the magic button and feeling the wings of angels waft you upwards, painlessly. And knowing that you’re still doing Camino when you wouldn't be able do it otherwise.

You’re an inspiration to everyone who's afraid that they’ll have to quit the Camino because of age or infirmity. Because we don’t have to give up. All we have to do is get our hands on an ebike and away we go into the sunset, gear in the panniers, cafe con leche lingering on the palate, a favourite albergue with just a few glorious kilometres to go. Ultreia!

Hello

I have walked Caminos and other trails in Spain for 8 of the last ten years beginning in 2013 at the age of 74. For all except last years time on the Norte I carried my own backpack. (big mistake not doing it this time)
Now at the age of 84 I am planning to rent a bicycle and ride from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic from Alicante on the Costa Blanca to Santiago - Muxia/Finisterre during the month of May 2024. I will be renting from Bicyclesonthecamino.com in Santiago who will deliver the Bike on April 30 to my rental lodging in Alicante. I intend to Arrive in Alicante on April 27th and spend a couple of days visiting the city. My rental period will be for 30 days since I intend to slowly make my way north following the path of Don Quixote and visiting the walled city of Avila and a number of other notable cities and World Heritage sites. I realize that 30 days could, for some people, be almost enough time to walk from Alicante to Santiago but I would like to keep my rides under 50 km a day and smell lots of Roses.

Purists please forgive me, but my rental bicycle is going to be an E-MTB. I don't need a Compostela as my first was in 2013 and one is enough for me.

The main gist of all these words is an attempt to find a biking partner for this Quixotian adventure. Anyone?

Tom "Old Hillwalker" Wheeler Maine, USA
WOW Well done and good luck "RESPECT". I am 67 and will do my first cycle camino in July. Although I use to be a regular cyclist in my younger days, I also opted for an E-Bike from Bicigrino. If I can get enough training miles in the legs and bum, I might still change it to a regular MTB.

WOW Well done and good luck "RESPECT". I am 67 and will do my first cycle camino in July. Although I use to be a regular cyclist in my younger days, I also opted for an E-Bike from Bicigrino. If I can get enough training miles in the legs and bum, I might still change it to a regular MTB.

I used a regular MTB for two years and I'd've stuck with it if I could. But it depends on which Camino you do ... The VDP and Portuguese are easy, the meseta is perfect, but I was able to do the Primitivo and Salvador this year with the ebike and there would've been no way for me to do either with the old MTB. So I'd say go for the MTB if you can and the bike if you must. One thing I will say ... After a solid MTB Camino your fitness level will be top of the scale. Enjoy!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I applaud you @Old Hillwalker, at 84, keeping the dream you have alive and planning your next!

My hubby owns a few different E-bikes and loves them. He is less able, nor particularly interested to walk Camino distances, but enjoys and loves being outdoors. We are in our car, driving down south for two months and he has brought two to ride on the twenty miles of trails in Gulf State park where we have seen E-bike use explode in the last two years, compared to the regular bikes of prior years. Most who use E-bikes in the park are Snowbird retirees. If it keeps them moving, biking farther and enjoying more of life outdoors, good for them.

We have watched Efren's E-bike vlog of the Frances route he did last year and it looked like a great alternative adventure.

I used a regular MTB for two years and I'd've stuck with it if I could. But it depends on which Camino you do ... The VDP and Portuguese are easy, the meseta is perfect, but I was able to do the Primitivo and Salvador this year with the ebike and there would've been no way for me to do either with the old MTB. So I'd say go for the MTB if you can and the bike if you must. One thing I will say ... After a solid MTB Camino your fitness level will be top of the scale. Enjoy!

I will be doing the Frances to Santiago, then the train to Porto and cycle from Porto to Santiago. Any further advice now that you know my planned routes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola @Old Hillwalker As one cyclist to another best wishes. Don't worry about the E-bike comments, use what you feel is best. My only other recommendation - bring the most secure cycle lock you can obtain, either in home country or Spain. Please do not rely on one supplied by the rental company. A very special Buen Camino.
Yes, That was one of my first thoughts. Thanks. Have a happy new year

I will be doing the Frances to Santiago, then the train to Porto and cycle from Porto to Santiago. Any further advice now that you know my planned routes.

MTB. No very serious hills on either route (of course you'd use the road for O Cebreiro etc and be happy to do a bit of pushing on occasion). One factor is getting an ebike on a Spanish train. It can be done but it's best avoided imo. The Porto to Santiago coastal is the best pushbike trail I've ever done, flat as a pancake and lovely riding boardwalks beside the sea.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back