• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Over 32K pilgrims from the U.S., the second highest after Spain, received compostelas in 2023, per Foundacion Jacobea

Gadflyparexcellence

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked in "2016," "2018," "2022."
The article below indicates that this represents more than 10-fold increase in the number of U.S residents receiving the Compostela in little more than ten years. It attributes much of this growth to the popularity of the film The Way.

Personally, when I did my first walk on the Camino in 2016, I had not even heard of the film. A few years later when I first saw the film, I didn't like it. It would be unfortunate if "hollywoodization of the Camino" - to use the words of a French peregrino I met during my last walk on the Camino - serves as the main reason for this surge instead of one's own internal search or quest.

https://www.fundacionjacobea.org/ca...-sobre-el-exito-del-camino-en-estados-unidos/

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think it is probably true that the movie has greatly increased the number of people from the US who walk the Caminos. But the influence of the film more widely is sometimes greatly exaggerated. I had a bizarre encounter with an avid fan of the movie in Melide in 2016. He asked me what I thought of the film and became quite angry at my lukewarm reply. He told me I should be more grateful for it because without it I would never have heard of the Caminos. A puzzler as I walked my first Camino twenty years before the film was released.

Yes, we are the cliche Americans who learned about and were inspired by The Way to walk. Still love the movie; have the soundtrack and listen to it on quiet mornings. Watch the movie at least once or twice a month (along with others in our collection).

The Camino is a part of our life thanks to Emilio E. and his dad.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The article below indicates that this represents more than 10-fold increase in the number of U.S residents receiving the Compostela in little more than ten years. It attributes much of this growth to the popularity of the film The Way.

Personally, when I did my first walk on the Camino in 2016, I had not even heard of the film. A few years later when I first saw the film, I didn't like it. It would be unfortunate if "hollywoodization of the Camino" - to use the words of a French peregrino I met during my last walk on the Camino - serves as the main reason for this surge instead of one's own internal search or quest.

https://www.fundacionjacobea.org/ca...-sobre-el-exito-del-camino-en-estados-unidos/
I am not American and like you I did not see the film before walking the Camino, although I did see it before walking the Camino Frances.

I haven't watched again, although I probably will at some stage, but I do think this is an ungenerous characterisation. It crams a lot more drama into the story than the average pilgrim would experience in a lifetime of Caminos, but only a couple of incidents jarred. Overall it was meant to be respectful of the Camino and I think it is. It is certainly a particular type of Camino but one that resonates with many people.

I think the broader internet including Youtube and blogs probably count for more in the growth of numbers. Once someone watches one Camino video on YT the algorithm will feed them more and the seed is sown.

I would also think that word of mouth amongst American Catholics will play its part.

That's a pretty significant increase. The movie is clearly very well-known, and as per Janet's comment above will certainly have led a large number of people to the camino that may not otherwise have done it.
The same is true of equivalent movies / documentaries in German and Korean. They've raised the camino's profile.

Although I've never seen any of them, I've seen the slightly more modern equivalent - YouTube videos. Which I suspect are going to be another major driver of pilgrims.

There will always be those of us who find a trail , a castle, a beach, a cafe , long before it becomes famous. In many years of travel I've never carried a guidebook. I'm not saying I haven't read them before leaving to get ideas, but personally I prefer to explore and discover things myself. But others do not.

one's own internal search or quest.
Perhaps. But one has to know about the camino in order to walk it.

Edit: sorry Gadfly, I accidentally cut off a large part of the paragraph that I meant to quote, but I think you can understand my point

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I watched the movie some years after walking the Camino Frances for the first and second times. I found it fairly entertaining but I wasn't particularly moved or inspired by it. I think that those who first learned about the Caminos by seeing the movie often have a more positive and enthusiastic view of it than those who first came to the Caminos by another route. Which is quite understandable. Amongst many other things I am particularly grateful to my late mother-in-law for introducing me to the Caminos. If that initial introduction had come by means of a Hollywood movie instead then I might share that more positive view.

Hola, G'Day, Howdy??
I too am one of The Way film fanclub. I have the DVD and regularly play the special features, especially the conversation between Emilio, Martin and David about how they cast each character, filmed or created some of the scenes (especially the Haystack sequence). It provides significant background to the film.
Now for the significant increase in US pilgrims. I suggest its a two fold increase - (1) a group of people who nothing about the Camino saw the film and decided it was a great way to see a part of Spain (and get a little exercise; (2) Its a post COVID event, after being locked up for one/two/three years many Americans had a break-out and walking the Camino was a great way to see the country. Cheers to all my American cousins.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
"The Way" film always seems to crop up on the forum from time to time and some see it as a negative influence. Many Americans in particular have only learned of the Camino because of seeing that film, and for me it literally set me free to experience something unique and special.
When I retired early in 2014, I contemplated how I might decide to fill some of my extra time in addition to going South for two months in the winter. Right at that very time I saw The Way...and here I am, still participating on this forum, always thinking about a "next Camino".
I have sometimes wondered what I'd be doing as a retiree if I hadn't seen that movie. I doubt I would have known of its existence today. I have family, friends and travel in my life, but the extra satisfaction the Camino provides has become part of who I am.

I think it is probably true that the movie has greatly increased the number of people from the US who walk the Caminos. But the influence of the film more widely is sometimes greatly exaggerated. I had a bizarre encounter with an avid fan of the movie in Melide in 2016. He asked me what I thought of the film and became quite angry at my lukewarm reply. He told me I should be more grateful for it because without it I would never have heard of the Caminos. A puzzler as I walked my first Camino twenty years before the film was released.
yikes😱

I saw the film before my first Camino but it wasn't the reason I went. I enjoyed it but wasn't bowled over. To quote from one of the many translations of the first line of the Tao te Ching: " The way that is the way is not the way". Lao Tau would've done the Camino if he hadn't lived three thousand years ago. Maybe he did it anyway.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good for them for turning up. In days gone by they might have heard about the Camino Pilgrimage from the pulpit, or read a book, so what if people have only just heard about from a more recent medium... TV

Many people turn up in Paris to see the Mona Lisa only because they have been told about it or seen pictures in a book or god forbid ..it's appearance on tv.

Art , literature and everything else ... always going to be lovers and haters and not really worthy of much thought if I or others don't like something.

I rather doubt that many Americans heard about the camino though The Way. I suspect that they were told about the movie by others who either walked the way themselves or by those who thought that the listener would like the movie for hiking or pilgrimage (or Martin Sheen).

In our case though we did watch the DVD and it especially sparked Peg's interest as she knew of the Camino from parroquial school and a friend who summered in SdC. She liked the idea of a long walk without having to sleep on the ground for a change.

She liked the idea of a long walk without having to sleep on the ground for a change.
That was a huge motivation for me as well.
I'd done plenty of camping over the years visiting many national parks in the US while raising our boys.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I hadn't even heard of the movie until after I had made my plans. I was searching for a vacation option that both my kid (a confirmed walker/hiker/backpacker) and I (a confirmed cultural traveler and, like Peg and Chrissy, someone who wants to sleep in an actual bed at night) would enjoy, and in the process found out about the Camino.

I am not American and like you I did not see the film before walking the Camino, although I did see it before walking the Camino Frances.

I haven't watched again, although I probably will at some stage, but I do think this is an ungenerous characterisation. It crams a lot more drama into the story than the average pilgrim would experience in a lifetime of Caminos, but only a couple of incidents jarred. Overall it was meant to be respectful of the Camino and I think it is. It is certainly a particular type of Camino but one that resonates with many people.

I think the broader internet including Youtube and blogs probably count for more in the growth of numbers. Once someone watches one Camino video on YT the algorithm will feed them more and the seed is sown.

I would also think that word of mouth amongst American Catholics will play its part.
Agreed! We will walk our first of hopefully many Caminos This coming December. The book Walking with Sam by Andrew McCarthy was our main inspiration, then going down the very deep, long rabbit hole of videos of every route on YouTube made us commit.

The Way was good, but did little to influence us.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think The Way certainly influenced a number of Americans to walk the Camino. I suspect that by now, though, far more are influenced by what they hear from family or friends who are coming back from Caminos. If, upon my return, I gush to 50 people, 2 or 3 of whom are inspired to walk their own Caminos and then they gush to everyone they know and each inspire 2 or 3 more, well, then we are getting into exponential growth. There are enough Americans doing the Camino now that the chances of someone hearing about the Camino and its attractions from a friend or family member are much greater than the chances of them encountering it in a movie. Or so it seems to me.

My husband was raised Catholic, went to Catholic Grammar School, Catholic High School, attended Salesian Brothers Summer Camp and has attended Mass probably every Sunday in his 72 years. He had never heard of the Camino de Santiago until we saw "The Way" back in 2011.
If you are an American, living in the United States, that seems to be the way you hear about it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As an American, years ago I first saw The Way with the pastor of my church, along with my family at Mount St. Mary’s, a small women’s college in Los Angeles. Martin Sheen, his son, Emilio Estevez, and the producer afterwards went onstage for a film discussion and Q&A. Mr. Sheen is a longtime parishioner of my small Catholic church, and both he and his sons are in the Industry, the moniker for Hollywood in my town. The Way understandably used the formulaic Hollywood urgencies and elegy to resonate with audiences, while IMO illuminating this over 1,000 year old Catholic pilgrimage in a respectful way.

I was not yet inspired to go, as back then my chronic pain, fatigue, and worse had become overwhelming. My symptoms would later be diagnosed as 2 autoimmune diseases.

The beloved and highly educated pastor of my church had walked the CF pilgrimage over a span of many years in spurts, as his schedule allowed. He had nothing but praise for The Way, though as a native Los Angelano, he was cognizant of the Industry’s need for drama in a film. Last year, my church held a dinner for parishioners and showed The Way. Martin Sheen kindly spoke afterwards, sharing that the cast became lifelong friends, and how the filming of The Way brought him closer to his director son. They are hatching a sequel.

The film inspired me after last year‘s showing to commit to a pilgrimage, planning for a time after I will have recovered from a string of needful pain relief surgeries. I met a medical doctor and professor in Umbria last year, who said that these surgeries were unavailable in Italy. A medical doctor, who had stayed with my family years ago as a foreign exchange student, said that the pain relief surgeries are not done in Germany.

An old college friend, a lapsed Catholic and ignorant of The Way, had walked The Way a few years ago as a tourist alongside her pilgrim friend, getting her “compostela” stamped in bars and restaurants, lol. She also had walked The Way in spurts. Another old college friend, a Catholic, and newly retired, pilgrimaged last year on the CF. Yet another college friend, also Catholic, pilgrimaged the Camino Portugues last year. Neither had seen The Way. BTW, we all graduated about 40 years ago.

I liked The Way, though I can empathize with seasoned camino pilgrims/tourists about the increased numbers on the camino. Every summer, my town is inundated with beachgoers from over the hill. Then social media made it worse. A nearby state beach was posted on social media, and every day about 500+ visitors amassed at this once quiet, sleepy beach, in a parking lot meant for 40 cars. The visitors, after parking on either side of the state highway, would amble on this 55 MPH highway, loaded down with beach accoutrements. I thank God for my ABS brakes, for that is what saved a young family with a toddler, as they blindly stepped into oncoming traffic. I was in the right lane with a car in the next lane and one behind me, and we were all going the speed limit. I can still remember the sound and feeling of braking like crazy. We all were able to stop our cars. I recall the young mother cursing at us. Us drivers went on our way. Often the beach visitors acted like the state highway was a residential street, unmindful of the 55 MPH traffic. After 3 pedestrians were killed by oncoming, not speeding cars, the State posted and enforced no parking zones within a mile of the beach, as well as large, lit signs cautioning the drivers about pedestrians. Not much later, a short hike to a little known seasonal falls a few miles away from me was posted on social media. Hundreds of visitors descend on the tiny parking lot every weekend, even when there’s no water to make the falls. Some visitors walk alongside their family or friends, right in the path of oncoming traffic in a 50 MPH zone. No one has yet been killed by oncoming traffic, though several auto collision fatalities occurred closeby.

The 32K American pilgrims visiting along the caminos have not endangered any lives. They have boosted the local economies along the caminos. The greater numbers means that pilgrims have more people to converse with along the caminos, for those who like to talk with pilgrim/tourist strangers. (I have read posts about that.)

I will note that the Camino de Santiago originated and was used by Catholics for over 1,000 years. It is wonderful that people of many faiths, lapsed faiths, as well as no faith have walked the Caminos these past 50+ years. Were any of you, as a non-Catholic, derided by a Catholic for walking a camino? Ponder that before you declaim the increased number of camino visitors.

That Sheen chappie has a lot to answer for! I stumbled across the Via Podiensis while on holiday in the Auvergne, and the rest is (my) history. I have since seen The Way and thought it a mixed bag, with some really amusing bits and some (eg the Gypsy family in Burgos) toe-curlingly patronising. But if it encourages people to walk 500 miles across Spain, it can only be a good thing.

When I first walked the camino the last year it was because of YouTube video I watched in 2019. I watched a few more videos and it wasn't till about 6 months later that I seen the movie. I liked the movie and still watch it on and off. But I thought the YouTube videos showed more of the reality of the Camino. Blisters, walking farther when not being able to get a room in a town, taking a bus or taxi when getting an injury, slogging through the rain and mud. There are so many YouTube videos out there now on the Camino and with easy access I think they help driving the numbers up. But at 65 I was fortunate enough to be able to walk it last year thanks to watching a YouTube video on the Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Were any of you, as a non-Catholic, derided by a Catholic for walking a camino? Ponder that before you declaim the increased number of camino visitors.
On this forum, when I expressed the fact that I walked the Camino for non-religious/non-spiritual reasons, one poster suggested that I was taking advantage of the support given by the Church and various Catholic organizations.

On this forum, when I expressed the fact that I walked the Camino for non-religious/non-spiritual reasons, one poster suggested that I was taking advantage of the support given by the Church and various Catholic organizations.
I set out on my first Camino for a cheap walking holiday - although I didn’t use any facilities which were not entirely commercial. My motivation slowly changed en-route and I’d be hard-pressed to put a name to it 14 years and many Camino routes later.

I never watch tv and rarely movies. I see more movies on flights to and from Spain than I do the rest of the year. I have watched The Way several times, twice in theaters. No violence. No meanness.
I remember when I first watched it (after a couple of Caminos) my first thought was that the pilgrims in the film tended to be meaner to each other for most of the movie than was my experience on the Camino. I guess they needed to create some conflict. Others complained about the lack of blisters, etc. in the film but the pilgrims being pretty consistently mean to each other until they eventually came together was where I thought it was most unrealistic. But I might not have had that impression if I had watched it before a Camino instead of after.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Others complained about the lack of blisters, etc. in the film …
Blisters: For my last several long distance wilderness hikes in Alaska (Chilkoot Trail) and Canada (Banff/Skyline Trail), and California (Kearsarge Pass, Mt Whitney), besides my local trails, both my husband and I experienced no blisters. We are not strangers to blisters. What works for us: well fitted, lightweight (appropriate to pack weight) hiking boots, thick padded hiking wool socks (Smartwool PhD), and slathering on a tremendous amount of Vaseline.
mean to each other until they eventually came together was where I thought it was most unrealistic.
The main character’s plight did not lend itself to being welcoming. He lost his only child. His grief was worsened by the fact that he was estranged from his son. He did not understand his son’s life choices, and realized belatedly that he knew little about his son, let alone that his son had embarked on a pilgrimage. The father was grieving, and understandably short with others. Some take that as mean. The point was that the father did not remain embittered. That happens in real life. He could have stayed angry, and turned away from God, much like I have seen an in-law do.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The main character’s plight did not lend itself to being welcoming. He lost his only child. His grief was worsened by the fact that he was estranged from his son. He did not understand his son’s life choices, and realized belatedly that he knew little about his son, let alone that his son had embarked on a pilgrimage. The father was grieving, and understandably short with others. Some take that as mean. The point was that the father did not remain embittered. That happens in real life. He could have stayed angry, and turned away from God, much like I have seen an in-law do.
And had it only been the main character who was mean to the other pilgrims that would have been one thing. But it wasn't.

If you look back over the statistics you can see that the numbers of Americans as a percentage did go up in the few years right after the movie came out but then in most of the last decade the percentage of Americans was relatively stable around 5-6% of total pilgrims. This year it was a bit over 7% but I can’t help to think it might normalize as many pilgrims I met this year on the Frances were walking their “2020” Camino. Only time will tell but honestly it only takes a small number to move the % of Americans…. 32,000 of 440,000 this year

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.